Home General Discussion

Humidor question.

Scrowe80Scrowe80 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
Is it o.k. to store cigars of different types in the same humidor or will the oils from the different cigars react in a way to ruin the different types? I have 1 humidor which is 85% Cuban cigars but I also have a box of  Arturo Fuente Special selection cigars in there that were left over from when I had my fist child. My other humidor has cigars I got as gifts and odds and ends I bought. Any suggestions on how I should keep them, or just leave them as they are there should be no problem.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Welcome to the forum. You should be all set keeping your cigars together. If you were planning on aging them for years you might want to organize them a little more but just for general storing and smoking the only thing you need to keep separate are infused cigars, they will affect the others.
  • Scrowe80Scrowe80 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    Well a majority of my cigars have been aging awhile now. Some of them are 10 years old if not older. A majority of them are at least 1 year or older. How should I store the older more valuable smokes? The box that was for my daughters berth is even over 3 years old now. Man I feel like I have soooooo much to learn.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I love it that you said the BOX OF CIGARS was over three years old, NOT your DAUGHTER! LOL Yeah, you're gonna fit in around here just fine I think... :-)

Lots to learn maybe, but the cool thing is the in these forums you found THE best source of no-BS information on cigars anywhere! TONS of great knowledge (using the search box while on the forums is a great way to find information) and a super bunch of people on the forums who are always willing to answer questions and give help where it is needed.

Welcome to the forums man! Hope you stick around! :-)

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Over time (like 5-10 yrs), the oils from one kind of cigar can migrate to another and subtly change the taste. But - and this is a big BUT - the only way you'll notice is if you've got a highly refined palate - as in so refined you can blend your own cigars. For the rest of us, if you're REALLY good, you might notice a very subtle difference - but if you're like most of us, there's no way you'll ever notice

That said, never store infused cigars next to normal cigars - the infused cigars will impart a very noticeable taste to the non-infused sticks

As for aging, the standard way you keep your normal cigars should work just fine - 65%, 65F, or whatever your preference. Though I have heard some long-term agers will drop the RH down to 60 or even 50% (no idea if this is true and I've NO idea if it'll ruin your cigars or not - just something I heard way back from a source I can't remember)