Home General Discussion

Gurhka Nightmare....and redemption

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
Hi All,
Newbie here - smoked cigars in the 70s and 80s, and early 90s retired in 1995 (kids, etc.) - then started again late 2010 (my kids are grown up, I work too hard and need SOME enjoyment in life - time for stogies again!)
Can't afford what I used to smoke (Fuentes and Macanudos) - but there has been a LOT of changes in the industry since I quit - lots of new players - and I'm slowly getting to know them and find my favorites that I can afford (Padilla, Gurhka, PDR, Red Dot Cohibas, and Rocky Patel).

The Internet has changed things as well (how did we even survive without the Internet?) - I still find it an amazing "tool" that everyone under 30 simply takes for granted....enough background...time for a short tale.

So C.com had a nice deal for 5 Gurhka Titans and 5 Red Dot Cohibas which I jumped on. Put them in my humi and let them sit for a while. Then had a red dot - delicious, gonna get more as soon as they're on sale.

The next day I went for the Titan, looked and smelled great, but felt a bit "moist". I went ahead and snipped it, the pre-light draw was tight - I figured it would loosen up.
So (looking back) I made two novice mistakes before I even lit up!
I went ahead and lit it, and it was a tough go from the start - and I did did just about EVERYTHING wrong that one could do, to screw up a good cigar.
Long story short - I had to ditch it  1/2 way through, and it wasn't a good experience - I was really bummed out.

Went on the net (on this site and others) and discovered all the blunders I made, and the remedies to take when a stick is too moist.
So today, I got up at 5am for work. On my way out I took out a Titan from my humi (which I keep at 70rh) and took it out of the wrapper and placed into my now "dry box" (a 20 count small humidor that I used to use to hold cutters, matches, etc.) - and let it sit there until 2pm - then took it out of that box and let it sit on my table for 45 minutes.

That Titan had a totally different "feel" and was one of the best smokes I've had since coming out of retirement - it's now my favorite along with the Padilla Black Bear.

I'm still a part time smoker (3 per week, one each on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) - but it sure is relaxing and gives me a mini-vacation every weekend.

CoveKing (back in the stogie saddle!)

Comments

• drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    First, welcome to the ccom forums! Where do you hail from?

You seem to have the same taste in cigars as I.

In case you hadn't seen it yet, ccom is doing a great deal on a LOT of Gurkha's. Here's the link to cigar.com's Gurkha Guerilla Warfare page. Last I remember they said they'd be doing these deals until June or July.

The Titan is among them.

Hang around here and we will turn you into a full-time cigar smoker in no time flat!

• RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    drpepperdude:
    First, welcome to the ccom forums! Where do you hail from?

You seem to have the same taste in cigars as I.

In case you hadn't seen it yet, ccom is doing a great deal on a LOT of Gurkha's. Here's the link to cigar.com's Gurkha Guerilla Warfare page. Last I remember they said they'd be doing these deals until June or July.

The Titan is among them.

Hang around here and we will turn you into a full-time cigar smoker in no time flat!

+1 What a intro, wow. Welcome to the forum, we have a bunch of great guys and gals here. Looks like you figured that problem out and that's good. Hate to see a good stogie go to waste. Drpepperdude summed it up. Look forward to seeing more of your posts on what you've tried. Hope you enjoy the fellowship here.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Welcome aboard this is the best forum for info and the people here are great. Congrats on comming out of retirement.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Welcome King..Newbie ? Hardly. Nice to have you here with us.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    Welcome! With this group, you should be back in the saddle all too quickly. There is so much knowledge both in the forums that you could read for months. Luckily the search tool works great and will speed up the return of your memory quickly. Glad retirement is treating you well, shame we don't learn to relax and take some time for ourselves more before then. Oh well, you have made it back into the fold. Enjoy the ride! p.s. when you have a moment, fill in your details in your profile.
  • Husker44Husker44 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 172
    Welcome

There is a Cohiba 5er and RP 5er daily deal today. Check under Daily Deal forum
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Welcome to the group
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Thanks Bearb and all, No I'm not retired - looks like I'll be working until I'm 70 or so - so that gives me 14 years of stogies while I'm still working, and another 25+ years of stogies after I retire! Already planning what cigars to take to a friends 50th bday party this saturday - going with 4 or 5 PDR torpedos for friends who will want a stick when they see me smoking one. A few yardgars for the "friends" I don't like too much, (but have to be nice to) - and for me, a Red Dot Corona for when I'm BBQing and a Padilla Black Bear for after dinner. (Birthday boy is gonna get a Rocky Patel - haven't decided which one yet)
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    me bad...sorry, I reread your post and this is what got me thinking wrongly obviously...'and early 90s retired in 1995 (kids, etc.)` ...sorry about that...assume now, retired from smoking not from the world of the insanely working...enjoy the bbq
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Welcome to the family!
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Welcome aboard, and welcome back to a great hobby. Never been a better time to come back to it with a great forum like this one to learn from.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Welcome and hope you stick around. Lots of great guys on here.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Welcome aboard, glad you're outta retirement!
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Welcome to the forum!
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Welcome. I thought this thread was going to be about another cigar blend from Gurkha.