Home General Discussion

Tobacco and the Military News Bit

NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/06/01/pm-military-underprices-tobacco-more-than-law-allows/

NRP's Marketplace had in interesting story today. Looking to blame higher smoking averages in the military due to lower tobacco prices on bases. Take a look at the story, and lemme know what you think. I know there are many military members here, would like some perspective on this.

Comments

• DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    Where we are the prices arent cheaper (GA). I have seen it in some places. So thanks to this lady calling 'em out and making them raise the price of something they have gotten addicted to. Mabe it will help with the deficit.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Great - so instead of leaving the troops alone and letting them buy what they want at a low price, some asshat wants the price to be increased, which is another way of cutting their paychecks. Gotta love it when some PC-types piss in everyone's cornflakes

Gonzalez: In the same way that heroin alleviates stress in a heroin addict.

Gonzalez says smoking doesn't reduce stress. Instead, it causes it. He says he doesn't want to take away tobacco from anyone on the front line who needs their fix. But it would be worthwhile to keep them from picking up a can of chew or pack of cigarettes in the first place. Gonzalez says the relationship between pricing and tobacco use is well documented.
    Yeah. Tobacco = heroin. Move along, no bias or political correctness going on here.

• NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    xmacro - thats exactly one of the points I was freaked out about. "Tobacco does not decrease stress, only the stress of addiction."

.... ya.....
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    xmacro:
    Great - so instead of leaving the troops alone and letting them buy what they want at a low price, some asshat wants the price to be increased, which is another way of cutting their paychecks. Gotta love it when some PC-types piss in everyone's cornflakes

Gonzalez: In the same way that heroin alleviates stress in a heroin addict.

Gonzalez says smoking doesn't reduce stress. Instead, it causes it. He says he doesn't want to take away tobacco from anyone on the front line who needs their fix. But it would be worthwhile to keep them from picking up a can of chew or pack of cigarettes in the first place. Gonzalez says the relationship between pricing and tobacco use is well documented.
    Yeah. Tobacco = heroin. Move along, no bias or political correctness going on here.

See, I knew there were areas where we agreed completly! :)
    Risk taking is an individual thing, people have different levels of risk taking that are satisfactory to them. Anyone think it might be to our advantage to have soldiers who have, at least a little 'higher than usual' risk taking traits. Or maybe, risk takers are more likely to volunteer for and succeed in the military? I think so.
    Similarly, when I was in the Army, I had to take "driving school" 3 different times just to be allowed to ride my motorcycle. Once in German! As usual, the bureaucrats don't get it.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    I have no idea what tobacco cost nowadays. The last time I walked into a commissary and bought cigarettes I think a carton ran me like $19.00 or so, that was back in 2004. Of course it will never be like my first purchase on base back in 1975. That carton of Camel's ran me $1.90.