Home General Discussion

Hello from a new member

ejrjrejrjr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 11
Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a very casual cigar smoker over the years, went to a wedding last weekend and was offered an amazing cigar. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all week and came to the realization that I have found myself a new passion. I know very little about collecting/keeping cigars so googled for some info and found my way here. Seems like a great active community and look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Cheers.
Ed

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    welcome. start asking questions. we were all new guys at some point. some are always new guys. but we are all learning
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Welcome Ed! You couldn't have stumbled into a better place, and you will find answers to pretty much anything cigar-related you could wonder by asking here. It's a pretty welcoming place, and this is a great start, so feel free to jump on in with both feet!
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    kuzi16:
    some are always new guys.
    You rang....lol

Welcome to the forum!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Welcome to the forum. You won't find a better bunch of BOTL's to hang with. I've learned a lot from these guys and they've enabled me to increase my stogie-burning pleasure immensely.

Marty

ENFIDL:
    kuzi16:
    You rang....lol

Welcome to the forum!
    i was actually talking about myself
    every time i think i know this stuff i learn something i have never heard of or there is something that i just dont understand and i have to go look it up.
  • ejrjrejrjr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 11
    Thanks for the quick welcoming. My first question: it seems most cigars I have smoked take an hour or more to get through. What size cigar should I be looking for a 30 to 40 minute smoke? Or is this just the norm and I just need to cut it short? Ed
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    kuzi16:
    ENFIDL:
    kuzi16:
    You rang....lol

Welcome to the forum!
    i was actually talking about myself
    every time i think i know this stuff i learn something i have never heard of or there is something that i just dont understand and i have to go look it up.
    kuzi.... that's like Einstein in his later years saying he's prettyndumb when it comes science!
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    ejrjr:
    Thanks for the quick welcoming. My first question: it seems most cigars I have smoked take an hour or more to get through. What size cigar should I be looking for a 30 to 40 minute smoke? Or is this just the norm and I just need to cut it short? Ed
    Hi Ed welcome to the forum. I myself don't know what brand is best but I have seen some cigars they call cigarillos. They are 3 to 4 inches long guess you could get a 30 minute smoke out of them. I am sure there is a brother on here that can give you more info on them
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Hey! Welcome to the CCom forums, the best place to be for all your cigar needs. Just a forewarning, though, you may learn so much more than you thought possible about cigars and thus become addicted to knowledge and brotherhood.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,808
    Welcome aboard! Start planning for that walk in humidor now. If you have questions, you've come to the right place. Tons of tips and tricks from all the brothers here.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    ejrjr:

Welcome to the forum Ed. I've learned so much from these Brothers Of The Leaf in the past few months. For a quick smoke I like 5-Vegas Gold, Cohiba Red Dot pequenos or Gurkha Mirco Batch. Most cigars take about an hour or two to smoke, after all it is about the enjoyment, flavors and relaxation. You will probably find others you can smoke quickly as you sample different cigars too. Suggestion: Pick up a mild and bold sampler and start playing. Cigar of the month club is worth a look too.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    ejrjr:
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a very casual cigar smoker over the years, went to a wedding last weekend and was offered an amazing cigar. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all week and came to the realization that I have found myself a new passion. I know very little about collecting/keeping cigars so googled for some info and found my way here. Seems like a great active community and look forward to learning as much as I can from you all. Cheers. Ed
    Welcome to the forums, Ed. And what was the make and model of that amazing cigar you smoked last week?
    I wish I knew. I am trying to get in touch with the guy who gave it to me but it turns out it was a friend of a friend of my wifes husband. So I have not been able to get in touch with him yet. Of course I didn't have the foresight to ask or look at the time. Ed
    30-40 minutes is hardly time enough if you ask me.

my advice: never rush a cigar.

i smoke less than i want to because i want to take the time to enjoy the entire cigar. the cigars i do get to smoke are that much more enjoyable. i am never left "wanting more"

i would be left wanting more if i looked down at my robusto after 30 minutes and had two thirds of it left yet needed to put it down.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Welcome Ed
    Just to let you know some of the heavy hitters posted below. Make friends. They know their stuff.
    Time and cigars do not go well together. You start off just wanting a taste. Of course, the nicotine is a bit strong. You put it down. Maybe light it again.
    You'll find your groove. And after a while you'll be like the rest of us.
    "Dear, I'll see you in 2 hours."
    kuzi16:
    30-40 minutes is hardly time enough if you ask me.

my advice: never rush a cigar.

i smoke less than i want to because i want to take the time to enjoy the entire cigar. the cigars i do get to smoke are that much more enjoyable. i am never left "wanting more"

i would be left wanting more if i looked down at my robusto after 30 minutes and had two thirds of it left yet needed to put it down.
    Sounds like really good advice. My thought was that I rarely have an hour or more to myself and wouldn't want to waste half a cigar or try to rush smoking it. I wasn't sure if there were some that you could fully smoke at an appropriate pace that would last 30 to 40. Ed
    beatnic:
    Welcome Ed
    Just to let you know some of the heavy hitters posted below. Make friends. They know their stuff.
    Time and cigars do not go well together. You start off just wanting a taste. Of course, the nicotine is a bit strong. You put it down. Maybe light it again.
    You'll find your groove. And after a while you'll be like the rest of us.
    "Dear, I'll see you in 2 hours."
    I love it! Not sure the Mrs will though :) Ed
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Welcome, Ed. I find myself with a similar problem a lot of the time. I don't yet have a great solution, but I've come up with a couple suggestions. Like Kuzi, I smoke less often than I'd like to. When I really want a cigar but don't have enough time, I'll grab something I don't mind putting down if I have to. There also seem to be a couple of things that shorten smoke time: size and amount of filler. The first is obvious, but for the second, if a stick is a little softer its lighter packed and will burn faster. Some small cigars, like the Man o' War Puro Authentico (corona size) actually take a while to smoke because they're well-packed. You'll figure it out, you'll see what you handle in what time frame, and what you enjoy on some level but don't mind putting down early if necessary. You'll also find time for the longer smokes, even if they are infrequent. More than anything, you'll find yourself with a new hobby, and if you stick around here, a great new set of friends. Welcome and enjoy.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Welcome to the boards.
  • RCCCigarRCCCigar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 106
    As far as the 30-40 minute smoke, I went to a small Oliva event at my local cigar store one time, but I didn't have much time to stay and smoke. I asked the owner of the store for some advice on a shorter smoke, and he pointed me to the Oliva Serie G. It was the double robusto, I think. It lasted me about 45 minutes. It was a good cigar, too.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    ejrjr:
    I wish I knew. I am trying to get in touch with the guy who gave it to me but it turns out it was a friend of a friend of my wifes husband. So I have not been able to get in touch with him yet. Of course I didn't have the foresight to ask or look at the time. Ed
    Welcome to the Forum Ed. Hope you find out what cigar that was you really enjoyed. I guess you could always ask your "wifes husband". ;)
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    y2pascoe:
    ejrjr:
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a very casual cigar smoker over the years, went to a wedding last weekend and was offered an amazing cigar. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it all week and came to the realization that I have found myself a new passion. I know very little about collecting/keeping cigars so googled for some info and found my way here. Seems like a great active community and look forward to learning as much as I can from you all.

Cheers.
    Ed

Welcome to the forums, Ed. And what was the make and model of that amazing cigar you smoked last week?

What pascoe, no address list comment? I'm insulted. Not really. Like I said before...earned.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    Welcome to the forum. I too am very new to the forum. Only by a day I think. Alienmisprint gave some great advise in a post to me so I thought I would quote hime by saying:

alienmisprint:
    Right on, welcome to the fold, make yourself at home. Oh, and some advice if you plan on hanging around here:

1) buy a bigger humidor
    2) buy an even bigger humidor
    3) go on MyPay and start a monthly allotment to Ccom
    4)make a coolerdor

Just thought I would pass that along to you. Once again, welcome.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Welcome to the forums. THis is a great place to learn.

I just wanted to chime in on the 30-40 minute smoke because I find myself trying to sneak in a quick smoke in that time frame more often than not. Cigarillos are nice for quick smokes (they come in tins) but for me, they don't have the feel of a real cigar. On the other hand, petite coronas last me around 40-45 minutes and give me the feel of smoking a real cigar. So if that's all the time you have, I would suggest seeking out petite coronas. 5 Vegas (Gold and Miami) and Rocky Patel (Vintage 1990 and 1992) have some petite coronas that I usually keep on hand.