Home General Discussion

Cigar/Tobacco Shops being Targeted In California

RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
F#$% ME ! These SOB Lawmakers are at it again and From what I just Heard on the news its going to Go through
Below is an snippet from the Article in the LA Times about the Ban

The bill is opposed by some business groups, including the California Small Business Association and the California Hotel & Lodging Association, but neither is lobbying against it. Most major hotels in California already have smoke-free lobbies and few smoking rooms because that’s what the market demands, lobbyist Randi Knott said.

The bill would not affect workplaces where all the smoking areas are outdoors, such as the Disneyland resort in Anaheim.

Tobacco retailers are putting up more of a fight. The California Association of Retail Tobacconists opposes any statewide ban affecting tobacco shops, group president Charles J. Janigian said. Most smokers are adults, tobacco use is legal, and shops and lounges are “the only safe haven they have to go and enjoy a good cigar or a bowl of pipe tobacco,” he said.

Janigian said the bill as written would even affect private cigar lounges associated with retail stores, such as the new Fat Man Cigars lounge a few blocks from the state Capitol, which has attracted some legislators as members.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!

Comments

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    So cali is looking to ban tobacco use in general at all times in the state? Or just in any enclosed place? Or just a public one? What's the actual bill?
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Ken Light:
    So cali is looking to ban tobacco use in general at all times in the state? Or just in any enclosed place? Or just a public one? What's the actual bill?

Copy and Paste this one in your Broweser.... From what the news has said It pretty Much will ban smoking everywhere but in your own Home ... and i would say eventually you will not be alowed to even smoke in your own back yard for fear a nieghboor will get second hand smoke... This will not go down withoutb a Fight from the Cigar and Tobaccoo stores but They will never win this one at least not In Healthy California...
    http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/10/3542216/bill-would-expand-california-smoking.html#mi_rss=AP State News
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I am so sick and tired of the fu@king nanny state always trying to control and regulate what we do.
    I think it is funny how they always try to ban a legal product, yet they love the tax revenue.
    Sometimes you just feel so helpless to draconian tobacco laws. I looked at the other laws being propsed in the story, and it is funny for a state that is bankrupt wasting time on nonsense, come on texting while on a bicycle is going to be illegal, what a waste of resources and time.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Texting on a bicycle should be legal if and only if it is also legal to run the Darwinian dead end doing it into the pavement.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    and people wonder why i want out of this piece of crappola state.....
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    California has been hijacked by the crazies.
    beatnic:
    California has been hijacked by the crazies.

It is a Sad State of affairs...... I mean seriousley, you can take your Dog Damn near anywhere thats Not Safe or Sanitary... You can posses an ounce of Pot and its an Infraction 75 buck fine..... you can buy Pot on every street corner it seems, but you can smoke a Freaking cigar in a Cigar Lounge where EVERYONE IN THERE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE IN THIER FOR> AND SMOKE A CIGAR! lol REDICULOUS
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Kind of off subject, but I wonder if we can get the "Legalize It" crowd to help with these smoking bans...

Just thinking of the future when more states make Pot less illegal, then the smoking bans will attack those guys too!

"CONTACT BUZZES KILLED MY KID!!! I had a beautiful baby boy who got whiff of my neighbors pot-smoke and then fell off the balcony! STOP THESE MONSTERS!!!"
  • WoWAddict99WoWAddict99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15
    This bill will not pass as is. The owners of Fat Man Cigars, Perfecto Lounge, and Casa Belicoso along with Steve Adib of Rocky Patel and some other industry folk had a meeting with the legislators pushing this last Monday. I saw what the amended bill will look like and with the strikeouts on it the bill pretty much does nothing but reduce how many smoking rooms a hotel can have. That being said most of the insiders I have talked to have said this will die in committee.
    WoWAddict99:
    This bill will not pass as is. The owners of Fat Man Cigars, Perfecto Lounge, and Casa Belicoso along with Steve Adib of Rocky Patel and some other industry folk had a meeting with the legislators pushing this last Monday. I saw what the amended bill will look like and with the strikeouts on it the bill pretty much does nothing but reduce how many smoking rooms a hotel can have. That being said most of the insiders I have talked to have said this will die in committee.
    Good... But scary that each time shlt like this pops up it's putting a *** in the armor of our rights to smoke... and each one, whether successful or not gets us closer to a future we don't want
    Lasabar:
    WoWAddict99:
    Good... But scary that each time shlt like this pops up it's putting a *** in the armor of our rights to smoke... and each one, whether successful or not gets us closer to a future we don't want
    HAHA! I KNEW that the auto censor would flag ch!nk! HAHA!
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    A peaceful sit-in outside the state capital, with cigars of course.
    Better yet, mail each lawmaker an Opux X. See if any are returned.
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    to my knowledge, laws have just been passed in the uk that mean any tobacco product must be placed in a non visible to the customer place.
    this means my local b&m will have to get frosted glass on its windows. its got a massive window on the side of the walk in humi
    if it was frosted i would never have found out it was there
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    As much as everyone says that such bills won't pass, we thought the same thing in Canada. I grew up with smoking....restaurants, hotels, in cars and houses. Now the laws are in effect. No smoking inside public buildings.............that shut down cigar bars, bingo halls and dance places. No smoking in a vehicle if anyone in the vehicle is under 16. YES, ITS A LAW HERE. Some cities in Ontario have already made smoking in public OUTDOOR places illegal. Can't have a cigar on a park bench or while waking your dog in a park or walking trail.

The U.S. has enjoyed its freedoms longer than other countries, but the days of being able to smoke where you want are comming to an end, no matter where you live. Don't shoot the messenger, it's what I have witnessed during my lifetime. First we had the mile, then the kilometer, we had smoking, now we don't (almost don't). Our government now believes that if we own a hunting rifle, we are criminals (just one branch of the gov., but that's enough to start something). I'm suprised the "cruelty to animals act" still allows me to go fishing!

• camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    quote "to my knowledge, laws have just been passed in the uk that mean any tobacco product must be placed in a non visible to the customer place. this means my local b&m will have to get frosted glass on its windows. its got a massive window on the side of the walk in humi if it was frosted i would never have found out it was there" --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This also happened in Canada. There are now covers over all cigarette displays that block the packages from site. My local B&M could be charged for allowing me into the walk-in humidor the other day. The sad thing is, kids are still smoking....all this "out of sight out of mind" stuff is not working. Imagine your B&M not allowing you to see any of the cigars it carries? Imagine websites that are not allowed to show prices or sell online? Imagine at best, you get to look at a catalogue (without prices) and choose your cigars from that, and the salesperson at the B&M selects the cigars for you and you purchase what they bring out. Imagine Canada.....lots of space, but don't smoke it up.

Fight it all if you can, because once they take it away from you, you can't get it back.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I loathe cigarettes and cigaette smokers but I absolutely hate the pleasure police and their wet nurse liberal friends who constantly ram this crap onto what were once a free people who loved liberty. just saying
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Lasabar:
    Kind of off subject, but I wonder if we can get the "Legalize It" crowd to help with these smoking bans...
    Unlikely. If you read around the pot blogs, most of them are progressive and vehemently anti-tobacco. Most of the pot-crowd thinks all tobacco gives immediate cancer, whereas pot is completely safe. Studies, and common sense, suggest otherwise, but when have a few facts gotten in the way of these kinds of people?
    WoWAddict99:

We shall see but i highley doubt that 3-4 tobacco shops 2 of those only been open a couple months and one is in the IRS radar because of a half million dollar tax bill on another buisness, and after talking to some other cigar store owners ... I would be surprised to see this pass in some form or another. Its inevitable in California... other states have similar Bills in motion and some have passed and other countries like b has been mentioned.... Its a Nice thought to think We dont have anything to worry about .... all we can do is pray! I will hate the law even more if it passes.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    fla-gypsy:
    I loathe cigarettes and cigaette smokers but I absolutely hate the pleasure police and their wet nurse liberal friends who constantly ram this crap onto what were once a free people who loved liberty. just saying
    +1 I couldn't of said it any better
    xmacro:
    Lasabar:
    Unlikely. If you read around the pot blogs, most of them are progressive and vehemently anti-tobacco. Most of the pot-crowd thinks all tobacco gives immediate cancer, whereas pot is completely safe. Studies, and common sense, suggest otherwise, but when have a few facts gotten in the way of these kinds of people?
    Let's see how they feel when all NON-Pot smokers ban them from smoking anywhere else except under a towel in their downstairs bathroom WITH the shower running...

If they ban my cigars, I ban their pot... plain and simple
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I find it quite surprising the laws are not a lot more strict there....cannot smoke anywhere inside in this country except your home...
    Diamondog:
    I find it quite surprising the laws are not a lot more strict there....cannot smoke anywhere inside in this country except your home...
    Its not far off DD... Not Far Off ! Hows life treating you DD!
  • WoWAddict99WoWAddict99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 15
    Redtailhawkoz:
    WoWAddict99:

We shall see but i highley doubt that 3-4 tobacco shops 2 of those only been open a couple months and one is in the IRS radar because of a half million dollar tax bill on another buisness, and after talking to some other cigar store owners ... I would be surprised to see this pass in some form or another. Its inevitable in California... other states have similar Bills in motion and some have passed and other countries like b has been mentioned.... Its a Nice thought to think We dont have anything to worry about .... all we can do is pray! I will hate the law even more if it passes.

As for the shop that is under scrutiny by the IRS that is wrong. The businesses were owned by seperate LLC and have nothing to do with each other, basic business laws. As for the law I have heard by the politicians that will be voting on it that it will not pass as is. If it does I have seen the version that it will be amended to so that it will do almost nothing.
    WoWAddict99:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    WoWAddict99:

As for the shop that is under scrutiny by the IRS that is wrong. The businesses were owned by seperate LLC and have nothing to do with each other, basic business laws. As for the law I have heard by the politicians that will be voting on it that it will not pass as is. If it does I have seen the version that it will be amended to so that it will do almost nothing.

I guess the news is just that the news..... I understand the buisnesses being seperate......
    all we can do is pray.... in the words of the GODZ...... Non smokers ....... there are more of us then there is of them. And Californis is on a TRIP TO SHUT DOWN ANYTHING THAT ISNT ORGANIC>>> ITS BULLSHIT... for god sakes they made Happy Meals against the Law in San Francisco.... Im a skeptic
  • duxduxduxdux Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    WoWAddict99:
    This bill will not pass as is...

This is what I heard too, and it looks like that's what happened. It was amended to exclude cigar/tobacco retailers and lounges from the restrictions.

This may come as a surprise to many, but half of the states in the Union have tougher workplace smoking restrictions than California has (at least until this bill becomes law). California's 1994 bar/restaurant ban did set the wheel in motion, but the states that followed took it much farther.

"Cigar shop smoking ban snuffed out of workplace smoking bill"
    http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/06/smoking-bill.html