Home General Discussion

Closet Humi

The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
The wife got me a humi for my B-day and she wants to but me a keg of 5-Vegas Cask II, she likes the barrel. Gotta love her. I’m up to 3 humi’s now, looks like I’m into it for the long haul. Thanks for all the advice brothers, but hanging with this group has seriously warped my thinking. For instance; In the middle of my house is a small walk in closet, cedar lined top to bottom, but not the floor. I’m sure it isn’t Spanish cedar but could it be converted to a walk in? This house was built in 1960 so the aroma is pretty much gone and it wouldn’t take much to trim out the door and casing then seal it up a little. Does American cedar have the same humidifying properties, or other critical attributes of Spanish cedar if used this way? Anyone have any other thoughts on this or any experience? My wife says I can have the closet if I want.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    you would need to replace the cedar. it has the humidification, but the smell is there if you can smell it or not. once you seasoned the wood it would come back.
    american cedar is cedar. spanish cedar is not in the cedar family. it is in the mahogany family.
    in spanish, the name for the tree that us english speakers know as "spanish cedar" is "Cedrela"
    the tree grows in the tropical and subtropical "new world"
    it isnt spanish either.
    .... but it is "spanish" "cedar"

the other thing you would have to keep in mind when converting is that you would need to seal it off with a vapor barrier of some sort. that would require a good amount of effort. it needs to be between the walls and the spanish cedar. the other issues include air circulation, humidity, a seal for the door....

its actually quite an undertaking. there are a few guys here that have made walk-ins before and may be able to help you more than i can.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    Lasabar wrote the following post at 04-14-2011 10:49 PM: Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed ////// Freakin lol. Someone got information overload. Too much at one time, the retinas have inverted.
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    kuzi is right. do NOT think that just because you cant smell it its ok. the cedar in your closet is "aromatic" cedar ( used to keep moths away). a little sanding/cutting or seaoning will bring that smell right back.

unless you know a good deal about construction you are biting off more than you can chew. honestly its alot more work and money than you think. i have no experience building humidors but im a union carpenter and have installed walk in wine storage rooms at work.

i personaly would go the coolidor route.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    415:
    do NOT think that just because you cant smell it its ok
    Truer words have never been spoken... AC/DC's "She's got the JACK" comes to mind
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Thanks for bringing me back to Earth guys, I do bite off more than I can chew sometimes. Like the time I took 1 week off to remodel the bathroom. Less work = more time to smoke, works for me.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Lasabar:
    415:
    do NOT think that just because you cant smell it its ok
    Truer words have never been spoken... AC/DC's "She's got the JACK" comes to mind
    Ha! Awesome - "but how was I to know that she'd been dealt with before?!"
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    maybe just put an in-wall humi, backing into that closet. then best of both worlds then your sticks are displayed as well. backlight it w/ glass in the door, i guarantee it will be a great conversation piece.