Home Cigar 101

Bead question

tuckaholictuckaholic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 22
So here with another question for everyone.  I'm having success with the new humi thus far.  It seems to be seasoning nicely and is creating a good seal.  I'm having a helluva time trying to get the supplied humidifier to stick to the top of the humi.  I was thinking about going the bead route.  I was doing some research and found that the beads that heartfelt sells are not specifically designed for humidor use.  They are simply a polymer bead designed to soak up and release water keeping the moisture between the beads and the environment the same.  I guess my question is has anyone experiemented with any other brand of polymer beads.  I found a moisture control bead.  Its made by a company by the name of watersorb.  (www.watersorb.com)  The price is much better then heartfelt.  For 19.95 you get 2lb's of the watersorb.   Any insight or opinions?  Thanks again!!!

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    I am not going to bash beads because i've never tried them but i have 2 humis a 50 and a 100-"ish" both running on gel crystals. 1 2 oz jar in the 50 and 3oz rectangle in the 100, i've never ever had a problem with either. I alternate refilling with 50/50 and then 3 months later just distilled. Just my .02 cents
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i dont know the other brands.

but if you wanna go even cheaper than that you can go with kitty litter. i cant remember off the top of my head what brand it is and you have to "train " the litter, but it works.

and just because heartfelt didnt specifically design the beads to work in a humidor does not mean that it doesnt work in one. Ive used their beads for years. never once had a problem.

the watersorb crystals that you mentioned are not only not specifically designed for a humidor but are also not even advertised as being able to hold a very specific RH. there was no mention (that i could find) of them holding a 70% humidity or a 65% humidity.
    they seem to be used for agricultural purposes, mainly to prevent water loss and waste watering.
  • tuckaholictuckaholic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 22
    I wasn't trying to knock the advice that you gave me.  I was just doing research on beads and that was one of the things that I read somewhere else on the internet.  I was just curious if anyone had any other experience.  I appreciate all the knowledge and help i've received from this forum. 
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i didnt htink you were. i was just telling my view in as few words as i could.

its very hard to discern intent on a forum.

take it with a grain of salt
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    oooh flame wars! lol.. I have used the heartfelt beads for some time and they seem to work wonders..