Home General Discussion

Greetings from the People's Republic of Maryland

bluedogbluedog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
Let me first say I'm a newbie to this; I mean really new...I've never posted to the threadanything before. So please forgive me when I say, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" with a nod to, I believe, poor dead Peter Finch's character in the movie Network. AHH, I'm beginning to feel better already...on to business.

What happened to the thread Goodbye CCOM? I couldn't find it today. It regarded Maryland's ban on Internet tobacco sales. Being the paranoid seer that I am and having waded my way through the legislative BS in the link sent to me by CCOM, I believe this is not about taxes so much as eventually banning tobacco here in the gulag. This legislation, if it stands, affects all of us, in every state. Some states have already restricted or banned smoking in public places and I believe I read that a local jurisdiction in California has banned smoking within it's borders, even in your home. I'm ashamed to report that Maryland tried that in Friendship, MD (it was eventually overturned). What all the states are looking for is a way to ban a legal product that will withstand judicial review. But someone has to bring suit. Individuals like myself cannot possibly afford this. Even banding together and bringing a class action is remote.

Might I suggest that CCOM and the other internet purveyors get together and bring suit for restraint of trade? What do you all think?

Comments

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    bluedog:
    Let me first say I'm a newbie to this; I mean really new...I've never posted to the threadanything before. So please forgive me when I say, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" with a nod to, I believe, poor dead Peter Finch's character in the movie Network. AHH, I'm beginning to feel better already...on to business.

What happened to the thread Goodbye CCOM? I couldn't find it today. It regarded Maryland's ban on Internet tobacco sales. Being the paranoid seer that I am and having waded my way through the legislative BS in the link sent to me by CCOM, I believe this is not about taxes so much as eventually banning tobacco here in the gulag. This legislation, if it stands, affects all of us, in every state. Some states have already restricted or banned smoking in public places and I believe I read that a local jurisdiction in California has banned smoking within it's borders, even in your home. I'm ashamed to report that Maryland tried that in Friendship, MD (it was eventually overturned). What all the states are looking for is a way to ban a legal product that will withstand judicial review. But someone has to bring suit. Individuals like myself cannot possibly afford this. Even banding together and bringing a class action is remote.

Might I suggest that CCOM and the other internet purveyors get together and bring suit for restraint of trade? What do you all think?
    Good question 'dog, I just figured it was pushed to the next page, but I can't find it either. First amendment question? anyone?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    this is not a first amendment issue. this is a privately owned forum that is open to the public. the owners have a right to censor the content however they see fit. the first amendment is about the government censoring the public not people editing their own property.
    as to why ccom took the thread down... i dont know. but if there was something in there that was "too far" cigar.com would take it down because they have a business to protect.
    kuzi16:
    this is not a first amendment issue. this is a privately owned forum that is open to the public. the owners have a right to censor the content however they see fit. the first amendment is about the government censoring the public not people editing their own property.
    as to why ccom took the thread down... i dont know. but if there was something in there that was "too far" cigar.com would take it down because they have a business to protect.
    Whoa, just a joke, didn't seriously consider First amendment, no real problems, just curious.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Who knows? Maybe Ccom is involved in litigation as we speak and their lawyer suggested removing the thread??? Wishful thinking......
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I hope there is a lot of backlash on this new law. I do agree that local shops have steep competition to online vendors however people should have the right to choose. I also believe that states should really look for other places to get money instead of pushing massive taxes on one form of legal product. I mean I'm all for revenue for the state but please. I mean I was just talking about this crap with a friend of mine. I pay state taxes and I see all sorts of crap being done. I have seen the same road every two years being re-paved.

I've seen the city of portland rename a major street that runs a great distance that pretty much is the main leg in lower portland when it really didn't need to be. In fact many shops on that road protested the renaming because it would cost them money, and a lot of money. And what happened, they changed it. And not only that it cost around the 30 mil or something like that, and it changed to a named street instead of a numbered street, which doesn't sound like a lot but here in portland we have numbers that run n-s, and named that run e-w. So it really screws up things.

I am a firm component of maybe a small tax on fast food, or even soda. However putting such an effort on any one form of product is just wrong.
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Hi guys, hope everyone is having a good friday evening. I am also new to the forums but have been a Ccom customer since I started the hobby about 3 years ago. Started out with a 150 count humidor and filled it up within 6 months. Now I'm already up to roughly 500 - 600 sticks in my 3000 count cabinet humi. My wife and the guys at work say I've got a cigar spending problem all the time. I smoke about 3 cigars a week and my 5 favs so far are CAO La Traviata, 601 Blue, MOW Ruination, CAO Brazilia, LHC Oscuro Fuerte. I unfortunatley also live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland where we give illegal immigrants the right to pay in state tuition rates but ban the right of legal citizens to purchase a 100% legal product. I wrote emails to Franchot, O'Malley, The Baltimore Sun, and WBAL TV about this B.S. Franchots' field enforcement director sent me a response document from the Comptroller, which they probably sent everyone since they said they've been inundated with phone calls and e-mails on this issue. It read like they want to work this out so long as they get their money. Then today in Jay Hancocks blog in the Baltimore Sun Joe Shapiro who is Franchots' spokesperson wrote, " Just wanted to make it clear that the premium cigar market was not the focus of this legislation. Unlike most states, Maryland had no licensing framework for "Other Tobacco Prodcuts" (OTP), and the Comptroller's Office needed that framework to help ensure tax compliance and to battle smuggling. This framework ensures tax fairness and responsible trade practices. An unintended outcome of the legislation was the effect on premium cigar consumers and our office is already working with legislators to fix this through legislation that will ensure proper tax compliance and also lift any restrictions on consumer choice." Guess we'll have to wait and see how this turns out. I know one thing though they wont see one tax cent from me on an instate cigar purchase till they get this fixed. Look forward to talking to you guys more.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Welcome amz1301.. I feel you will be a strong contributor to the forums. And, I see one of your favorites is the CAO La Traviata, just found these today..It won't be my last.
  • bluedogbluedog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    There's some smoke and mirrors going on here, I think. If I read the fiscal analysis part of the legislation correctly, it required $72,000 to upgrade licensing software with a projected revenue of $17,000 the first year; so it will take four years plus just to break even! So, if they're looking for tax revenues and not focusing on premium cigars? Hell, they could probably get close to that just on my purchases alone. Hi, my name is bluedog and I have a premium cigar predilection...addiction is such an ugly word for this love affair, don't you think?
    kaspera79:
    Welcome amz1301.. I feel you will be a strong contributor to the forums. And, I see one of your favorites is the CAO La Traviata, just found these today..It won't be my last.

Thanks for the welcome kaspera

Maybe Ccom could come up with some special pricing structure for Maryland residents. Lets say I want to buy that $4.95 cigar cutter but since I live in Maryland it would cost me $64.90. It just so happens that along with it comes a free box of Man O' War Puro Authentico that I've been wanting to acquire.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Gents, I am happy to report that we have made some headway. While the bill may not officially come off the books until the legislature reconvenes we are working on going through the proper channels before we resume shipments which will hopefully be very soon. The outcry from our customers in response to our email as well as emails sent by other mail order houses was huge. I dont want to spike the ball on the one yard line so please keep up the pressure. The reason I took down the old thread was simply because the state of MD made some very positive advances. My hope was to replace that thread with some news and updates but I had to leave the country suddenly so I apologize that I was not able to fill you guys in faster. For the MD guys out there, hang in there, we are very close to resuming shipments we hope but we want to make sure we go through the proper channels. Like I said, keep up the great work, dont let your foot of the gas, the good news is your efforts thus far have been heard far and wide in the state of MD.
    Sounds good, keep up the good fight! Let freedom ring! (or as close as we can get, these days)
  • Tina ETina E BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 19
    Your phone calls, emails, and letters have definitely made a huge impact! Go BOTLs and SOTLs! Check out this article: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-05-13/business/bs-bz-hancock-cigar-ban-20110513_1_cigar-enthusiasts-cigars-and-pipe-cigar-com
  • Fatty01Fatty01 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    I just found this site today. I am a resident of the awful state of Maryland. Have you heard any moes about whats going on with the unfair cigar tax bill. I have not heard any more mysel and am just trying to find out who (outside of Md) is still making deliveries (I still have a few). Any input will help. Thanks
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    Any luck with making head way on this? There are blends that are only available here that I cannot find (and most B&Ms won't order) in MD and I am really jonsing for a MOW Virtue! Also does anyone know if this effects bombs? I would imagine so just curious is all. While we're on the topic of ridiculous MD taxes, I for one, am glad that MD raised the alcohol tax to make our amazing schools even better, our roads straighter and bonuses for all of our state employees...
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    They announced that they can ship to Maryland a while back. I'd list the link but im on my mobile. Happy shopping! Lol.
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    t_evan50:
    They announced that they can ship to Maryland a while back. I'd list the link but im on my mobile. Happy shopping! Lol.
    Jeez am I ever late!! Thanks for the head's up.
    Some of you guys probably got this message but in case you didn't. I just finished sending out my e-mails.

Dear Valued Customers of Maryland,

Maryland: the Free State, or not?

As the next week unfolds, the future of mail order and internet cigar sales to Maryland residents hangs in the balance. But if we act quickly, if we ACT NOW, we stand a great chance of protecting our freedoms and repealing this unconstitutional bill.

If you call Maryland home, you're likely aware of their enacted 2011 legislation which made it a felony to sell cigars over the internet, by mail order or telephone to a Maryland resident. But we fought back....hard. We fought for our rights, to live as the Constitution intended, and we made exceptional progress. Thanks to the overwhelming response against this un-American bill, Maryland State Comptroller, Peter Franchot, elected NOT to enforce the ban and recommended that the Maryland General Assembly revisit the law at the earliest possible juncture. That's good news, right? Well, only partially. Because as I write this, your State Legislators are debating on whether or not to repeal the ban on mail-order cigars.

There are two proposed bills (House Bill 570 and Senate Bill 452) which seek to repeal the ban. Both bills will be heard in Annapolis next week. So in short, this ugly problem has reared its head for another round. And I'm confident we'll squash it once again.

In order to do that, we need you to take action NOW in support of these bills!

Here is what we are asking you to do:

Contact your local Senator and House Delegate by accessing the following link: http://mdelect.net/ Contact Mr. Franchot, Comptroller, by calling him at 1-800-552-3941 or emailing him at pfranchot@comp.state.md.us</B
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    I send 15 letters to my President every day.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    scarlin:
    I send 15 letters to my President every day.

Uttt ooo !!! Your on the list ... Is there a black Chevy Suburban parked on your street ???