Home General Discussion

Slime on Distilled Water in Humidor

SweetnLowSweetnLow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 28
I recently got a new Cuban Crafter's humidor, and I put a dish of distilled water in it to start the seasoning process. I left it there over the week and restrained myself to a few peaks over the week to check my hygrometer.

I just opened it to take out the water because my local cigar gurus told me I can do so and watch the humidity to see if it's seasoned all the way.

However, when I took the dish out, it had 1 dime sized thing of clear slime and 2 smaller dots of slime floating around in it.

The question is, should I panic?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    SweetnLow:
    I recently got a new Cuban Crafter's humidor, and I put a dish of distilled water in it to start the seasoning process. I left it there over the week and restrained myself to a few peaks over the week to check my hygrometer. I just opened it to take out the water because my local cigar gurus told me I can do so and watch the humidity to see if it's seasoned all the way. However, when I took the dish out, it had 1 dime sized thing of clear slime and 2 smaller dots of slime floating around in it. The question is, should I panic?
    Was the dish clean? The water if it's true distilled should be bacteria free... but the dish may be a problem as well

If you can wait to put cigars in, I would just take the water out, and see what happens inside the Humi with as little disturbance as possible
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Lasabar:
    SweetnLow:
    I recently got a new Cuban Crafter's humidor, and I put a dish of distilled water in it to start the seasoning process. I left it there over the week and restrained myself to a few peaks over the week to check my hygrometer. I just opened it to take out the water because my local cigar gurus told me I can do so and watch the humidity to see if it's seasoned all the way. However, when I took the dish out, it had 1 dime sized thing of clear slime and 2 smaller dots of slime floating around in it. The question is, should I panic?
    Was the dish clean? The water if it's true distilled should be bacteria free... but the dish may be a problem as well

If you can wait to put cigars in, I would just take the water out, and see what happens inside the Humi with as little disturbance as possible
    ^this! and it's good to see ya back around Lassie!
    ENFIDL:
    Lasabar:
    SweetnLow:

^this! and it's good to see ya back around Lassie!
    Good to be back... I'm all goosed up on Miller Lite and thought it was worth a stroll through!!!
  • SweetnLowSweetnLow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 28
    I took the dish from my cabinet, so, it had better have been clean. And, I'm very sure I rinsed it out first before putting the water that went into my humi. The water was distiled water from Fred Myers that I refilled. Come to think of it, that might be the problem.

What do I look for now that my water dish is out? And what do I do if it appears?
    SweetnLow:
    I took the dish from my cabinet, so, it had better have been clean. And, I'm very sure I rinsed it out first before putting the water that went into my humi. The water was distiled water from Fred Myers that I refilled. Come to think of it, that might be the problem. What do I look for now that my water dish is out? And what do I do if it appears?
    Two things... If you have your Hygrometer in there just check the %... and then look for any signs of mold

If you are really anal, like me, then don't wait, just wipe your humi down with a little bit of vineager to cure the mold, or open it up and let it dry out to take care of the mold, then re-season.

honestly, I wouldn't worry too much, I don't know if the mold can "Evaporate" from the dish you had in there
  • SweetnLowSweetnLow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 28
    Thanks. As anal about my humidors as I am, I'm more afraid of ruining it by messing around with it too much. So, I'll just let it be. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Lasabar:
    ENFIDL:
    it's good to see ya back around Lassie!
    Good to be back... I'm all goosed up on Miller Lite and thought it was worth a stroll through!!!
    I would expect nothing less from you brother!