Home General Discussion

B&M Ageing

BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
An idea I have floated in my head from time to time. I dont have the room to age and cigars sitting on the shelf make no revenue. What if your B&M aged it's stock for you? I have my local B&M that has several high end boxes(Anejos and My Father #1) that have been in his humidor stock for anywhere from 6 months to a year. I keep my eye on them and am afraid that someone may buy them out from under me. I would like it if i could reserve these sticks without paying the full price upfront. My thought is this: Place an order with my B&M and place a reserve with at 10% hold/age fee upfront to hold the cigars for you. The Balance is based on the time factor, cigar layaway. 6 months 25%, one year 50%, and two years Paid in full or anytime before that, based on the time you want to age the cigars. You can stop at anytime and collect the cigars from the box you paid for and the remainder returned to regular stock. It can be part of a membership call it the Aged Club. Just thinking outloud, What do you think?

Comments

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I think you should pitch that idea to your B&M.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    A lot of B&Ms offer lockers (humidified, cigar lockers lol) for just this purpose. I know quite a few guys who leave special boxes in their lockers at their local lounges to force them to keep their hands off them. Just find a B&M that offers a locker service. There is also one CC vendor that offers what they call an Online Locker/Humidor where you can buy boxes and they store them for you until you want them. Kind of high end though as I think they require a minimum of like 500$ worth of sticks before they offer this service though. Most big cities have a lounge though that offers lockers or whatever. I think all of the fancy members only places (like Club Mac, or the Grand Havana Room in NYC offer this)
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    docbp87:
    A lot of B&Ms offer lockers (humidified, cigar lockers lol) for just this purpose. I know quite a few guys who leave special boxes in their lockers at their local lounges to force them to keep their hands off them. Just find a B&M that offers a locker service. There is also one CC vendor that offers what they call an Online Locker/Humidor where you can buy boxes and they store them for you until you want them. Kind of high end though as I think they require a minimum of like 500$ worth of sticks before they offer this service though. Most big cities have a lounge though that offers lockers or whatever. I think all of the fancy members only places (like Club Mac, or the Grand Havana Room in NYC offer this)

My B&M does have lockers you can rent at $500 a year. I can buy a new 3000 count for about twice that. Most places require you rent the locker and buy the box. My B&M will allow me to reserve a box for a few days but I would prefer a few months. I find now I ask how long they have held the stock and purchase accordingly. For instance on a recent purchase my B&M had Cain F cigars that were from an event last year. I remember he had about 10 boxes or so and I believe that event was in October so they had 7 or so months on them. He had about 4 boxes left so I purchased a box and was pleasantly surprised how 7 months made a difference. I asked him about cigar layaway and he laughed but I explained my delima with ageing at home. I pitched my idea to him and he was interested. I explained that that same Cain F could have been sold 7 months ago. Even if only 10 to 20% but it was better than no retail income and the cigars taking up space. If he offered this to customers then it would benefit him in future sales and immediate income from the same product that sat there unsold. Space would be a non issue as it still was an unsold box from last year sitting on the shelf. If after a time the sale did not occur he could charge a restocking fee and give what cigars to the customer that was already paid for out of the box. We shall see if this becomes reality after while.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    From a business perspective that would be tieing up cash flow and IMO not practical for a business owner...especially with good selling stuff...A B&M should really at the end of the day have very little that sits on the shelf for extended periods of time, yes there will be boxes that do but compared to the amount of overall product it should be minimal....if it's not then the B&M IMO has operational issues and should look at its procedures for ordering stock...it must be tough for B&M's that don't have and market an online store to compete in the market and those that don't would probably need this money more than ever rather than tieing up stock with no real money produced from it...Maybe a guy to ask about this around here would be Vince...
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    docbp87:
    i rent a locker at my local b&m. it keeps me from smoking my really nice stuff when im drunk.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I could see a B&M doing something along these lines, storing cigars for you and others but not in separate lockers. If they had the space they could keep everybody's on shelves sort of like a communal locker. The only way this would appeal to the store, though, is if you end up paying more for the box in the end than you would pay on day one. They need to be compensated for their storage space.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    I think DD hit the nail on the head with this one: while it is attractive to the consumer, it doesn't make much business sense. Yes, it would be great to sell a piece of the product immediately, but there's a reason that the retail world calls selling product "moving" product: it has to get out of the way so they can move the next one! Your pricing scheme here is actually precisely backwards, you'd have to pay many times more than the box is worth up front for it to make any sense to the store, because they should sell probably 12 boxes in that space over the next year, and you'd have to pay for (at least the profit on) all of them, but only get your one box in the end.

I'm sure there are some rarer/more expensive/less popular boxes that this would work for, because frankly the darn thing isn't moving anyway, but the market for them would necessarily be small or else they'd move.

Finally, this would require a lot of trust, and possibly some sort of insurance/guarantee from the B&M owner, which makes it even less attractive. Lot of things can happen over that year and you might not be happy with the product when all is said and done. While incidents would be rare, if this were to become a wider marketing scheme adapted by many B&M's, it would become an issue.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Time, space, immediate sales all come into play yes. However, I would like to point out that sitting inventory tells no sales. If it is sitting in your Humidor your not moving it out the door. In my town some special product sits for quite a while. My B&M is sitting on three boxes of Anejos from Christmas and two boxes of My Father Limited almost a year on those. I buy it when I can but would like the opportunity to reserve. I guess if it didnt make any business sense then Walmart/Kmart wouldnt do it. Just saying.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    BlueRings:
    Time, space, immediate sales all come into play yes. However, I would like to point out that sitting inventory tells no sales. If it is sitting in your Humidor your not moving it out the door. In my town some special product sits for quite a while. My B&M is sitting on three boxes of Anejos from Christmas and two boxes of My Father Limited almost a year on those. I buy it when I can but would like the opportunity to reserve. I guess if it didnt make any business sense then Walmart/Kmart wouldnt do it. Just saying.
    What vitola in the Anejo, pricing? My Father Ltd, pricing? Do they sell over the phone/online? Can you look in to this for me, I'm interested, thanks.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    BlueRings:
    I think you're missing the point here, but when I look back I don't think I made it clearly enough. There are more than two options: one being keep the sticks on the shelf for a year without making a dime and the other being keep the sticks on the shelf for a year and get some money for them while they sit. Of those two options, clearly your option is best. But the third and only real option from a business perspective is to stop carrying that product. Maybe the clientele that comes in just isn't right for it. If there is nothing that will sell in that place then the shop itself needs to be scaled back, or it needs to add on some alternative, non-cigar product that actually moves.

While it is tempting to be the B&M with the top of the line product, if it doesn't sell all it gets is bragging rights for your living room and a "for rent" sign in the window of what used to be your shop. As far as Walmart and Kmart go, I could be wrong, but I assume you pay more for a product put on layaway than you do if you purchase the same product outright. And besides, K-mart went bankrupt and Walmart makes its profits through sheer volume and treating their employees like dirt, not impeccable business decisions.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    BlueRings:
    Regarding Walmart layaway, if you buy an item on layaway you aren't guaranteed that specific item. Let's say you buy a microwave on layaway and you won't take it home for 6 months. They can sell that specific microwave (and 1,000 more of the same model) over the next 6 months, and they'll give you whatever's on the shelf at the time you're done paying for yours. They don't hold that specific item for 6 months.

As for the original premise, yeah it would make sense for them to make some cash flow on all of the items that hadn't sold over the last year. The problem is that they don't know ahead of time which items will sell and which won't. If they knew a certain box would stay virtually untouched all year, they wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.