Home General Discussion

Repairing a wrapper

jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
Didn't want to resurrect an old thread but, back around February, there was one dealing with methods of repairing a cracked wrapper. If memory serves, most of the comments had to do with cracking near the head resulting from punching or cutting, but I've also experienced a cracked wrapper or two resulting, I think, from taking a stick out of my 65% RH coolidor out into a blustery, rainy day on the patio where the humidity was a lot higher and having it swell up due to the increased humidity.

A couple of the comments mentioned using the gummed portion of rolling papers to stick over the crack. I may have stumbled onto an even better way of fixing it.

While I was shopping for some rolling papers, I came across a product that claims to be made from pipe tobacco and is used to wrap a cigar with. They also come in flavors, which interested me not at all, but I know that some machine made cigars use a wrapper that looks like paper but is made from tobacco so I decided to try the ones made with pipe tobacco.

My first attempt didn't go too well. I tore off a small strip long enough to cover the crack, licked the gummed side, and applied it longitudinally over the crack. While I was continuing to smoke it, the patch came loose and didn't do any good.

The next time I tried it, I tore off a strip long enough to wrap all the way around the stick and overlap itself a bit. This worked quite well.

These wrappers come 2 to the package and sell for around a buck. Each wrapper is rolled with a sheet of plastic(?) in between so it doesn't stick to itself. Just unroll it a bit, tear off what you need, and roll up the rest. I don't know how large each sheet is and it doesn't say on the package. I didn't unroll one all the way to check.

The label on the package says "Double Platinum" pipe tobacco cigar wraps. I found them in a cigarette store (a head shop?) where there was quite a bit of smoking paraphernalia available. Here's a pic:

Don't know if you can make it out very well but it's the best I could do. Hope this info is of some help.

Marty

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Hmmmm... Marty was looking for "Rolling" papers on 4/20....

*Raises Eyebrow*
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Lasabar:

*Raises Eyebrow*

Purely for cigar wrapper repairs, honest. I may have tried 'wacky terbacky' a bunch of years ago - but I didn't inhale. (edit) And neither did ol' Slick Willie - or so I'm told.

Marty

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Just use some pectin to cover tears, or put loose flaps back.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    Lasabar:

*Raises Eyebrow*
    Hmmmm... Marty was looking for "Rolling" papers on 4/20 to get a " fix" for "crack....

*Raises Eyebrow (fixed it for ya)
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    Lasabar:

*Raises Eyebrow*
    if he is in cali it makes sense
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    415:
    Lasabar:

*Raises Eyebrow*
    if he is in cali it makes sense
    It's LEGAL!
    docbp87:
    Just use some pectin to cover tears, or put loose flaps back.

Right. That works. But, lazy me, I've been there - done that. These tobacco/papers are just sooo much easier.

Marty

• YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    jlmarta:
    Lasabar:

*Raises Eyebrow*

Purely for cigar wrapper repairs, honest. I may have tried 'wacky terbacky' a bunch of years ago - but I didn't inhale. (edit) And neither did ol' Slick Willie - or so I'm told.

Marty

Yeah, but Slick Willie had a much better humidor than you do!
    It all depends on what your definition of "is" is..... or, in this case, your definition of "humidor"....

In either case, you're probably right.

Marty