Home General Discussion

Sending sticks

jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
I'll be sending some sticks to some BOTLs and what's the best way to send them, as in packing to protect them and such? Cheapest way?

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I personally put them in a ccom bag, then put a water pillow in a ziplock bag inside the ccom bag (seal ziplock half way) then seal the ccom bag, I usually take bubble wrap and wrap the ccom bag with it, put it in a box and fill with paper to keep the bag from sliding around...
  • jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    Thanks. That's along the lines I was gonna go. Use the bags and pillows I got from this site and just pack it bigtime with wrap and paper.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    jfaciane:
    Thanks. That's along the lines I was gonna go. Use the bags and pillows I got from this site and just pack it bigtime with wrap and paper.
    Best way to go IMO...
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Yup, just make sure they can't bounce aroudn too much inside the box. Paper, like you said, works great.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    The post office's small flat rate box is free, costs just under $6 (including delivery confirmation) to ship, and fits a 5 to 6 pack nicely. Sounds like you already have a good plan for humidification.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    5 finger bag, a few sheets of bubble wrap, and a boveda pack, in USPS flat rate box... That's the top of the line way to ship at least lol.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I save all my Ccom boxes and protective wrap and humi pillows. When I send a package out it goes out just like a Ccom package, literally. I can fill the whole box with protection so I don't have to add any paper and I throw a humi pillow in the bag as well. I also keep old cellos around in case I send a cigar that I have in my humi that has been sitting bare. I find an old cello that fits and wrap it before it gets sent out.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Diamondog:
    I personally put them in a ccom bag, then put a water pillow in a ziplock bag inside the ccom bag (seal ziplock half way) then seal the ccom bag, I usually take bubble wrap and wrap the ccom bag with it, put it in a box and fill with paper to keep the bag from sliding around...

Should the water pillow not be touching the cigars?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    y2pascoe:
    Diamondog:

There is sometimes an issue with the interior of the pillow bursting, which results in a sticky goo leaking all over your sticks. I've had it happen a couple of times.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    alienmisprint:
    y2pascoe:
    Diamondog:

There is sometimes an issue with the interior of the pillow bursting, which results in a sticky goo leaking all over your sticks. I've had it happen a couple of times.
    Would that happen due to using something other then distilled water to hydrate the pillows?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    MTuccelli:
    alienmisprint:
    y2pascoe:
    Diamondog:

Would that happen due to using something other then distilled water to hydrate the pillows?
    I think they burst either from air pressure when in flight or just rough handling between points. Better to have them in a bag of their own though as DD says. It saves a lot of mess.
    laker1963:
    MTuccelli:
    alienmisprint:
    y2pascoe:
    Diamondog:

I think they burst either from air pressure when in flight or just rough handling between points. Better to have them in a bag of their own though as DD says. It saves a lot of mess.
    I never thought of using a ziploc baggie for the humi pack. I sure hope the packages I sent out today don't explode and screw up the sticks
    They don't usually screw up the sticks. Just makes a sticky mess over everything. The cello will protect the sticks most times.
    laker1963:
    They don't usually screw up the sticks. Just makes a sticky mess over everything. The cello will protect the sticks most times.
    That is good to know but some of the sticks I send are nekkid
    MTuccelli:
    laker1963:
    Well then... the pucker factor just went up by at least 10. Sorry bro'. Good luck, it doesn't always happen.
    laker1963:
    MTuccelli:
    laker1963:
    Well then... the pucker factor just went up by at least 10. Sorry bro'. Good luck, it doesn't always happen.
    ROFLMAO....yep it sure did!!
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Honestly, I've had too many bad experiences with humi pillows to use them anymore. Frankly, if you're using USPS priority, they won't be in transit for more then 2 or 3 days anyway, so there is no reason to risk over humidifying the sticks (or worse, having the pillow burst on them)... Boveda packs on the other hand are fine.
    docbp87:
    Honestly, I've had too many bad experiences with humi pillows to use them anymore. Frankly, if you're using USPS priority, they won't be in transit for more then 2 or 3 days anyway, so there is no reason to risk over humidifying the sticks (or worse, having the pillow burst on them)... Boveda packs on the other hand are fine.
    My RH bounces between 65 and 68, would this still be ok to ship without a humi pack?
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    i sent a box last summer and a humi pak inside a bag, it arrived and had popped inside the bag but sticks were ok as wrapped in cello or he said they woulda been ruined, so now ill put in bag and leave a lil opening and add the pak in the box and tape up box good since its starting to warm up i dont want that to happen again. i can imagine how hot it can get sitting in a truck etc, too long
    I have noticed when I get my Ccom orders the humi packs aren't filled to the brim. They suggest soaking the humi packs for 20 seconds but the ones Ccom sends out with the orders seem to be partially filled. I wonder if they do that to allow for heat expansion
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    MTuccelli:
    I have noticed when I get my Ccom orders the humi packs aren't filled to the brim. They suggest soaking the humi packs for 20 seconds but the ones Ccom sends out with the orders seem to be partially filled. I wonder if they do that to allow for heat expansion
    kinda the way im thinking
    jj20030:
    MTuccelli:
    kinda the way im thinking
    To bad I didn't think about this before i shipped today....so I guess I won't unpucker till I hear whether or not the sticks i sent are nice and dry or swimming the back stroke