Home General Discussion

A first for me.

MESKCMESKC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
I was travling and ran across a B/M i have never seen, so I sent in toe look. They has a large walkin pretty good secetion. As I was was looking there is was MOLD. They had four boxes of Liga Privada's #9's and T52's covered on mold. This my friend was not plume. It was 3D and was sticking about A 1/16 of an inch off the cigars and was random.. I told the lady at teh counter that they had mold and she said "that is plume" I showed and she insisted that it was plume. I they turned away and walked out. I have never see mold at a B/M. Has anyone else seen this before?

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Yes, the B&M near me (if you could call it 'near'...nothing is near me) has a decent selection at decent prices, especially in NH with no sales tax. I pulled out an AF Don Carlos and saw spots of mold on it. I said " Uhhhhhh...I think this cigar has mold on it." The owner came over, looked and said "That's plume. That cigar is ready to go."

I took it mostly out of the cello and the mold wiped off cleanly. There was no other sign of mold anywhere else so I still bought it and smoked it (&%^# it). But still, it leaves me wondering if I couldn't do a better job owning a B&M than most of the owners I've met who obviously know even less about cigars than me.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I think some B&M owners think all consumers wouldn't know the difference between plume and mold so they can just call everything plume, hoping you wouldn't know the difference.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I stopped in a B&M in cetral NH and looked around their walk-in and in the center of the middle row was a half dozen boxes all with mold all over the cigars. too many and differant brands and makes to all be plume so I walked out and bought nothing I don't care to buy from a store where they have so much mold and to desire to correct the problem.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I found two sticks with mold on them in my humi both in the same drawer they are under quarantine. hate to through away but I must do what I must do..
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    cooch36:
    I found two sticks with mold on them in my humi both in the same drawer they are under quarantine. hate to through away but I must do what I must do..
    If it's just on the wrapper wipe it off and smoke 'em.
  • MarmicoMarmico Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 93
    Telford's in Mill Valley, CA. After pointing out that they had mold all over most of their high-end stock, the owner insisted that some smokers 'prefer' the cigars with some mold on them. I refuse to buy anything from them ever again. I don't understand how anyone who calls themselves a cigar enthusiast, or even a cigar smoker, can allow mold on their cigars in their B&M. It baffles me!
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    Marmico:
    Telford's in Mill Valley, CA. After pointing out that they had mold all over most of their high-end stock, the owner insisted that some smokers 'prefer' the cigars with some mold on them. I refuse to buy anything from them ever again. I don't understand how anyone who calls themselves a cigar enthusiast, or even a cigar smoker, can allow mold on their cigars in their B&M. It baffles me!

I can't beat that story! But...

About a year ago I was desperate (my local B&M wasn't open on Mondays) so I stopped in the Tobacco Outlet or whatever it's called. They had a box of RyJ Reserva Reals with obvious mold on several. When I pointed it out to the guy behind the counter (who also happened to be the manager), he just shrugged and said, "Huh, well, I don't go in there to check all that often." At least he had the common sense to remove the offending ones. I haven't been back.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Marmico:
    Wait what? Wow......