Home General Discussion

5 Vegas Trippled A

djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
So about 3 weeks ago I had my first 5 Vegas Tripple A and WOW was it awesome. Full of flavor and smoke and it kind of kicked my butt. Tasted just like Chocolate and smoked it all the way down to the nub. So I ordered a 10 pack from ccom. I was excited to have one today and god was it terrible. It was very harsh from when it was lit till about halfway. Had to put it out. It had no coco flavor what so ever. Has this ever happened to anyone. I am really ticked I bought so many and they taste bad and not what I previously experienced. Could it just be one cigar that just was bad. I guess I will let them age for a little, maybe they will taste better. Sigh

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Did you smoke it right away? From what I know it's usually recommended letting them sit in the humidor for a while after receiving them in the mail. Either that or you just got a dud. Haven't had the Triple A yet but I hear good things. I like the Classic myself. The torpedo is excellent and very cheap in price.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    How old was the one you liked? This cigar is one that does very well with 6 months or more under its belt.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    Put it into your humi and let it sit for a bit. This should help you. When you transport or ship cigars they normally need to be rested before you smoke them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    edelrionyc:
    Put it into your humi and let it sit for a bit. This should help you. When you transport or ship cigars they normally need to be rested before you smoke them.
    i was gunna say that....

trucks usually dont have humidity control and many dont even have temp control in the cargo area.

gotta let those guys get to the themp and rh that you want.
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 312
    I even tested this theory. I received a cigar package from the Mailman. I took a stick, lit it up, and smoked it as soon as the package left the Mailmans hands. The stick was horrible. I let it rest for a week or two and the cigar gained it's taste and smoothness again.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    bigharpoon:
    How old was the one you liked? This cigar is one that does very well with 6 months or more under its belt.
    Yep. The more time you can put on those, the better.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    The trick is building up your inventory. I use to buy five or six, smoke them in a week, and then go back for five more, I never gave them a chance to age. Then I started to buy doubles each time Place one in a separate humidor (dated) that I would not touch for six months.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    Yeah I understand about aging. The one I had previously was aged about 2 or 3 months. But I figured that this cigar would be still good once received, because I still enjoyed the opus x once received and it needs aging. Well I will let them age for a while and see if they progress in flavor. Thanks for the help everyone. Regards,
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    djbeenie:
    Yeah I understand about aging. The one I had previously was aged about 2 or 3 months. But I figured that this cigar would be still good once received, because I still enjoyed the opus x once received and it needs aging. Well I will let them age for a while and see if they progress in flavor. Thanks for the help everyone. Regards,
    ya but the X has age on it before being released AAA is roled and shipped. Age matters If I like a cigar I buy a box. and dip in once a month or so, Most of my sticks have 6-8 months and some a yr and a half. I've join COTM in Nov. and have only smoked about 6 sticks so far. I know this isn't realistic for everyone to do but my thoughts when I buy is they are my future sticks. So I always have good aged sticks to smoke.
    djbeenie:
    not every trip through the mail will result in a bad smoke. however, there are times where the RH is off in the trip and to reduce the chances of a bad smoke you let it rest.
    kuzi16:
    djbeenie:
    not every trip through the mail will result in a bad smoke. however, there are times where the RH is off in the trip and to reduce the chances of a bad smoke you let it rest.
    Got it, I really appreciate the input. I will keep that in mind. I am still learning. Regards,
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    kuzi16:
    djbeenie:
    Anyone ever check if the difference between a good trip and a bad trip has anything at all to do with whether the company ships with humipacks? Or maybe time of year?
  • StraightShooterStraightShooter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    bigharpoon:
    Good to know as i have a 10 pack on the way after really enjoying one from a sampler. That one rested for about 2 1/2 months. Ill be sure to let these set for awhile. Its like opening your Christmas presents, then not being able to play with it until Spring time.....
    So a re-capp on the Vegas Tripple A. It has been almost 2 months since I had my last and again it tasted terrible. No chocolate flavor and seemed stale tasting. Maybe my taste buds changed? Maybe different crop? I have about 15 of these. Anyone want to trade?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Oh man, that stinks! I'd say more age but if these are the same age as the one you enjoyed then...??? Not to sound condescending but you aren't mixing up the 'A' and 'AAA'? They have very different flavor profiles. If you do want to trade I'm sure somebody will take you up on it. I have plenty already but if you want to get rid of them put up a post in the trades section. Sorry about your experience. Bummer.
    bigharpoon:
    Oh man, that stinks! I'd say more age but if these are the same age as the one you enjoyed then...??? Not to sound condescending but you aren't mixing up the 'A' and 'AAA'? They have very different flavor profiles. If you do want to trade I'm sure somebody will take you up on it. I have plenty already but if you want to get rid of them put up a post in the trades section. Sorry about your experience. Bummer.
    I thought the same thing so I double checked awhile back. They are the Tripple A. It has the nice gold band that reads AAA. I may just let them age a year and see what happens. Bummer though.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I say hang onto them until they hit 6 months in your humi and give them another go before you do anything with them. You should see a change by then and be able to decide whether or not you want to wait any longer.

Hell if you don't like them at 6 months PM me and I'll definitely work a trade with you. We can even meet for a mini herf and save shipping :p
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    doromath:
    I say hang onto them until they hit 6 months in your humi and give them another go before you do anything with them. You should see a change by then and be able to decide whether or not you want to wait any longer.
    That's what I'd do too. This stick really changes with rest.
    doromath:

Hell if you don't like them at 6 months PM me and I'll definitely work a trade with you. We can even meet for a mini herf and save shipping :p
    Allright, I will wait on them longer. But yeah we can do a mini herf! Have to see if Krieg wants to get get one setup soon.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Yeah if they don't come around for you with more rest then I will happily trade w you also. I am a big fan of these and I never smoke em with less than 6 months in my humi. I got mine last fall and just pulled one last week and it was awesome.
    next time i order i wanna get a 5 pack and let it sit for 1-5 years

i think that even at 5 years this cigar will be good and have a good amount of power left to it.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    djbeenie:
    So a re-capp on the Vegas Tripple A. It has been almost 2 months since I had my last and again it tasted terrible. No chocolate flavor and seemed stale tasting. Maybe my taste buds changed? Maybe different crop? I have about 15 of these. Anyone want to trade?
    DONT DO IT BEENIE! Had a similar experience to yours with the AAA, but in reverse. Got one in a Cigar of the Month sampler last year and was hyped up to try it because Id heard lots of good stuff on it. Smoked it - harsh as hell, just awful. Chalked it up to a typical 5Vegas (not a huge fan, although I have found some winners from them).

Fast forward a year or so, and I found one of these laying in the bottom of the humi (think it was from lilwing in a bomb he sent me) and figured why not? WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Got everything you mentioned in the first one you had - perfect blend of power and balance, DELICIOUS chocolate, etc. Did a little research in the forums and found out yeah, this is one of those sticks that absolutely blossoms with age. Try to rush it, and you get the bad AAA. Be a patient boy, you get the good AAA. After finding this out I immediately bought a box and threw it in coolidorasaurus with a piece of masking tape with the date on it preventing me from opening the box.

Said all that to say this - dont trade away whatever AAA's you've got left bro. BURY EM in the bottom of a humidor, forget about em for six months or a year, then get back on this thread and sing the gospel. Trust us. :-D

The Sniper:
    djbeenie:
    DONT DO IT BEENIE! Had a similar experience to yours with the AAA, but in reverse. Got one in a Cigar of the Month sampler last year and was hyped up to try it because Id heard lots of good stuff on it. Smoked it - harsh as hell, just awful. Chalked it up to a typical 5Vegas (not a huge fan, although I have found some winners from them).

Fast forward a year or so, and I found one of these laying in the bottom of the humi (think it was from lilwing in a bomb he sent me) and figured why not? WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Got everything you mentioned in the first one you had - perfect blend of power and balance, DELICIOUS chocolate, etc. Did a little research in the forums and found out yeah, this is one of those sticks that absolutely blossoms with age. Try to rush it, and you get the bad AAA. Be a patient boy, you get the good AAA. After finding this out I immediately bought a box and threw it in coolidorasaurus with a piece of masking tape with the date on it preventing me from opening the box.

Said all that to say this - dont trade away whatever AAA's you've got left bro. BURY EM in the bottom of a humidor, forget about em for six months or a year, then get back on this thread and sing the gospel. Trust us. :-D

Alright. I am going to bury them and forget about them. I am going to try again in a year and resurrect this post. HAHA! Thanks everyone for your input!