Home General Discussion

Beantown baby!!!

lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
I'm going to Boston for the first time next month. I'm stoked! I'll be there July 1-3. My wife has conferences for work, so I'm tagging along. She'll be at conferences all morning and afternoon, leaving me to wander the city alone. B&Ms here I come!

Taking any and all recommendations from my east coast BOTLs. Don't know where I'll be staying yet, but probably in the city center.

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Cigar Masters on Boylston St. Always a safe bet. If going by train, get off at the Copley Square station on the Green line and walk one block west. There's also a Morton's Steak House on that block. Steak is good.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and check that place out!
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    I live about an hr north in NH I might be down to hang out and go to Boston
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Sorry, Y2, but I have to disagree on both counts. I've never been impressed with the humidors in Cigar Masters and they're way overpriced. I'd say head outside the city and check out some B&Ms and restaurants in other towns. Morton's was also overpriced for so-so steak. I've had better for less.

Hop on the commuter rail and head up to Salem. Everything is in walking distance from the train stop and there's Red Lion Smoke Shop - they should still have opuses in as they haven't been selling all that quickly since the economy went down. Plus, I was in there recently and they had Camacho Triple Maduros. Next to that place is Gulu Gulu Cafe - decent food and amazing beer selection. Across the street is Greenland Cafe - amazing food, decent beer selection and good drink selection (go there for dinner - their lunch menu isn't too impressive). Around the block is Jaho - amazing coffee house, right near the water.

If you have a car and don't mind driving out of Boston - hit up Alia in Winthrop. Said is the owner/chef and makes amazing Mediterranean food (he's Moroccan and his wife is Italian) - plus it's BYOB, so the food bill ends up being cheap and you can bring a really nice bottle of wine for much less than if you'd purchased it in a restaurant. WAY outside Boston, I'd say go to Wild Bytes in Amesbury. The chef/owner, Tony is from Florence and can cook the way most Italian grandmother's used to. EVERYTHING in there is home made. It's a little more expensive but well worth it.

If you're staying inside Boston, I'd recommend Mistral, Duoro (sushi), Capital Grille is always a good choice for steak and I've heard Abe and Louie's is great for steak as well as Smith and Wollensky.

If you're willing to travel a bit and want a good smoke lounge, head up to NH and meet up with Rasch at Federal in either Portsmouth or Plaistow. Amazing selection, great prices, great guys that run the place, not much more to ask for. Two guys has a huge selection, prices are reasonable and good smoking lounges. There's a place in Middleton, MA that has hand rolled cigars (double check first, as I just heard from a friend who's friends with the owner that they got in trouble for their hand rolls with tax issues) - the Old Cuban Cigar Factory. A short hike out west to Sudbury and you're at Victory Cigar - full bar, decent walk-in, good prices and TVs and cushy leather couches.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or even if you wanna meet up while you're here.
    Wow, Rob! Thanks for all the info. I think I'll be sticking to downtown, though. I won't have very much time for travel. I wanna make the most of the short time I'm there. Abe and Louie's looks awesome. I might have to try it. A BOTL on another forum recommended this place: http://stanzadeisigari.com/. I think it's a "must-try" on my list.

Still don't know where I'm staying yet, so we'll see how that plays a factor on my itinerary.....
    Stanza is cool atmosphere but pricy and limited selection
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I live 20 mins. outisde of Boston. When you know more about your plans, let me know. Maybe I can hook up with you if I'm avail. Cigars/Tobacco is really expensive here with the sales tax & tobacco tax on top. Can definitely recommed some restaraunts. The famous North End for un-beatable Italian. Water front of Un-Beatable seafood. Fanuel Hall, etc. etc.
    Wing not sure if you know schedule yet but we shoul try to get a herf going that sat
    RaschNuts:
    Wing not sure if you know schedule yet but we shoul try to get a herf going that sat
    Well, I think I'm set on Stanzi de Sigari on Sat. My wife has been there before and she wants to go back. They open at noon so, I'm shooting for around that time. If you wanna meet up, I'll shoot you my number in a PM and we can get in touch by text while I'm in Boston.

KCW, the same goes for you too..... or anyone else who's up for a herf. A guy from another forum is up for a herf too. This could be a multi-forum herf!
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I was just there for St. Patty's. What a great place. Me and my girlfriend really enjoy history and the city had it in gobs. Unfortunately, I did not have time to check out any B&Ms. Hope you have a great time while you're there.
    lilwing88:
    RaschNuts:
    Well, I think I'm set on Stanzi de Sigari on Sat. My wife has been there before and she wants to go back. They open at noon so, I'm shooting for around that time. If you wanna meet up, I'll shoot you my number in a PM and we can get in touch by text while I'm in Boston.

KCW, the same goes for you too..... or anyone else who's up for a herf. A guy from another forum is up for a herf too. This could be a multi-forum herf!
    You know guys...I may be able to make this. I gotta child watching duties Saturday night, but my be able to do a Saturday afternoon herf in the North End. lilwing, PM me the specifics if you can.
    Looks we might have a little herf on our hands.... Should be a good time. Hope to see you all there!
    I may have to stop over at Mike's Pastries for a canolli as well.
    y2pascoe:
    I may have to stop over at Mike's Pastries for a canolli as well.
    My wife and I have been seeing dozens of people walking around carrying boxes from Mike's Pastries. Can't wait to get there to try something.... you may have to stand in line behind us!!!
    Had a great time in Boston this weekend. Thanks to Mike (y2pascoe) and Josh (Raschnuts) for meeting up with me in the North End. Stanzi dei Sigari was a cool joint. Had a great time herfing with you guys. Josh, thanks a ton for the Anarchy and the MF Special. Can't wait to try them both. Josh, wish we coulda hung out longer with you buddy, sorry. But we had to get some food in our stomachs. All that Italian food was calling our names! LOL! (BTW we went to Mike's Pastries and got a couple cannolis and a "Lobster Tail"...frickin awesome!) My wife had a great time too and was excited to meet some of my "cigar friends", as she calls them.

Anyone who hasn't been to Boston yet, needs to go. It's a really cool city.

I'll post up some pics soon. I didn't get any of the herf, but I got a couple cool touristy shots.
    lilwing88:
    Had a great time in Boston this weekend. Thanks to Mike (y2pascoe) and Josh (Raschnuts) for meeting up with me in the North End. Stanzi dei Sigari was a cool joint. Had a great time herfing with you guys. Josh, thanks a ton for the Anarchy and the MF Special. Can't wait to try them both. Josh, wish we coulda hung out longer with you buddy, sorry. But we had to get some food in our stomachs. All that Italian food was calling our names! LOL! (BTW we went to Mike's Pastries and got a couple cannolis and a "Lobster Tail"...frickin awesome!) My wife had a great time too and was excited to meet some of my "cigar friends", as she calls them.

Anyone who hasn't been to Boston yet, needs to go. It's a really cool city.

I'll post up some pics soon. I didn't get any of the herf, but I got a couple cool touristy shots.
    Glad you guys had fun. No worries on leaving it's my fault for getting there late.
    It was great meeting you folks. Marty, I'm glad you and the wife enjoyed Boston. Josh, let's do it again sometime!