Home General Discussion

What I love about the forums, mainly for the newer members...

DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
j0z3r:
everybody knows everything about cigars...
Can you feel the sarcasm?

I know nothing and I am here to learn. This is by far the best place to do that for more than one reason. Here are a few, along with some easy ways to cope with them:

1) Every BOTL here has an opinion and isn't afraid to share it.
Dealing with it: Don't sit down with thin skin, and realize that some people never say anything serious ("Lasabar" comes to mind with one comment in the last 24 hours that I took as serious, and it was good advice)

2) Aside from a few personal spats [which are sometimes nerve grating, and this quote doesn't come from a spat but two people actually disusing an issue] everyone seems to get along very well.
Dealing with it: Ignore them completely, do not get drug into an argument and possibly make it worse or inflamed by putting your opinions/feelings out there about the issue. It is usually over something you have no knowledge of anyways. This goes for personal fights, not discusions on valid topics

3) In keeping with number one; while some of us agree on some things, I've yet to find anyone that agrees with everything, the differing opinions help people who are learning.
Dealing with it: Take the good and the bad and make your own normal!

4) Everyone here is more than generous with their knowledge and their cigars; if you want to try something but cant/don't feel like shelling out the $$$ or can't find it there is always someone willing to help out.
Dealing with it:Find someone and set up a trade, ask questions! Don't take anything personally, this is an information sharing forum.

After all, most everyone is here to learn and smoke some awesome sticks!

Comments

• RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    DSWarmack:
    j0z3r:

I know nothing and I am here to learn. This is by far the best place to do that for more than one reason. Here are a few, along with some easy ways to cope with them:

Dealing with it: Don't sit down with thin skin, and realize that some people never say anything serious ("Lasabar" comes to mind with one comment in the last 24 hours that I took as serious, and it was good advice)

2) Aside from a few personal spats [which are sometimes nerve grating, and this quote doesn't come from a spat but two people actually disusing an issue] everyone seems to get along very well.
    Dealing with it: Ignore them completely, do not get drug into an argument and possibly make it worse or inflamed by putting your opinions/feelings out there about the issue. It is usually over something you have no knowledge of anyways. This goes for personal fights, not discusions on valid topics

3) In keeping with number one; while some of us agree on some things, I've yet to find anyone that agrees with everything, the differing opinions help people who are learning.

4) Everyone here is more than generous with their knowledge and their cigars; if you want to try something but cant/don't feel like shelling out the $$$ or can't find it there is always someone willing to help out.
    Dealing with it:Find someone and set up a trade, ask questions! Don't take anything personally, this is an information sharing forum.

+1
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    RCY Cigars:
    DSWarmack:
    j0z3r:

+1
    Yep, I'd say that about sums it up for me, too. Good post!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    One of the best posts EVER.. This should become the forums "Welcome" mat.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Very well stated.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Good post, though I do think that quote at the beginning is taken a bit out of context.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 843
    Great post!!! This should be posted on ALL cigar forums not just this one. But this place is the est so let it start here.

Rob
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    DSWarmack:

this quote doesn't come from a spat but two people actually disusing an issue

Not by me (I hope), I understood it as you explaining a frustrating situation on the forums, an 'everyone knows better than everyone else' type thing, with camgfs. If I did take it out of context I apologize. I have edited the line in the original post to more aptly describe the quote.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    He said "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, riddle them with bullets".
    I would listen to the man's brilliance. We know the alternative.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    DSWarmack:
    some people never say anything serious ("Lasabar" comes to mind with one comment in the last 24 hours that I took as serious, and it was good advice)

It's just nice to be mentioned!!!
    I believe we all enjoy your antics Lassy! I do anyways...
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    DSWarmack:
    I believe we all enjoy your antics Lassy! I do anyways...
    +1
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 272
    Ccom should make it so that every member, new and old, has to read this and check the little box at the end that says "i have read and agree to the terms and conditions.....". Then make it so that once a month you have to do it again just so you don't forget.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    DSWarmack:
    DSWarmack:

this quote doesn't come from a spat but two people actually disusing an issue

Not by me (I hope), I understood it as you explaining a frustrating situation on the forums, an 'everyone knows better than everyone else' type thing, with camgfs. If I did take it out of context I apologize. I have edited the line in the original post to more aptly describe the quote.
    That's basically it, though yeah the quote itself I think lends itself to be taken out of context without the supporting post...not a big thing at all though, just an observation. I've been into cigars for a bit over three years now myself...in that time, I feel like I've gained a lot of knowledge and I still feel as though I'm scratching the surface, to me that's part of the joy, I can learn something new every day. And I have no problem being a perpetual newbie, it allows me to keep an open mind and grasp at that straw that is subjectivity.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Right on DS. Open forum discussions are one of the best ways to exchange knowledge and information. Differing opinions are what makes the forum more interesting and allows others to try things in a different way, that may not have been done before, with success. Even at my work during presentations or design review meetings I like to have a mix of personalities, actually I prefer some that don't agree, because you have to try and convince them. In doing so you may discover something new or they could actually be right. Go figure
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Well now that my name is listed in one of these posts, I feel compelled to post a reply, rofl.
    Good set of rules you got there......I am one of those who may need to place that check mark in the box once a month. Where do I sign up? (good golly I hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way!!!). I think that might even become my new signature, lol.

But seriously, thanks for posting those guidelines. We can all benefit from the wisdom.

j0z3r: That is exactly why I posted this. I have been smoking cigars for ten years and just here in the last few months taken to learning how and why, and all that other fun stuff. I hope that no one takes the quote out of context. I agree that it is easy to take out of context without the supporting documents. I almost posted it in the thread where I took the quote from, but didn't want to hijack that thread. I understood it as a sarcastic remark, and was sure that everyone else would, but I'm glad you brought it to my attention so I could clarify.

When I showed up a few months ago there was nothing but apparent 'brotherly cohesion' in the forums. Recently there seems to have been a few spats going on. I don't know, or care, what they were over, or even if they were bouts or just friendly banter (yet another reason to keep my nose out of it).

This is not by any means a set of guidelines for anyone but myself. These are the rules I follow in any public setting to stay at peace with the majority of said public. I was merely offering suggestions to newer members on an easy way to deal with each of the aforementioned situations. No camgfs, I didn't take it the wrong way, I was just clarifying it so no one took my post a different direction either. The day I stop learning is the day I die!
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    DSWarmack:
    Just read this and wanted to chime in as well. Great post man, this is by far my favorite line out of it, and one that sums up my cigar life.

I was also a smoker for years before joining the forums, but have learned so much more in the last 6 months than I did in the previous 6-8 years, but I still do things my own way a lot of the time because thats what works for me. Great group of guys here, and its been a fun 6 months months on the boards.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,267
    Thanks RCY for the referral. This message is duly noted and will be adhered to.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Lakota72:
    Thanks RCY for the referral. This message is duly noted and will be adhered to.

Heck, I had to read again myself. Good to go......