Home General Discussion

New to the site...and newbie smoker

jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
Hello all. I've tried a few cigars so far and I just found this site and it's the best one I've come across so far (Perdomo, Tarono, A. Fuente, Sosa). I want to join the club, where you get 5 cigars a month, and I can't seem to find how I got there earlier. Can anyone help? Has anyone joined the club and if so what do you have to say about it?

EDIT: Ok. I found how to join the club. Now I just would like some feedback from anyone who has joined the club and what they have to say about it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Welcome to your new moneypit! and buy a large humidor, you wont regret it.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Welcome! COTMC is awesome. I always look forward to what is gonna show up and have yet to be disappointed
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Welcome to the forum! I believe everyone's opinion on the COTM club is positive and a great way to discover new cigars. There's a ton of great info. all through this forum, you've found the right place.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Welcome all my friends
    to the show that never ends,
    we're so glad you could attend,
    come inside, come inside.

• jfacianejfaciane Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 242
    roland_7707:
    Welcome to your new moneypit! and buy a large humidor, you wont regret it.

My mother-in-law bought me a small (50 cigars) humidor for my birthday in Februaury and I'm having trouble keeping the humidity/temp stable. It'll go from 64-75% humidity and the temp also fluctuates. Are there any recommendations as to where to place it? How about the temp in my house? Keep the A/C on or what? I bought a digital hygromoter and did the salt test. I keep a shot glass of distilled water and a humidifier (50/50 propylene glycol in gel) in the humidor to no avail.
    EDIT: heres the humidor I have: http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_small-humidors_HUM-25EL.html
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Welcome to the best forums on the World Wide InterWeb, cigar or otherwise! Great bunch of guys here, and tons of good info on just about any subject you can think of when it comes to stogies. If you cant find it yourself, just ask - always a dozen or two guys here willing to chime in & help.

As for the Cigar of the Month club, I had it for a year and I think its an EXCELLENT idea for someone new to the hobby. Figure its one cigar a week, plus one for a "special occasion" every month! Thats how I did it anyway. Great way to try a bunch of different stuff (no cigar was repeated a single time during the year I had it) and a great way to figure out your likes & dislikes.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Welcome to the forum. Did you season it? Look into beads also. All kinds of good advice here in some past posts too. And you will need a larger humidor. Good luck
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    COTMC is great... Hands down the best starter monthly out there...
    The3Stogies:
    Welcome to the forum. Did you season it? Look into beads also. All kinds of good advice here in some past posts too. And you will need a larger humidor. Good luck
    Yeah, I seasoned it, I think? I used distilled water and wiped it down on the inside a few times and let it sit for a few days with a shot glass of distilled water in it too. Had it with the water and the 50/50 prop glycol mix in there too. I guess I did it right, not sure. But it gets hot here in FL man, and when we leave for the day, I turn the A/C off (prob not too good huh?). Oh, well I guess, I'll keep messing with it till I get it right.
  • willso7willso7 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 156
    welcome abord .
    Thanks everyone for the welcomes! Also, I just ordered the CCOTM and can't wait to get my new cigars in!!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Send some of that FL heat up here brother. Don't want the humi over 75 degrees max. Turn the AC up if you have to, because it will take also humidity out of the air, then adjust when you get home. The humi will settle down after awhile. Might want to check out the beads, they will maintain humidity by absorbing or releasing moisture as needed. I used 2 times the recomended amount in mine so the humidity will come back quickly after opening. Search coolidors too. Good luck
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Welcome aboard man!