Home General Discussion

Reviving gifted cigars

asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
A friend of mine brought some cigars from home which she'd received a while back, and gave them to me last night. I have no idea how long they've been out of a humidor, but it's been at least on the scale of months. Any tips for how to tell how well-humidified they are, and how to possibly go about getting them into smoking shape?

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    they are probably trash....but, u could start by keeping them in a humi at like 50% or less humidification, then slowly over a good month or more, bring them up maybe by a percent a day or so.....
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    First question...are they worth reviving? If they're not high end, I personally wouldn't bother...and even then, you don't want a high end cigar to have a bad stigma in your mind due to smoking a poor specimen. If you are going to dedicate the time, start low and bring them up slow...be prepared to take 6+ months on the revival.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,808
    Imo, save the space and get some fresh sticks. Don't waste the real estate in the humi. Again just a thought.
  • ScottUScottU Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 194
    I tried reviving a 5 pack of cigars that someone gave me, after slowing raising the humidity over a year, I finally smoked one.... It was horrible, threw the others away. I believe that the oils can completely dry up from the leaves, ruining them forever!
  • asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    Thanks for the advice guys! Is there no good way to tell how dried up they are without smoking one first?