Home General Discussion

That cigar

madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
That cigar, you know the one everyone is searching for. The one that ends the search.
Everyone know the one I'm talking about. Its the one that you could smoke everyday for the rest of your life.

If you've found it congrats, list it here. If not tell us what you think you are looking for.

Mine:
The new profile I think I'm looking for isn't reliant on body but must be full-flavored. Hints of leather, nut, a little chocolate would be ok and a crisp clean finish. The Sol Cubana Maduro once had most of these but the last few I had weren't up to snuff. The Davidoff Maduro is close but lacks complexity IMO and is outside the price range of an everyday smoke for me.

Comments

• firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    Fuente Work Of Art Maduro. The perfect size, the perfect draw, the perfect flavor for me.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I would love to say the Centurian and the Cuesta Rey #55 Centro Fino Sungrown.
    Both those cigars have something that I love every time I smoke them.
    But IDK I shall continue the quest. I think I can narrow it down a little better.

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    DPG Blue - the rest I smoke in between just it keep it fresh, not to really continue the search.
  • AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    so far for me it's been the Casa Fuente in the corona size.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Zino Embassy Selection 2010 Belicoso or El Titian De Bronze Redemption Maduro in Robusto. I don't know. When I found both of these , I was good to go. I could grab one of these any day at any time and be happy. Yet I like the whole line of Camacho, lol. Right now I'm thinking Zino, so that would be the one. It looks beautiful and the smell makes you think you can eat it. Yea, Zino Embassy Selection 2010 Belicoso....
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    madurofan:
    The Davidoff Maduro is close but lacks complexity .
    Shenanigans!!!!

That cigar.... hmmmmmm
    i dont think i have a cigar flavor profile that im looking for but am unable to find. i just know what i tend to like. i still like other things on other days. there is just such a huge range and variety to what i like that i dont think i even want to pin it down.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Well, if it's to be the ONLY cigar, for the rest of my life, there's no such thing. It's like, when I got married, I told my wife I like rye bread, so for the last 15 years it's all I've had! No good, now it's "just bread". But, as long as I can have others as well, hmm, I'd guess the Armada for now, but on any given day I'd be likely to change my opinion, depending on my mood, the temperature, the humidity, how much time I've got, etc.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I don't know if I'll ever find "that cigar".... Don't know if I want to. I'm always looking to try something new. I thought I found it in the LFD Cabinet Oscuro L-400 or AF Sungrown Cuban Belicoso...... I could smoke one of those every day, if I could afford it. But those sticks are almost never had for a bargain. My dream would be to have a giant humidor filled with those smokes...... but I'd still always wanna try something new.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Closest thing I've found so far is the Cabaigaun Maduro 46. Perfect would be that cigar with slightly more of a nutty flavor and just a little more strength.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Just to clarify, this isn't the last cigar on earth kind of question, its just your "go to" cigar. Everyone is constantly searching for a everyday, go to cigar. This depends on a lot of things personally but it is one that you ALWAYS will enjoy no matter the time of day, mood, temp, etc. Its definetly not the only cigar you will smoke from then on but instead the cigar you will always have on hand.
    madurofan:
    Just to clarify, this isn't the last cigar on earth kind of question, its just your "go to" cigar. Everyone is constantly searching for a everyday, go to cigar. This depends on a lot of things personally but it is one that you ALWAYS will enjoy no matter the time of day, mood, temp, etc. Its definetly not the only cigar you will smoke from then on but instead the cigar you will always have on hand.
    i can rattle off a few of them. im not in the mood for them every day but in general my humidor will always have Avo Domaine, LFD Airbender, JdN Celebracion.

even then, i hesitate to call those my "go to" cigars.
    i would call them "box worthy" as in, i would gladly buy a box of any of them.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    With me, it would be anything Padilla. Probably the '32 or '68.
    kuzi16:
    LFD Airbender, JdN Celebracion
    Really? You have shot back towards Mild to Medium body cigars. I know we typically differ on taste but it is funny how similar we are getting now.

But not in this case. Both of those are the least favorite cigar in their respective lines. I enjoy the Celebracion but it doesn't feel like a JdN to me. The Airbender IMHO was complete and utter garbage and you know I love LFD. You know I'm not trashing on you kuz just wanting to know what you are getting out of the airball that I missed.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Anejo. everything about that stick is just right.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Really? You have shot back towards Mild to Medium body cigars. I know we typically differ on taste but it is funny how similar we are getting now.

But not in this case. Both of those are the least favorite cigar in their respective lines. I enjoy the Celebracion but it doesn't feel like a JdN to me. The Airbender IMHO was complete and utter garbage and you know I love LFD. You know I'm not trashing on you kuz just wanting to know what you are getting out of the airball that I missed.
    I thought I was the only one here who didn't like the Air Bender......good to have you back Maddy.
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

i have been for quite some time.
    there was s thread that was epic a while back that discussed it. CLICK
    the thread starts about the punisher but late in the first page it takes an amazing turn.

how many have you had? did you try the chisel?
    ill have to review an airbender soon. ive smoked many of them but i dont think i have reviewed one.
    ill probably smoke one today but im unsure on if i will review it.
    i think i like it because of the cedar and licorice notes in it. it has a flavor that is unlike any cigar i have had. the flavor is full and mouth coating. there is a roundness to it that makes it feel thick.

I like the celebracion BECAUSE it doesnt feel like an JdN. i do love the antano and the dark corojo but the celebracion stands out even though it is just an antano with a different wrapper. its amazing how a change in wrapper makes the cigar very different.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    What exactly is a JdN supposed to feel like?
    this may sound crazy, but after you smoke their entire line you will see the blending style. the celebracion is the farthest out of it.

i would smoke them in this order
    Antano
    Dark Corojo
    Celebracion
    Fuerte

incidentally, that is how they are listed on ccoms list page.
    its hard to notice the style unless you smoke them all within a week or so of time.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I don't think I could pick just one cigar that I would smoke no matter the time of day, or mood I was in. For me, those two things are critical, and I wouldn't want to take them out of the equation. There are several cigars though that I will always try to keep a box of around. Any of the Avo LEs, the Ashton VSG, LFD Airbender, Millennium, Oliva V, Zino Platinum, and I'm probably about to add the Domaine, and the 787 perfectos to those as well. There's still stuff out there I need to try though.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    For me I am happy with a box of any of these, Ava Marie, Aroma De Cuba, D unlimited, or Tat brown or Miami.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    There will always be cigars I want to try and cigars I'm in a particular mood for, but as for 'that cigar'...I've never met a Padilla Miami or a San Cristobal that didn't hit the bull's-eye.
  • ztanner25ztanner25 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    So far, "that cigar" for me is the CAO Brazilia. Absolutely fantastic smoke, really fits into my taste profile.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    I've had several of those cigars. Problem is... it is VERY hard to re-experience a cigar that does that for you. There are so many things that go into the enjoyment of a good cigar from your mood to what you ate that day. I love when it happens, but I always find the next time I smoke "that" cigar again, it leaves me a little disapointed because it can't recreate the experience to the same level of intensity if you know what I mean.
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    La Aroma de Cuba mi Amor------infact, Ill have one now.
    alienmisprint:
    I thought I was the only one here who didn't like the Air Bender......good to have you back Maddy.
    Hey sorry I keep pulling the dissappearing act. Other interests keep getting me off track. I rebuilt my 4-wheeler over the winter so that had me wrapped up then. And then earlier this spring I was doing a lot of research and trial and error on a new set of golf clubs.
    The 4-wheeler is running and the golf clubs are purchased, so I should be back full steam ahead talking stogies.

kuzi16:
    how many have you had? did you try the chisel? ill have to review an airbender soon. ive smoked many of them but i dont think i have reviewed one. ill probably smoke one today but im unsure on if i will review it. i think i like it because of the cedar and licorice notes in it. it has a flavor that is unlike any cigar i have had. the flavor is full and mouth coating. there is a roundness to it that makes it feel thick.
    I tried three but not a chisel. I know the chisel shape turns a good LFD better but I just don't think it can turn an airball into into a flavor bomb.

dowjr1:
    See kuzi's response, I couldn't have said that better myself. Its very distinctive and the Celebracion doesn't have it. The Antano, dark Antano, Fuerte and that new split wrapper one has it too, it just builds up to it instead of exploding out the gate with it. Personally that one is my new favorite JdN.
    laker1963:
    I've had several of those cigars. Problem is... it is VERY hard to re-experience a cigar that does that for you. There are so many things that go into the enjoyment of a good cigar from your mood to what you ate that day. I love when it happens, but I always find the next time I smoke "that" cigar again, it leaves me a little disapointed because it can't recreate the experience to the same level of intensity if you know what I mean.
    This is my problem too doogie. But so many people seem to have that cigar for them. I've had it for short times but I enevitably end up getting one that dissappoints me for one reason. The MX-2 was one I had a love affair with, then it was Sol Cubano Sumatra, then tatuaje brown, then JdN Dark Corojo. Right now its probably the MF Le Bijou but the quest continues ...
    madurofan:
    dowjr1:
    See kuzi's response, I couldn't have said that better myself. Its very distinctive and the Celebracion doesn't have it. The Antano, dark Antano, Fuerte and that new split wrapper one has it too, it just builds up to it instead of exploding out the gate with it. Personally that one is my new favorite JdN.
    are you speaking of the cabinetta? if so i agree. the cabinetta had the blending style of JdN, just in a much more mild form. the celebracion does not feel like the rest of the line. I know it IS part of the line. in paper it is exactly in line. in reality it is a very different animal.
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    dowjr1:
    are you speaking of the cabinetta? if so i agree. the cabinetta had the blending style of JdN, just in a much more mild form. the celebracion does not feel like the rest of the line. I know it IS part of the line. in paper it is exactly in line. in reality it is a very different animal.
    I am indeed sir. Did you get that build up? It starts out like a Celebracion almost and develops into a less powerful antano.
    i did get a build in flavor but not in power. much of that has to do with the darker wrapper. being so close to the nose and then on the lips the spice is in there and it "pretends" to be stronger.

that cigar is the one that actually brought JdN into my top three brands.