Home Ratings & Reviews

Punch Double Maduro - Punch size 6.5 x 44.

boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
So I think this is one of my first attempts at a review and I don’t have the most refined palate (and I’m ok with that) and I’ve only had one of these so far so hang in there guys, and here we go. I picked up a few of these from Tim a month or so back because I wanted to explore Punch a little more and this Double Maduro seemed like a good place to start.

This thing looked fairly dark and was pretty oily which I like. The cigar had a very earthy semi sweet aroma and when I chewed the cap I got a decent amount of sweetness to it. Chew got me into cigars so I have no problems chewing the cap to get a sense of what I’m in for, and with this one it reminded me of Redman Original, which is a good thing. It had a bit of sweetness to it, and just an overall old school earthy hearty tobacco flavor going on. Since I love the way tobacco tastes. . . . this is a good thing.

It was an easy clip, which gave me the perfect draw right off the bat, and I was really impressed with the construction. The pre-light was very earthy with a background of chocolate, but not sweet at all, which was surprising. For some reason I was expecting a sweeter smoke, but this could be a good thing.

After I toast the foot and light it up, right off the bat there’s lots of thick smoke with an easy draw the chocolate is way in the background and the flavors are dominated by a rich earthy slightly spicy tobacco flavor. I’m digging it. I think this has a tri country filler from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and Honduras so maybe that is what is giving it what I would consider some really nice balance. Medium/full body and flavor is about the strongest I go these days and this cigar is pushing it a little, which is a pleasant surprise. I read some other reviews out there which talk of notes of coffee and the punch “signature black cherry flavor,” however I’m not getting either of those this time. Good thing I have a few more to try while I look for those other flavors in there as well. All in all, this is a really good cigar with a great lingering aftertaste. I would put it at medium to full flavor and body with the strength building throughout the cigar after.

I was expecting more sweetness from a Double Maduro for some reason but the earthy old school tobacco flavors we’re very welcome.

This is a very good cigar at a great price. I'd highly recomend it as a daily "go-to" for someone who likes earthy, traditional, rich, tobacco flavors.