Home General Discussion

Saw a guy on the golf course smoking a ISOM Cohiba

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
Was in a group waiting behind him for a tee box while he was about to light up. I asked him about it and he responded with a horrible lack of enthusiasm that his friend had got him a box of them. He was old and I could have taken it from him. Damn moral code.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    but were they real?
    i never trust friends of friends
    worse yet, friends of strangers
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I only know the band. Don't have the masterful eye to pick out a fake, especially at my vantage point.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yeah, I wouldn't have trusted that at all. "My friend got them" is usually as bad as "I know a guy who knows a guy..."
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Was in Vegas last week and saw a guy with one hanging out his mouth. Was playing craps with him and looked real to me. No one said anything, dont think they cared its illegal, hell prostitution is legal there...lol
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    They were fake. 99% sure of that. Cohibas are notoriously fake..... If it were a Party or a Monte, then more likely legit.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    zeebra:
    Was in Vegas last week and saw a guy with one hanging out his mouth. Was playing craps with him and looked real to me. No one said anything, dont think they cared its illegal, hell prostitution is legal there...lol
    A good buddy of mine went to Vegas a while back and said he saw some pre-embargo Cubans for sale at a couple of shops.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    It really is a shame that there are so many fakes. I love my Cohibas, and I have seen fakes over the years. I never purchase from a 'friend of a friend' or anyone who is willing to hagle over the price. In Canada they are legal, but there are still a lot of fakes around for anyone who wants a "deal of the day" on Cuban cigars.
    What I hope is that when I post pics on this forum, that you all don't think they are fakes and that I'm a fool

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    zeebra:
    If you saw him also at the strip club in the booth gettin' a lapper with a ISOM Robusto, then that was ME!!!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I only take less expensive sticks golfing. you never know what may happen to the stick
    dennisking:
    I only take less expensive sticks golfing. you never know what may happen to the stick
    I'd agree with that note... when I'm doing something and can't give the 'gar my full attention I'd opt for a lesser stick
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    In Monterey there is a shop that If you KNOW the Guys or ACT like you KNOW what your talking about He has an absolutley Astonishing Collection of ISOM's available ... All legit, with serial Numbers Batch Numbers ETC......... I watched Davis Love and some other Golfer I didnt know Going through them... Davis Love knows more about Cigars than the Shop owner that REALLY knows his Chit! Life is Good!
  • ztanner25ztanner25 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 48
    Upon reading this thread I didn't have a clue what an ISOM is. Now that I google image searched it, I realize it's the same Cohiba Cuban that my friend brought me back from Cancun. Now yall got me nervous it's a fake, I'll post pictures in a bit.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Such mysticism and speculation surrounding Cuban cigars. Think I ever get my hands on one, I'm just going to keep it to myself for fear of having it debunked.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I personally feel they are hyped up way too much. Sure there are good ones and such but that could be said for anything. I feel for people who get robbed on isoms though.
    ztanner25:
    Upon reading this thread I didn't have a clue what an ISOM is. Now that I google image searched it, I realize it's the same Cohiba Cuban that my friend brought me back from Cancun. Now yall got me nervous it's a fake, I'll post pictures in a bit.

Couldn't find my nikon so I had to give it my best shot with the webcam. I'll replace these when I find the nikon.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Cohiba is upside down and backwards on the band....
    Diamondog:
    Cohiba is upside down and backwards on the band....

Is this a serious statement?

If so, that is because the camera gives a mirror image.
    Yes it is a serious statement, I can't make out the secondary band but the primary band is upside down, a correct Cohiba band would read Cohiba as pictured....Camera giving a mirrored image? Thats odd....EDIT I guess webcam takes in reverse?? Anyways be good to see better pictures

• poypoykingpoypoyking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    Yeah, that label is definitely wrong :(
    I'll have to post pictures with my Nikon when I find it, because the label reads correctly, I just can't discern the more intricate signs of a fake. From what I've searched it seems to be real except I am still in question of the checkerboard pattern on mine. Sorry Diamonddog, the webcam screwed up the pic. The label appears to be the same as the one posted below mine, but I cannot discern the finer details.
    Based on the secondary band alone, that is definitely a fake. Sorry bud.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I was gifted the only true isom I've ever had from the forum member who was shaving with a samurai sword in his profile pic. What was that guy's name? Good dude.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Luko:
    I was gifted the only true isom I've ever had from the forum member who was shaving with a samurai sword in his profile pic. What was that guy's name? Good dude.
    That was Shirley AKA rusirius..
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    Haha too funny, I just dug up the old etiquette thread and there that avatar was lol
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    Ah right, a blast from the past. Shirley, wherever you are, thanks for my first and only isom.
    Luko:
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    Ah right, a blast from the past. Shirley, wherever you are, thanks for my first and only isom.
    That guy was great... Always had a flair for posting the LONGEST single post ever....

He had a ton of good info on shaving, cycles etc., but would put all his knowledge in one post and take up a WHOLE PAGE! That guy was crazy!
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    docbp87:
    Based on the secondary band alone, that is definitely a fake. Sorry bud.
    Or.....he has a damn nice friend. and just got a cohiba 1966 ....either way. http://habanophiles.com/2011/03/cohiba-1966-edicion-limitada-2011/
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    ztanner25:
    If it's a pigtail cap and he got it in cancun at the la casa del habanos shop there, you are golden. Thats the first la casa ever so they have a lot of awesome smokes there.
    The 1966 is not released yet...I guess its possible to have a pre release but highly unlikely...
    The pre-releases that are out there aren't banded, at least that I've seen. Maybe some that were distributed at the Festival had bands, but most of what is out there right now is unbanded. The second band on the cigar in the photo is also colored incorrectly... the gold and black areas look to be opposite or what they are supposed to be. Also, that wrapper is HORRIBLE looking, unlike the 1966 wrapper.

Oh, and the 1966 isn't out yet. ;)