Home General Discussion

Cigar stores in Madrid, Spain

rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
I am planning to take a cigar trip in Madrid. My primary goal is to collect some top cuban cigars. Can someone provide me some recommendation where to go and where to buy some authentic Cuban cigar in madrid? I want to collect: Cohiba Behike Cohiba siglo VI Trinidad Vegar Robina Cuaba I would also appreciate some suggestion. Thanks

Comments

• HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    While I have not traveled internationally, I have done a bit of research into this and I have a friend that's spent some time throughout Europe. The one place you can be absolutely guaranteed to find authentic Cuban cigars would be Casa Del Habano - these are retailers licensed by the Cuban government, and authenticity is guaranteed. Other than that, you'd probably be fairly safe finding an established retailer there (not the local fuel stop); the thing about Europe is that they've been used to receiving Cuban cigars for decades, so the counterfeit market is much smaller. I believe one of the members on here recently traveled to Madrid as well (can't recall who) so hopefully he will reply with some further info.
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Thanks Hays. I hope the member who traveled to Madrid will post something. I will be there in June so I will wait for more information.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Hays is right. Only buy Habanos at the LCDH, which I'm sure there is one of in Madrid.
  • asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    I'm not sure if Spain *has* any private tobacco shops; I was in Andalucía for two months this past summer (mostly Granada, Jerez, Cádiz, etc.) and all I saw were the state-run "Tabacos" shops. They look something like this:

Some of them will have full walk-in humidors, most just have smaller cabinet ones, but most of the ones I visited kept their smokes in good shape. You can buy boxes from the bigger ones, too. I found you can buy Montecristo, Cohiba, etc., pretty much anywhere, and the bigger ones will have just about every brand you can think of. I haven't been to Madrid yet so I don't know where to find one, but it shouldn't be hard, they were all over the place in significantly smaller cities like Granada and Málaga. Despite the much-protested recent smoking ban, the Spaniards love their tobacco! Though cigar smokers are harder to come by - I was the anomaly when I was enjoying my puros :)

If you happen to be in Granada (which is one of my favorite cities in the world) the best Tabacos shop is on Gran Vía (one of the main streets), right by the Cathedral. Has a walk-in humidor with a very impressive selection. Then take your cigar and a bottle of red wine and go up to the Mirador de San Nicolás at night, which overlooks the Alhambra. It's marvelous at night, you can see the whole city, the Alhambra's gorgeously lit, and with a cigar, wine, and hopefully a guitar and some good company, man, there's nothing like it.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    asolomon:
    If you happen to be in Granada (which is one of my favorite cities in the world) the best Tabacos shop is on Gran Vía (one of the main streets), right by the Cathedral. Has a walk-in humidor with a very impressive selection. Then take your cigar and a bottle of red wine and go up to the Mirador de San Nicolás at night, which overlooks the Alhambra. It's marvelous at night, you can see the whole city, the Alhambra's gorgeously lit, and with a cigar, wine, and hopefully a guitar and some good company, man, there's nothing like it.
    WICKED envious
    I appreciate your long reply. Apparently, you had a lot of fun there. I will be only in Madrid for couple of days to collect some Cuban cigar. My final destination will be Asia. I will also stop by in Doha, Qatar so they might have something. I wish I had time to go to Granada. I heard a lot about the beautiful Islamic history there. I know you didn't go to Madrid but any other suggestion about the culture and the people. I speak basic spanish so I will be able to express my need. While you were there, do you remember to see Vegas Robina or Cohiba Behike? Thanks
  • asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    Well, I dug up an e-mail a friend sent me last summer which included some suggestions for Madrid, maybe this will be helpful:

"The first thing was 'La Venencia', a wonderful old sherry bar in Madrid. Perhaps by now you've already been there, but if not, it can be found at C. Echegaray 7. Echegaray is very central, it runs N-S just about three streets east of Puerta del Sol (going along San Geronimo). They only serve sherry, in all its major varieties, and little snacks to go with it. Stand at the bar and they chalk your tab right on the wooden bar, old school. If you haven't tried 'palo cortado' [a variety of sherry] I'd recommend it - not so easy to find outside Spain. The house rules at La Venencia are "no photos" and "no tipping".

[Along the same street] is Cardamomo which sometimes has live flamenco. Also, a few doors up from La Venencia is La Caserola, a great old-fashioned restaurant where you can stuff yourself on the menu del dia for a reasonable price, if need be."

I'm really into flamenco so I'd definitely recommend seeing some while you're there, although you do run the risk of being steered into tourist-heavy places (which are unlikely to be very authentic, or possibly good!). I trust this friend's taste in flamenco so Cardamomo might be a good bet. Spanish food is great, if you're into the Mediterranean style. Dinner should be started at 9:30-10 PM, lasting long into the night accompanied by a bottle or three of wine :) Have a great time, man!
    Finally, I am in Madrid-land of smoking cigar. Tabaco stores are everywhere and many genuine cuban cigars. In fact, 40% Cuban cigars come to Spain for sell. I have collected many samples before I purchase my actual stock. I will keep you posted. Thank you all who helped me with information. Actually Cuban cigars are not as rare as we believe. so far I had four cigars today and all are genuine, perfectly rolled and well constructed. Cigar Aficinado rated couple of cuban cigars to the last edition. They are all available here. I am excited to try the Cohiba Behike 52. I have to discover what is the big fuzz about this cigar.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Everyone beat me to the tips, have a great time. My only advice would be to get out of Madrid and around the country if you can. Cheers.