Home General Discussion

Cigar buying "habits"

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    urbino:
    phobicsquirrel:
    But then again a box of padron '26's and VSG's aren't really that cheap.
    Ain't it a cryin' shame?
    And to further that...How does one quantify the value of an excellent cigar? Perhaps the purchase of a box of VSGs or Padron '26/'64 is not an everyday kind of purchase, but even so I would have no problem skipping out on some lesser cigars to be able to purchase those, and neither would I be upset to spend that money on a single box of cigars. When I look back on all the mediocre cigars I've purchased over the last year, the cost of a few boxes of great cigars pales in comparison.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Yeah, this is similar to something I said (somewhere around here) a while back. That is, I find myself drawn more and more to the idea of simplifying my cigar-buying habits; instead of buying variety, buy quality in quantity. I've pretty well settled on 8 or 10 cigars that are my clear favorites. Maybe I should just buy boxes of those and let everything else go by the wayside.
  • TumblerTumbler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 338
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    phobicsquirrel:
    But then again a box of padron '26's and VSG's aren't really that cheap.
    Ain't it a cryin' shame?
    And to further that...How does one quantify the value of an excellent cigar? Perhaps the purchase of a box of VSGs or Padron '26/'64 is not an everyday kind of purchase, but even so I would have no problem skipping out on some lesser cigars to be able to purchase those, and neither would I be upset to spend that money on a single box of cigars. When I look back on all the mediocre cigars I've purchased over the last year, the cost of a few boxes of great cigars pales in comparison.

When you guys are right your right. I just ordered a box of VSGs, a box of Padron 26s and 64s (natural of course), Oliva MB and since I didn't do the maduros with the Padron - I ordered the Comache triple maduros... I couldn't quantify - Thanks for freeing me up here - Anyone coming over?
    urbino:
    Yeah, this is similar to something I said (somewhere around here) a while back. That is, I find myself drawn more and more to the idea of simplifying my cigar-buying habits; instead of buying variety, buy quality in quantity. I've pretty well settled on 8 or 10 cigars that are my clear favorites. Maybe I should just buy boxes of those and let everything else go by the wayside.

I am getting there Urbi - just give me a couple more months...
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Knock Knock Knock.....i know your in there...I saw the curtain move
    It's too cold where you are, Tumbler. I'll be your mooch, though. :)
    urbino:
    I still like to try new cigars and see what is out there, but as you said, at this point I've got my regular rotation pretty much nailed down. I'll continue to sample different brands, but my quantity purchases will be much more selective from here on out. This first year of cigar smoking for me has been a good time to feel out the territory and get an idea of what is to be had, and that's fine too, but there are just too many cigars to like everything.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    j0z3r:
    urbino:
    I still like to try new cigars and see what is out there, but as you said, at this point I've got my regular rotation pretty much nailed down. I'll continue to sample different brands, but my quantity purchases will be much more selective from here on out. This first year of cigar smoking for me has been a good time to feel out the territory and get an idea of what is to be had, and that's fine too, but there are just too many cigars to like everything.
    Curious if you're interested in sharing what your regular rotation is? I haven't really tried enough yet, I don't think, to know where my tastes will settle. I do keep going back to RP, mostly Edge and 1992.
    The cigars I have grown the most fond of are Padron habano, 5 Vegas Classic, La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet...those are a few. To actually call it a regular rotation was perhaps a bit of a mis-statement on my part...What I should have said is that when I establish a regular rotation, I know pretty well what cigars will be in it. As it stands right now, my rotation is somewhat erratic due to all the cigar I bought out of sheer enthusiasm, now I'm trying to right that by slowly smoking them...I might be rid of my excesses by the time I'm 50. :)
    Heh. I'll second that and your previous post, Joe. Although there are lots of cigars I haven't tried, I feel like I've gotten a pretty good sense of the lay of the land, and developed some very clear preferences.
    I'll smoke to that.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Passing the lighter...
  • StoogeeStoogee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    I have spent about 1000 in the last 2 weeks and I just got a padilla 20 cigar sampler a 5 pack of comacho SLR toros and I have a bid in on 2 5 packs of gurkha centurians but after these I think I am done buying for a while
    gmill880:
    Passing the lighter...
    Somebody play "Stairway to Heaven."
  • dtrdwngsdtrdwngs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 74
    Sure, there are cigars that I regret spending money on but I did learn about those cigars so it was actually money well spent. I think everyone is looking for the cheap smoke that is great and I think that search will always go on. I guess the way I see it is that if I don't like the cheap sticks, I can always give them away or save it for when I just go out for a quickie smoke in the winter. People are always asking me for a stogie when I am out smoking one. I carry an extra case with me to give them a cheapy. Actually, a lot of the younger guys here in the barracks liked the cheaper ones better! I got some cheapies that are Nicaraguan with a blue and white label and gold crown and those guys loved those. They thought they were expensive ones. Now they are all buying humidors and ordering stogies. So yes, I spent a little on the cheaper ones but got people interested in cigars. By the way, I just got in my Punch Gran Puro Libertad Tubos, dry mist tubes, 5 Vegas shorty tin and some cheaper cigars that are supposed to taste like an old fashioned cubans they are called Original Cubans. I got them right before I came to work so no chance to smoke any. I am off the next 2 days so I will try a couple out and let you guys know what I think of the Original Cubans and the Shortys.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    urbino:
    I am with you on this one Urbi.. I have been smoking down my odds and ends in the effort to make final decisions on the Best of the Best. There are a lot of forgetable cigars that I would not really miss if they were not around. and then there are the must have cigars that I will always keep in my humidor. When I smoke a cigar I think to myself " would I buy a box of these ?" and most often the answer is No. One of you guys Maddy or Kuzi, said they are smoking down to only the best cigars, and that is what they will keep most often, That is where I am too.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    I am with you on this one Urbi.. I have been smoking down my odds and ends in the effort to make final decisions on the Best of the Best. There are a lot of forgetable cigars that I would not really miss if they were not around. and then there are the must have cigars that I will always keep in my humidor. When I smoke a cigar I think to myself " would I buy a box of these ?" and most often the answer is No. One of you guys Maddy or Kuzi, said they are smoking down to only the best cigars, and that is what they will keep most often, That is where I am too.
    ditto here
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    ditto here
    I really need to do this myself. I have a few faves that I don't have enough of but I have a lot that I have gotten lately in passes and trades that I have never had. I need to smoke down onesy and twosies that I have then stock up on the best.
    Let's all send each other our onesy-twosies. That way we can get rid of them. Brilliant!
    that is brilliant...that could be a new thread, i don't like them, do you want them thread
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    So everybody, what are your must haves?
    Oliva G, V
    Padrons
    Camacho 62
    RP '92
    and the ones that I will probably add to that list are the Camacho 3xmad and the 5 Vegas 'A'
    I'm sure there are a few more that are nice to have around.
    Don Carlos
    Padron 1926
    R&J Reserva Real
    AVO Domaine
    Montecristo White
    5 Vegas Classic
    Sancho Panza Dbl. Maduro
    H. Upmann
    Ashton VSG
    Perdomo ESV '91 (seconds)

There are a couple others I'd want to keep a few of around -- Hemingway Classic, Monte Media Noche -- but I think I could happily smoke nothing but the above for the rest of my life.
    urbino:
    It's too cold where you are, Tumbler. I'll be your mooch, though. :)

I have halide lights in the garage, but Brown does deliver!
    Top five...as of right now.

Padron habano, 2000 or 3000
    La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1
    5 Vegas Classic double corona, panatela or torpedo
    La Aurora 1495 corona, also 1495/1994 cameroon

...ok well that's four....I'm gonna head out with a Don Carlos #3 and see if it makes the top five...catch you all later. :)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Luko:
    So everybody, what are your must haves?

Fuentes any of them especially Cuban Coronas, Chateau and Double Chateau.
    The Hemingway Line, Bauza, and nearly any Ashton.
    Sancho Panza, 5 Vegas Classis, Avo the entire line..La Aurora 1495/1994 Cameroon,
    La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet, Gran Habano 3 Siglos, of course Opus X,
    Carlos Torano Signature, Rocky Patel 1992,
    Padron - 3000, 6000, 1926,1964
    Oliva - G,V, and MB
    5 Vegas - Miami, limitado,
    Pepin - JJ, cuban, garcial
    La flor - Coronado,L300
    Camacho - triple maduro (only camacho I tried and really really liked it)
    RP - Edge
    Sol Cubano is close
    I am feeling some pressure need just a little more time! :)
  • StoogeeStoogee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    Ashton VSG
    5 vegas A
    La Aurora 1495
    Fuente Don Carlos, Opus X
    Pretty much anything by don pepin
    most anything by oliva
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    La Flor Dominicana Ligero (got to try the cabinet)
    CAO America Landmarks (got a box finally)
    CAO Sopranos soldier (like the tony's but not paying 800 for them)
    Ashton VSG's
    GOF Don Carlos (bought a box, need another)
    Camancho triple Maduro

I have a lot more to still try that I have in the humi.. The above are ones that I am getting boxes. I do like the gurkha beauty and Beast but I need to smoke them again to see if I'm going to be getting a box or just more. Same goes with the padron 26's and 64's. need to make sure. i do like the RP 1990's 6x60's and might get a box of them. But for right now that's it. Though I am stocked to the brim with AF anejo's and opus's so no need for boxes though even if I wanted too they are spendy and harder to find than a clean prostitute.
    j0z3r:
    Top five...as of right now.

Padron habano, 2000 or 3000
    La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1
    5 Vegas Classic double corona, panatela or torpedo
    La Aurora 1495 corona, also 1495/1994 cameroon

...ok well that's four....I'm gonna head out with a Don Carlos #3 and see if it makes the top five...catch you all later. :)
    Well as far as the top five list goes, the Don Carlos didn't make the cut. The one I can think of that would fill out that fifth spot is the Perdomo ESV '91. I've only had the "seconds", and in my opinion they are not only very good but also very dependable, my personal favorite cigar sporting a connecticut wrapper. And honorable mention goes to the RP Edge corojo and maduro, VSG robusto, Torano Virtuoso, Padilla Miami and Series 68. Those are all good long term candidates, but I haven't had enough of any of them to say for sure.