Home General Discussion

Online Petitions

jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
Your heart's in the right place on this, Oz, but there's a little thing about online petitions that a lot of folks don't know. They're useless. Check out this website: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp. About the only good thing to come out of them is only good for spammers who gather the names & info from them and sell the data. At least that's what I've read on the internet.

And the reason I created this new post to reply to you is because there is/was some sort of problem with the post showing the link to said petition. I tried a number of times to reply or to quote you and then reply but each time I was immediately redirected to a page concerning the CRA and I was unable to reply in any way.

Marty

Comments

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    jlmarta:
    Your heart's in the right place on this, Oz, but there's a little thing about online petitions that a lot of folks don't know. They're useless. Check out this website: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp. About the only good thing to come out of them is only good for spammers who gather the names & info from them and sell the data. At least that's what I've read on the internet.

And the reason I created this new post to reply to you is because there is/was some sort of problem with the post showing the link to said petition. I tried a number of times to reply or to quote you and then reply but each time I was immediately redirected to a page concerning the CRA and I was unable to reply in any way.

Marty

Thanks Marty,<br. I actually got an email from the congressman working on this so im not sure if this is legit or not, Pete Johnson Sent this to me personaly on my facebook page (yes he works his own Facebook Page.......... I met him at an event here in Sacramento, we had something in common... Tattoos!!!!!!! and Cigars. so maybe this one is legit. Seems to be... I have doen several on line Petitions for Different things, Saving Bear Butte, and other Native sacred places... i have never been spammed or anything from them. Hopefully this one pans out. thanks for the link.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    jlmarta:

Marty

This URL sends you to some Stupid Page that has some ticker tape crap going across it , doesnt say a thing about On line petitions being bad... I also went to the Actual Snopes sight and searched for On Line petitions and all i got was a bunch of pages telling me about Other on line petitions and there woes..... So I am not buying it. ????????
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    Redtailhawkoz:
    jlmarta:

Marty

This URL sends you to some Stupid Page that has some ticker tape crap going across it , doesnt say a thing about On line petitions being bad... I also went to the Actual Snopes sight and searched for On Line petitions and all i got was a bunch of pages telling me about Other on line petitions and there woes..... So I am not buying it. ????????
    I have read somewhere from the Cigar Rights guys that really petitions don't work. Getting people to call, or write a letter to their local state reps is much better. Oz thank you for doing this though. I think Marty was just trying to help you direct your energies to a more productive out let.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Oz, if I could ever figure out hot to add a link to a post on this fershlugginer forum, I'd do it. And I'm kinda jammed for time right now so I can ask you to take my word for it or when I have more time I'll get you some more definitive info on it. Sorry if you think I was pulling your chain... that wasn't my intent.

Marty

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    jlmarta:
    Oz, if I could ever figure out hot to add a link to a post on this fershlugginer forum, I'd do it. And I'm kinda jammed for time right now so I can ask you to take my word for it or when I have more time I'll get you some more definitive info on it. Sorry if you think I was pulling your chain... that wasn't my intent.

Marty

to add a hotlink, just do (without the periods): [.url.] put link here [./.url.]