Home General Discussion

Have many of you requested dud replacements?

ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
I just tried to smoke a Pinar del Rio Seleccion Reserva from a sampler I picked up a few weeks ago. I was skeptical before I even began because of how moist and squishy it felt. In retrospect, I probably should have dry boxed it. But it's in with all my other sticks, all of which are burning great. At any rate, I could only get about an inch of burn out of it. It was like trying to smoke a wet towel. It's a shame, because it was one of the more unique tasting cigars I've had in some time. It was showing a great smooth, creamy cocoa finish.

I can't decide if I should ask for a replacement for just a single...

Comments

• Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I've never done it, nor would I. Especially if it felt wrong at the outset - I would've given it more time to nap, and tried dry boxing it.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I've only requested replacements for sticks that had construction issues like cracks or in one case holes.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Never had too. And I never would, unless I ordered them online and they had some major obvious issue when I opened the package. Broken, unraveled, for example.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    rwheelwright:
    I've only requested replacements for sticks that had construction issues like cracks or in one case holes.
    +1 and only moments after opening the box discovering it.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    maybe on an expensive stick but not on a budget stick like a PDR. the postage would cost more than the stick
  • MrGreenMachineMrGreenMachine Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    I would mention it the next time you place an order. Like an "oh yeah, i had this Pinar del Rio and ..." .
    CCOM's customer service is pretty good and they'll probably comp you a new stick..
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    With Ccom only had to do it twice and it was for sticks that had issues when I opened the shipping box, never the box but bundled and they sent me replacements each time. Smoke issues imo are part of the hobby but construction issue before smoking is another thing. Each time ccom told me to hold those and sent replacements...good customer service.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    CCom has replaced sticks for me before. Got some Liga Privada stuff that had just been shipped with a bunch of infused sticks, and they STUNK. Emailed Tim, and he sent me a shipping label and replacement sticks. Great service.
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    I probably would only if there were cracks, and if it was a high-end'er. I remember a few months ago when i went into a local B&M and bought a Padron 26 Anniversary, the guy grabs one out of the case and puts it on the counter and theres a good half inch slice on the wrapper. I said "Could I get a different one please?" and he just gives me this "sigh" look and swaps it with a flawless. I dont know if he thought i was just a high-roller who wanted to spend bling and didnt have a clue of what i was doing, but i will always..and i do mean always...demand a perfectly constructed stick when we're talking Padron/VSG/etc..

As for sub-10 dollar sticks, i'm a reasonable guy..I wont make ccom or the sister jump through hoops over something minor.
  • Bishop88Bishop88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 13

+1  for CCOM customer service..

I placed a fairly large order about two months ago..and shipping to Iraq is sometimes sketchy.  Everything arrived fine except a 15-ct cigar caddy...near indestructible but arrived with a broken clasp.  1 of the 3 Camacho PE's was slightly marred as well.  One phone call later, cigar caddy replaced free of charge along with another 3 pack of the Camacho PE's, and given my location they said don't worry about shipping the broken stuff back.  That's when I stopped "shopping around" for cigars and started buying from here exclusively...

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    ndhaon91:
    I just tried to smoke a Pinar del Rio Seleccion Reserva from a sampler I picked up a few weeks ago. I was skeptical before I even began because of how moist and squishy it felt.
    I buy alot of samplers and when they come I inspect them pretty carefully, including squezing a little. In that "squishy" case I may have placed it on the tray in the humi to get more circulation and see what happens after a month or so. How did the others in the sampler feel?

• kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    rwheelwright:

+1 I think only once did I have an issue and the Reposado's that were shipped looked like box pressed salomans .... just called and they said they would send out replacements with my next order.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I'd only do it if the sticks were damaged in the mail. Operator-error doesn't sound like something Ccom should be footing the bill for
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    Copy of the C.com satisfaction guarantee. "We are serious about cigars. We are dedicated to earning your trust and loyalty every day. Your 100% satisfaction is our mission. Should you ever have a less than satisfactory experience, we will replace or refund your purchase unconditionally. Rest assured, you are in good hands at Cigar.com. We guarantee it!"
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    The3Stogies:
    ndhaon91:
    I just tried to smoke a Pinar del Rio Seleccion Reserva from a sampler I picked up a few weeks ago. I was skeptical before I even began because of how moist and squishy it felt.

I buy alot of samplers and when they come I inspect them pretty carefully, including squezing a little. In that "squishy" case I may have placed it on the tray in the humi to get more circulation and see what happens after a month or so. How did the others in the sampler feel?

Everything else in the sampler looked and smoked just fine. They've all been kept together. But the PDR actually looked like it had been exposed to water. The wrapper was mottled in places, the band was smudged, and the cap actually peeled off without being cut.

I won't have ccom send me just a single stick, but I might request they throw one in with my next order. I'm less concerned about losing a few dollars than I am about the fact that it seemed like an outstanding smoke and I really want to try it.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    If the cigar looked that bad I would have definitely taken a picture. Ccom has an enormous inventory and things like this can slip through the cracks without them knowing so sometimes our feedback is the only way they discover certain things.

I agree with what others have said, if you have a squishy cigar than next time I'd choose to let it rest longer, but if its band is smudged and the cap fell off then I'd let Ccom know. In my opinion that's worth a comment.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    yeah just mention it on your next order and they probably would replace it. But on the other hand if you recognized it needed dry boxinfg before you lit up...I wouldn't request a replacement.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    If stuff is damaged in shipping I will request a replacement. If I'm short shipped, which has happened a few times, I will as well. One time I had a box of Cain Fs that flat out exploded. They sat in a cooler at 65 rh for 6 months, and when I took them out every one of them was in tatters. That was a construction issue, so I contacted for a replacement. I think I actually sent the box back so they could see it, and just got a refund there. So I'll do it, if it's merited. For plugs and improperly bunched sticks though I just accept those as the price of the hobby. If I wanted to save money I wouldn't be smoking cigars in the first place.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    They've replaced a few for me. In each case, I felt it was something that was wrong with the cigar from the outset, rolled too tight, hollow spot down the middle, wrapper fell off when I took it out of the cellophane, which I almost always do as soon as they arrive. I've also had a few that I felt were just my fault, and so I didn't ask for replacement. They stand behind their guarantee, and probably expect an occasional problem. Hand rolled cigars being a human endeavor, inevitably there will be mistakes.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I have not ... yet. I would only go down that road if I received damaged wrappers or damaged cigars after opening a box.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I've only had to request a replacement once. That was because UPS damaged the package (box looked like it was use as a soccer ball) and my CAO Americas were unraveling. Kelly squared me away immediately after I called. She told me to keep the damaged ones and I got replacements.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I have actually just done this...I bought 15 Tat Blacks (non tubo, cello) that have had nothing but wrapper problems from day 1....I really wanna like this stick so I went through 6 of them hoping some time in the humi would correct the issue but no go...they will be on their way back tomorrow, no issue with the return on ccoms end of course...
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    If it were any other company, I would say "don't bother." But Ccom prides themselves on their great customer service. They get some sort of enjoyment out of making their customers happy. Freaky.

The suggestion of mentioning it on your next order would probably be the best route to go. easier for them to sneak a replacement in with the order.