Home General Discussion

Tornado's

laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
Wow, watching the destruction on the news this morning was more then usually depressing.
Those poor souls in Joplin... all that destruction and death. My heart goes out to the good folks of that whole area today. I hope this new batch of bad weather they are talking about does NOT develop.

Comments

• tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    real sad.....just can't believe all of the destruction the past 2 months.......prayers to everyone out there.....really puts everything else in perspective
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Heart goes out to them as well...we had a run of tornadoes last month come through where I live. Tornado hit about a mile away from my house, we were extremely lucky.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I almost know what they are going through. Send donations to the American Red Cross. They will be the first to show up!
  • MESKCMESKC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    beatnic:
    I almost know what they are going through. Send donations to the American Red Cross. They will be the first to show up!
    +1 the best thing we can do right now is give to the Red Cross. I have already donated my cigar allowance. I have enough and can do without.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    There's been a lot of disasters lately. I feel for the victims.

Seems as though the congress is trying to get some more money to FEMA though:

In the aftermath of Sunday's devastating tornado in Joplin, Mo., Republicans controlling the House are preparing a $1 billion aid package to make sure federal disaster relief accounts don't run out before the end of the budget year in September.
    Rep. Robert Aderholt, R-Ala., said the move would ensure that there's enough money for victims of the Joplin tornado, as well as those suffering from flooding in the Mississippi Basin and from tornadoes that swept across Alabama last month.
    The additional money would make sure that ongoing relief efforts aren't interrupted as new disaster relief efforts get under way across the South and Midwest.
    On Monday, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said that Congress would not approve funds for disaster relief without budget cuts elsewhere. "If there is support for a supplemental, it would be accompanied by support for having pay-fors to that supplemental," he said.

Funny though how Cantor needs to add a stipulation to the extra funding. Though he has no problem passing tax cuts without paying for them, even giving money for subsidies for Big Oil? Interesting...
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    ive got 3 friends in Joplin and several others in that vicinity....... Knowone has heard from any of them........ I am praying. From the air it looks like a Big Lawnmower drover over that place Amazing...... Mother Nature is Pissed for sure.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I have friends there and know of 1 BOTL who's house was hammered. Was thinking of doing a collection for him but I am unsure. I am sure he has much more on his mind other then cigars. I have law enforcement friends who work there and who went to help. A Riverside Police Officer was struck by lightning yesterday while helping. He is in the hospital and stable. Very sad.
  • MikeMosleyMikeMosley Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 23
    There was a large tornado, about a quarter mile wide, touched down about 10 miles from my house just 15 minutes ago but it looks like the worst part is passing my area. You get used to it living in OK. The loss of life in Joplin MO is definitely tragic, and is making me take the current storms in OK a lot more seriously.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I have heard from a good source that there are 1500 people missing and over 300 bodies at the morgue that have not been identified.