Home General Discussion

maintaining humidity

NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
i currently have a 28 bottle edgestar wineador. i set it up late last summer into autumn when it held constand at 65 65 without running the thermoelectric cooling system. after plugging it in with the warmer weather in the northeast, im having problems maintaining humidity. its set at the warmest temp setting holding around 70 degrees with 2.5 lbs of heartfelt 65 beads. however the humidity is staying around 50 and wont come up. what do you guys think? how can i raise the humidity? ive charged up the beads which are releasing moisture into the air, but it just collects in condensation which is drained through a tube out of the back into a tupperware (all sealed). ive also placed a shotglass of distilled water in to try to raise up the humi, but still not enough.

Comments

• NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    i should also add the ambient temp is around 78-80.
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 648
    what kind of hygro's are you using and are they recently calibrated?
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    A Few questions:

You're positive its thermoelectric correct?
    Did you plug the drain hole? I used a cork.
    Have you calibrated your hygrometer?
    And finally a suggestion if all those are a Yes. Either get an active humidification system like a cigar oasis OR get an oust fan to circulate some air. Though the thermoelectric fan should move some air unless its a straight peltier device with no fan.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I thought anything with an active cooling device, like a wine-a-dor or a refridgerator, was basically a de-humidifier. Maybe turn it off and let the beads catch up?
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    bigharpoon:
    I thought anything with an active cooling device, like a wine-a-dor or a refridgerator, was basically a de-humidifier. Maybe turn it off and let the beads catch up?
    If it's a compressor, yes, it will de-humidify; but a thermoelectric doesn't have that problem

NightHawk:
    but it just collects in condensation which is drained through a tube out of the back into a tupperware (all sealed). ive also placed a shotglass of distilled water in to try to raise up the humi, but still not enough.
    OP - instead of having the water drain out through the back, why not arrange it so the fan condensation drains to your beads inside the wineador?
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    yes i am sure it is thermo electric, and i am using 2 digital just calibrated hygro's with the same reading, and yes i have 2 battery operated oust fans inside the unit to help circulate air. i am thinking of maybe unplugging it and letting the beads catch up? thanks for the suggestion. i wouildnt want the temp to go anywhere close to 80 though.