Home Ratings & Reviews

La Gloria Cubana Rabito de Cochino

beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
Anyone know anything about this cigar? I was told it was new. Going to a La Gloria event Friday. Mike Giannini is supposed to be there.

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Good event. Mike Giannini gave a nice talk. He's got ideas flying around his head. Odd cigar shapes, boxes, etc. Here's his latest. He said a full release will be in the Fall.
    The name is a Spanish term used inside some factories to refer to a pigtail cap. This new cigar has a pigtail cap and an uncut tuck - which allows you to taste the wrapper when lighting. It is also shorter and thicker than the typical lancero measuring 6 1/2 x 42. Cute little plexiglass covered box. Have't tried one yet. I'll let them rest a bit.
    Anyone who would like to do a professional review, pm me. I might be able to part with one.

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Looks good/interesting. 6 1/2x42 is a lonsdale though. Much too thick to be called any kind of Panetela.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Damn another one to add to the list.

docbp87:
    Looks good/interesting. 6 1/2x42 is a lonsdale though. Much too thick to be called any kind of Panetela.
    That was how it was discrbed in the handout.
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    Oh I know. Just another example of brands ignoring traditional vitola measurements. Like calling something with a 56 ring gauge a corona gorda, or whatever the Padron 46 is.
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    Oh I know. Just another example of brands ignoring traditional vitola measurements. Like calling something with a 56 ring gauge a corona gorda, or whatever the Padron 46 is.
    Does it really matter?
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Got a threefer of these too, I have smoked two to test them out and I must say they are good not great. I was not impress with them just thought a good yardgar and thats about it. It's interesting none the less but I wouldn't go out of the way for these. I was glad to pick them up free from an event.
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    Does it really matter?
    Kind of. That's like saying do the meanings of any words matter... The language of cigars exists so that you and I can talk about them and know what each is saying. If I say robusto and mean 4 7/8x50 (a traditional Cuban robusto), and you think 7.5x38 (correct measurements for a lancero), then we have no idea what the other is talking about. It is a means of facilitating communication... Could very very broad and nebulous with this, but I think you know what I mean.
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    Does it really matter?
    Kind of. That's like saying do the meanings of any words matter... The language of cigars exists so that you and I can talk about them and know what each is saying. If I say robusto and mean 4 7/8x50 (a traditional Cuban robusto), and you think 7.5x38 (correct measurements for a lancero), then we have no idea what the other is talking about. It is a means of facilitating communication... Could very very broad and nebulous with this, but I think you know what I mean.
    I understand that these terms and traditions go way back. And I'll be broad and nebulous here. I know you are much more knowledgable than I on the subject. But from my perspective (fairly recent smoker), I see as many exceptions to the rules as rules themselves. It seems many companies regularly create there own sizes. I suspect you weren't too happy to see the introduction of the Nub. It breaks lots of rules. So for me, I look at the ring gauge and length. Its kind of like me talking to teenagers about computers. When I tell them I learned Fortran and card punching, they'll say "You call that a computer?". They now call a computer a cell phone.
    I'm sure some of the older, descriptive Spanish terms are useful in conversation, but terms change with time. In fact, the word tobacco comes from the Mayan language and it refers to the pipe that the indians would stick up their noses when they smoked the plant. And as to your original comment, I merely cut and pasted from the companies email. Here, you have a major cigar manufacturer breaking all of your rules.
    Finally, I hate talking with a Spanish accent. LOL
    I'm not here to argue with you Doc. I just saying that from my paradigm, the entire business is moving away from traditional Cuban practices. Now, I'm going to the mancave and smoke me a nice sun-grown, Cameroon wrapped, Nicaraguan leaf filled 5"X50. Descriptive enough?
    I understand what you mean, and to some degree agree with you. "The times, they are a-changing" Sure. But at the same time, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the specific "change" I am referring to. The MOW Ruination is a great example. Why not call the two "Robusto" sizes it is offered in something other than a robusto, since neither is anything close to being a robusto size? Actually, you know what... Brooks wrote a great article on this... let me find it. To each there own, but I tend to agree with him on this issue: Link to the article.

Also, I hope my argumentative, and generally snotty demeanor online has come across as anything less than that. I have no beef, nor do I want beef. Just discussion! Nothing personal, etc. I know my preferences and opinions are often at odds with, well, even the majority on this forum at times. Just my opinions, and you are entitled to yours as well, and frankly, the fact that we have differing opinions is a good thing and makes things interesting. If everyone felt the same way about everything, this place would be boring as hell.
    Good link. I realized very early in my smoking this was an issue. So i just look at the sizes and never really put the vitola sizes to memory. I do know the catergory of the sizes, but exact measurements are not in my mindset.and yes, since you brought it up, yes, "your generally s..........."lol
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    docbp87:
    I understand what you mean, and to some degree agree with you. "The times, they are a-changing" Sure. But at the same time, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the specific "change" I am referring to. The MOW Ruination is a great example. Why not call the two "Robusto" sizes it is offered in something other than a robusto, since neither is anything close to being a robusto size? Actually, you know what... Brooks wrote a great article on this... let me find it. To each there own, but I tend to agree with him on this issue: Link to the article.

Also, I hope my argumentative, and generally snotty demeanor online has come across as anything less than that. I have no beef, nor do I want beef. Just discussion! Nothing personal, etc. I know my preferences and opinions are often at odds with, well, even the majority on this forum at times. Just my opinions, and you are entitled to yours as well, and frankly, the fact that we have differing opinions is a good thing and makes things interesting. If everyone felt the same way about everything, this place would be boring as hell.
    That was a good article, Doc, thanks for posting that. I actually do get a little annoyed at the intentional mislabels. I don't lose any sleep over it, but to me, I don't see any reason not to call cigars made in traditional sizes (or close to) by the traditional name. It is easier for the consumer, and I agree that its easier to discuss favorite sizes and such.

And don't get me wrong, I do think that new trends and sizes should be embraced because they attract new consumers and excite the older ones, but my thing is that if they deviate from a traditional size (by more than a little bit), just make up a new name for that new size like Nub has done, or like my favorite LGC size, the Glorias Extra.

Anyway, like I said, that was a cool article and Good to know what the traditional measurements are for traditional sizes. I didn't know alot of that. Thanks Doc.
    boydmcgowan:
    docbp87:

That was a good article, Doc, thanks for posting that. I actually do get a little annoyed at the intentional mislabels. I don't lose any sleep over it, but to me, I don't see any reason not to call cigars made in traditional sizes (or close to) by the traditional name. It is easier for the consumer, and I agree that its easier to discuss favorite sizes and such.

And don't get me wrong, I do think that new trends and sizes should be embraced because they attract new consumers and excite the older ones, but my thing is that if they deviate from a traditional size (by more than a little bit), just make up a new name for that new size like Nub has done, or like my favorite LGC size, the Glorias Extra.

Anyway, like I said, that was a cool article and Good to know what the traditional measurements are for traditional sizes. I didn't know alot of that. Thanks Doc.
    What's crazy is that the list posted in that article is just a chart of a few popular sizes... The complete list is closer to this:
    List of factory names and common names for vitolas