Home General Discussion

Look at this monster!

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
Photobucket Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial 6x60 Super Gordo! To be continued....

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I mean 6x66....I'm still in shock just looking at it.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Looks like a bit more than I can handle.. ( insert joke here)
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    kaspera79:
    . . . I'd hit it

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    kaspera79:
    Won't stop you from trying though!
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    kaspera79:
    I'm sure that it wouldn't be that bad as it does have an oily wrapper.............
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Wow... was a little afraid to even open this thread given the title... :-)

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I think that is the biggest damn cigar I've ever seen (not counting novelties)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bah! itll just wash out all the flavor of the wrapper.

i just cant get excited about rings that big.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Horrible. What a disgrace. Waste of really good Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 272
    kaspera79:
    that's what she said!! but damn that's a big cigar!
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,808
    THAT'S A HUGE...well you get the idea. That will eat up some real estate in the old humi. Congrats on the beast.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    docbp87:
    Is it a bad stick? I grabbed it out of pure curiousity. I will let you know how it smokes when I have 3 hours to spare.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    y2pascoe:
    docbp87:

Is it a bad stick? I grabbed it out of pure curiousity. I will let you know how it smokes when I have 3 hours to spare.

I think he's just referencing the ring gauge. With that much filler tobacco, the relative percentage of taste coming from a very nice wrapper becomes pretty small.
    The Jaime Reserva Especial is a great stick... but the wrapper is what really makes it shine. At that massive ring, the wrapper flavor is completely lost, overwhelmed by the filler. That's all I meant.
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    I can't wait till the huge ring fad is over.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    kaelaria:
    With cigars or Rappers???
    kaelaria:
    i want more lanceros, lonesdales, coronas, short panatellas.
    I'm loving this huge ring fad; anything 54+ is my cup o' tea
    Any reason in particular?
    docbp87:
    the large rings are only a recent thing. the cuban tradition is smaller. most cuban cigars are still all under a 50 ring. they do this because most of the flavor comes from the wrapper. its the best tasting, most flavorful leaf in the blend. having huge cigars makes a lower wrapper to filler ratio and it really tones down the wrapper leaf. yeah, it burns cooler, but when you already smoke as slow as i do, this leads to cigars going out and a lot of inward burn.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:
    the large rings are only a recent thing. the cuban tradition is smaller. most cuban cigars are still all under a 50 ring. they do this because most of the flavor comes from the wrapper. its the best tasting, most flavorful leaf in the blend. having huge cigars makes a lower wrapper to filler ratio and it really tones down the wrapper leaf. yeah, it burns cooler, but when you already smoke as slow as i do, this leads to cigars going out and a lot of inward burn.
    I get the inward burn/cigar going out with the big ring gauges too. I'm a slow smoker but I think there are a lot of people out there that smoke fast and the big rings may actually be a benefit to them.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    bigharpoon:
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:
    I get the inward burn/cigar going out with the big ring gauges too. I'm a slow smoker but I think there are a lot of people out there that smoke fast and the big rings may actually be a benefit to them.
    Yeah, but so would slowing down. :)

Its also probably no coincidence that the big ring trend and uber-strong trend are happening at the same time. I've just started trying coronas and lanceros and I have to say I like them a lot better than their bigger ring counterparts as well. I find they have much more concentrated flavor and you probably need something crazy strong to get the same sort of flavor from a large ring. Or maybe I have strength and flavor all jumbled, I don't know.
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:
    Oops. I was actually asking why he loves big rings. I'm right with you Kuzi... Lonsdales and Lanceros are what I am all about (and petite coronas)... 42-46 ring is my favorite, and 50 is about my max.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    kuzi16:
    docbp87:
    Very interesting and makes sense. As I smoke more and have made an effort to smoke at a slow pace, I find myself leaning toward smaller (ring) cigars. Now I know why. I may change my buying habits because of this. Thanks Kuzi.
    docbp87:
    Just personal taste/personal preference. If I try a cigar in the smaller vitola's, something about the flavor typically tastes too concentrated; the larger ring gauges mellow it out. Closest analogy I can think of would be cooking - sometimes you want a more concentrated sauce, sometimes you wanna dilute it. When I smoke at night, I don't want that kind of concentrated flavor; I just prefer a more mellow taste, so the larger ring gauges are typically what I go for

Also, I just like a longer smoke - when I go outside, I expect to be out there for at least an hour, preferably two; don't wanna come in because my cigar ended too quickly.