Home General Discussion

If you only had $2.00...........

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
Newbie needs help from the pros here.
Some you don't smoke $2.00 sticks, so you may not be able to help me.
I need an " inexpensive" stick for the moochers.
These are not close friends who I want to treat to a decent cigar, but rather "friends" and pseudo-relatives who I have to tolerate for various reasons, and who would not appreciate a good smoke, but who will want a smoke one because it seems like fun, or a cool thing to do around the camp fire, etc..

I'm too poor to give them my better sticks.
I don't want to get total crap sticks either, because I'll be smoking them on occasion as well.

Currently Ccom has the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 and the La Perla Habana Classic Toro on the "Pick Any Two" deal. That would get me 20 sticks at $2.00/ea.

Anyone have any knowledge about these?
Anyone have any better suggestions?
The "style" of cigar isn't really that important - value for the buck is most important.

Thanks for any input
CoveKing

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Im not a fan personally, but the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 has a TON of fans that sing its praises. For my money, the Verdadero Organic can be had for under $40 for a box of twenty and it is an excellent stick.

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    KingoftheCove:
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002
    That's the one I would suggest. It's a good smoke, and then when you factor in the price it becomes pretty impressive. You may end up keeping them for yourself. Make sure you get the robustos.

5 veg gold is another giveaway stick that I keep around. If you keep an eye out they can be had for super cheap.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    If you don't do the La Perla's here are some sub-$2 choices:

Oliveros Classic

Macanudo (Caviar vitola)

Devil's Weed

Flor de Oliva (a little above $2 a stick)

Cusano M1 (Cafe Rubusto vitola)

Arganese Conn.

1876 Reserve

Hope that helps. Some of those are box purchases only, but are well below $2 per stick. The first three are connecticuts which won't make beginners throw up on your Persian rug.

Good night, and good luck!

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I don't know how firm you are on 2.00, but the box price on house blends is around 2.30 for coronas and robustos. I've tried a few, all were great, really like the sun grown right now. Of course if you wait around for a sale you might get down to the 2.00 mark.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ill second the flor de oliva
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    I think the Carlos Torano Dominico might fit the bill. A decent smoke for the price. You can get a Mazo of 20 robustos for under 35.00
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    well if you need sticks for the moochers i may be able to help you out.
    pm sent to you KingoftheCove
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Thanks all for the suggestions!
    Gonna make a pick tomorrow am - or maybe in 10 minutes or so when Ccom updates the deals for the day.

One thing which bugs me a little (very little actually) is that Ccom won't let me pick 2 of the same items in the pick any two deal...................bummer.
    I called a few weeks ago about that and asked - they said no. They should reconsider that policy...............they would have had two more sales from me already, at least.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Carlos Torano Dominico, hands down. $1.50-2.00 a stick, and they are awesome smokes.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    CCOM Sungrown, Brazilian, Cuban and Red Labels are all fantastic smokes and can be had in that price range. Also I'll second the Verdado Organic, I don't smoke a lot of mild cigars and this is one of the ones I love!
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    KingoftheCove:
    One thing which bugs me a little (very little actually) is that Ccom won't let me pick 2 of the same items in the pick any two deal

Can you buy two of the samplers? As in, get item A and item B in the 'pick any two' and put it in your cart. Then do another 'pick any two' and select items A and B again. You'd be set for a while on sticks to pass out doing it that way if it'll let you.

I also agree with the Sun Grown Label House blend...
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    yea, but I don't want Item B - I want to get two of Item A if that makes sense......

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    The House Blends Red Label is a really really good cigar, especially in the small ring gauge. they are good as a handout smoke but also good as an inexpensive smoke for you.
  • ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Cu-avana original with the connie wrapper is a great underrated stick...
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    MTuccelli:
    I think the Carlos Torano Dominico might fit the bill. A decent smoke for the price. You can get a Mazo of 20 robustos for under 35.00

+1 Hands down, the number one cigar I would go for at that price range. They age wonderfully, thanks again Alienmisprint. Oh, the actual price is $29.95 a mazo of 20. Also, if you want something that is pretty flavorful but mild. Go with the 1876 Reserve and they are $25.95 a mazo of 25. Now that's less then $2 dollars for yea.

Edit: Drpepperdude has a very a good list for you right at the start of your thread.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Reposado '96 is a nice fat salomon by AJ Fernandez; comes in boxes of 40, so you can hand them out all day

• t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    dennisking:
    The House Blends Red Label is a really really good cigar, especially in the small ring gauge. they are good as a handout smoke but also good as an inexpensive smoke for you.
    +1
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Just noticed something...

Cigar.com House Blends Robusto Super Sampler
    24 Sticks, assorted blends, 49.95
    That's $2.08/stick AND you get a nice variety.
    Not sure you can beat that buying a box or mazo.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    The GH Vintage 2002 is available in a bundle of 20 for 39.99 all the time if that is what you are looking for and a decent stick
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Ken Light:
    Just noticed something...

Cigar.com House Blends Robusto Super Sampler
    24 Sticks, assorted blends, 49.95
    That's $2.08/stick AND you get a nice variety.
    Not sure you can beat that buying a box or mazo.
    I'll second this. Variety is nice not only for handing out to match the right type of cigar to the right type of person or circumstance but also for yourself if you want these cigars to be ones you can grab and smoke too. There are so many good cigars out there I rarely want 20 of just one kind very often.
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    For cheap sticks I'm a big fan of the Bahia Trinidad, I believe a mazo of 20 is about 40 bucks. I haven;t tried the maduro or blu yet but the few trinidads I had I really enjoyed.