Home General Discussion

Help me pick one for a special occasion...

alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
Today is my wife and my sixth anniversary, but it is also significant because it is our first "real" anniversary. By that, I mean we were married on a Friday the 13th, and today is the first time it has fallen on a Friday since we have been married. If Pete Johnson ever releases a Voorhes (or somethine along those lines) in his Halloween series, I'll have to buy a couple of boxes and keep them just for anniversaries. But since those cigars don't exist yet, here's what I'm looking at:

Ashton ESG (in humi since Aug 09) - never tried one, when I was gifted this by Tumbler he gave me the advice that I should let it sit as long as possible and I have beeb

Vigilante Maduro (in humi for about a year and a half) - these are no longer in production, and I only have a few left, but the robusto is one of my all time favorite cigars

Xikar Defiance (in humi since July 09) - another cigar that is no longer in production, another one of my all-time favorites that I can no longer get - although the HC Criollo is the same blend

Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario 2006 (in humi for a little over a year) - not much to say about this one, great super-premium

Alec Bradley Pryme (in humi since June 09) - yet another one of my all-time favorites that no longer exists, I am very stingy with these as I am sure I'll never be able to get any more

Thoughts?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Congrats, Tony. I vote for the AB Pryme.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    If it's me I'd go Vigilante Maduro. You know you are going to enjoy it. And what better occasion are u gunna have? My worst fear is trying a stick for the first time when I'm supposed to be celebrating and getting let down.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Well, since the obvious choice is saving the out-of-production ones for the apocalypse, I would go with the ESG.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    t_evan50:
    If it's me I'd go Vigilante Maduro. You know you are going to enjoy it. And what better occasion are u gunna have? My worst fear is trying a stick for the first time when I'm supposed to be celebrating and getting let down.
    +1 and look into the skull and bones for next year.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Damn, they all sound good! Congrats on the anniversary.

Bottom line is, pick one you like, limited or not, and enjoy the hell out of it!! I buy them to smoke them, and it always hurts a little when you smoke your last one ever, but others will come along that are as good, so go for it! That is all part of the fun, right?

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Unless you have something even more important that your anni, my vote is the Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario 2006. Did you get that from me? I can't remember.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    camgfs:
    Damn, they all sound good! Congrats on the anniversary.

Bottom line is, pick one you like, limited or not, and enjoy the hell out of it!! I buy them to smoke them, and it always hurts a little when you smoke your last one ever, but others will come along that are as good, so go for it! That is all part of the fun, right?

Don Carlos 2006 awesome smoke right there.....oh and what he said
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    sightunseen:
    Congrats, Tony. I vote for the AB Pryme.
    +1. What better occassion would you be saving these for? Plus you know its a favorite . . . .

and congrats brother.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    Congrats Tony! Im not going to vote because its obvious with me.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Let her pick..... She picked you, after all. (this post came with extra cheese ;-)
    lilwing88:
    Let her pick..... She picked you, after all. (this post came with extra cheese ;-)
    Which means she has no taste! Maybe in art, but definitely not in people. j/k I hope you thoroughly enjoy it (the anni, the time with your wife, and whatever cigar you smoke)!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Don Carlos Anniversario. awesome stick. congrats
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    My vote would be either the Don Carlos or the Pryme. Both fantastic smokes!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I would smoke the one you haven't tried the ESG, great smoke...
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    The Vigilante. Man we have burned threw a few of these eh Tony? If you still have some of the Robusto's with some age on them, go for that, you KNOW you will enjoy it, and they are pretty consistant so you know it will preform well too. BTW, CONGRATULATIONS to you and your wife.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    t_evan50:
    I always am afraid of that too, but I don't think that will be the case with the ESG. I hear ya though, and I am leaning more towards a tried-and-true stick for tonight.

rwheelwright:
    Unless you have something even more important that your anni, my vote is the Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario 2006. Did you get that from me? I can't remember.
    Not sure Rich. I've burned two of these and have two on hand. I know you and Vinnie both sent me one, I purchased one from a B&M, and I'm pretty sure I got bombed with the other one from some other BoTL here. They are fantastic sticks, without doubt my favorite offering from AF, by a longshot.

laker1963:
    The Vigilante. Man we have burned threw a few of these eh Tony? If you still have some of the Robusto's with some age on them, go for that, you KNOW you will enjoy it, and they are pretty consistant so you know it will preform well too. BTW, CONGRATULATIONS to you and your wife.

You can say that again Doug. I do still have a few of the robo's left, not many though. They are so much better than the toro's too, lol. Weren't you the one who turned me on to these?
    DSWarmack:
    t_evan50:
    +1 and look into the skull and bones for next year.
    Skull & Bones? Is that one of the Viaje sticks or another new limited release from Tat? Gotta be one of those two, with a name like that.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Congrats man! I say go with something you have not smoked yet.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    phobicsquirrel:
    don carlos!

Don Carlos I've only had one and it was very good. But I think you should go with either the Xikar Defiance or Alec Bradley Pryme. Why, these are no longer produced and are your favorites. So, you smoke them for moments like these. I think...
    Viaje, got one while I was in Germany because Rick has a serious case of Kantceepcigarstoself. Hopefully one day he'll be cured.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    The Ashton ESG jumped off the page at me.. That is a nice cigar. Tough decision, I'm sure any choice you make will be a good one. Oh yeah, Happy Anniversary (by the way )
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,808
    phobicsquirrel:
    don carlos!

+1 and congrats!
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    DSWarmack:
    Viaje, got one while I was in Germany because Rick has a serious case of Kantceepcigarstoself. Hopefully one day he'll be cured.
    LOL, at first I thought it was some german word, then I looked closer . . . .hahaha
    boydmcgowan:
    DSWarmack:
    LOL, at first I thought it was some german word, then I looked closer . . . .hahaha
    Lol, nice.

I ended up going with the Pryme. To be honest, it really wasn't fair to the other cigars. Any time I allow myself to seriously consider smoking a Pryme, a Pryme gets set on fire. That's why I don't let myself seriously consider it very often, lol. I'm not going to exagerate and say I cried when I pulled this one out of the box, but I did get a little twinge in the gut when I realized I was pulling it from the bottom row....meaning there are only 9 left now. Thanks for the congratulations and input everyone, it was a great day today, and that cigar was the perfect way to cap it off.