Home General Discussion

Dried out!!!

DHawkDHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
Ok guys, I've not been into smoking very long. I got a c.com 20 ct humidor last summer and apparently I didn't season it no where near enough. Over the winter months I barely smoked at all and didn't keep the humidity up.
I was going to smoke one Tuesday when I noticed they seemed kinda hard. I squeezed the tip a little and it cracked!

I only have 10 cigars in there and would like to be able to save at least 5 of them. Do I have a chance of restoring them back to smokable or am I out of luck?
Any suggestions on what to try?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Once a cigar is dried out, that's pretty much it. You can try to re-humidify it, but it'll never taste the same as a normal one again. Might as well smoke 'em and enjoy what you can
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    xmacro:
    Once a cigar is dried out, that's pretty much it. You can try to re-humidify it, but it'll never taste the same as a normal one again. Might as well smoke 'em and enjoy what you can
    I don't agree. It really depends on how dried out they were. True, they might never be what they were, but you can still restore them to a smokable state and enjoy them. And if it was only dried out to say 50% RH then restoring it would not be difficult at all and there might not be any loss.

You'll want to bring them back to a proper level slowly, if you have humidity beads this is easier to regulate than with other humidification sources. One thing I'd recommend is taking them out of the humidor and put them in a large ziploc storage bag, this way you are not losing humidity through the humidor.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I'm with joe on this one. I've been given cigars that needed a little help but still managed to get them back to a decent stick. I just found six Gurkha Legend Torpedos in a humidor I thought was empty after about six months, and started the revival process. I expect them to come back nicely.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I found a stick that I had left in my travel trailer in the Florida sun for months by accident and it actually smoked pretty good after a short recoop period
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    As mentioned the trick is doing it slooooowly. Too fast and you will explode the sticks.
  • DHawkDHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 45
    I put 6 cigars into 2 c.com zip lock bags with water pillows. I'll try and re-fresh the water pillows every week and see how it goes.
    Since I don't have a good pallet to start with, maybe I will still be happy with them.
    The ones I cared the most about were a Ruination, Virtue, Diesel and NUB Maduro. I hope to be able to get these 4 back to smokable.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    I've had this problem when I was deployed in Iraq, the key is patience and to rehydrate slowly.