Home General Discussion

Texas Play by Play

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
Boarding a flight in the morning for Texas. I am meeting AJ Fernandez in Dallas along with his partner Kris. The three of us plus two other folks I work with are headed out from there on a weekend hunting trip. Two days hunting exotics (axis deer and fallow deer) and 3 nights calling in predators (bobcats, fox and coyote). Should be lots of cigars, lots of booze and of course lots of fun. AJ is not a hunter but wanted to come to watch but any time I have ever taken anyone with me who said "they did not want to hunt but observe" has always ended up picking up a gun before the end of the trip and shooting something. usually after that they become total hunting junkies like myself LOL. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted of the happenings along the way much the same way I do when I am in Nicaragua. I will have another one of these to post next weekend also as I just got an invite from Nestor Plasencia to head down to Nicaragua next weekend to fish Rio San Juan for the weekend. I was going to be in Nicaragua on that monday so it was a great offer to head down a few days early to drink beers, smoke cigars and cast the line out some. I am meeting him in Managua and we are flying his sesna to Rio San Juan. Should be an action packed 2 weeks for me. Anyway, for now, check back here for texas updates.

Comments

• bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    If you are trying to make us a tad jeolous....great strategy, as it is working :) thanks for the great closing march madness deal also, going out with a bang
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    If you want to check out the best cigar shop/bar in Texas hit me up in a pm Alex. My local place is great. Great selection in their humidor and pretty good drink prices!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    so kris is a hunter?
    awesome

he was such a nice guy when i met him, and he keeps getting cooler in my mind. he is good people.

• Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    kuzi16:
    so kris is a hunter?
    awesome

he was such a nice guy when i met him, and he keeps getting cooler in my mind. he is good people.

Actually Kris isnt a hunter either and he may be the exception to my streak of observers converting to hunters. The other two guys though are hunting nuts though so it should make for an exciting time. Got up at 5am to drive to the airport. Only 4 hours of sleep so I am a zombie at the moment.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    sounds like fun :)
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Beer, Cigars, and Guns...all that's missing is the strippers
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    It's a tough job, but it's gotta be done.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Lifestyles of the Cigar Famous! .!Can I film your adventures?
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Have fun in my hometown.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Just got back to Dallas. Trip was awesome but there wasnt internet access at all and not even decent phone service so I was not able to update the thread each day. Seems to be a problem with me when I try to do these from Nicaragua and I guess parts of the US. Anyway, trip kicked major ass. We arrived Friday and everyone met at the airport. It was 3 hour drive to camp and we arrived with 2 hours of light left which was just enough time to sight in tthe rifles and put some lead down range in advance of the first hunt. Immediately upon arrival, AJ hooked everyone up with a bundle of 30 cigars, 2 each of 15 brands all in a 5 x 42 corona size. There were three new experimental blends in there also, one of which was fantastic! That night we went out trying to call for predator. It was windy so we were not optomistic. We split up into two groups, I went with AJ and the other guys took a different truck. In our first set up we called in a fox and a bob cat. I missed the fox but got the cat and while it is small, makes a great trophy. Being so productive right out of the gate got the blood pumping but as it turned out, we never saw anything else the whole night. We went out again for predator saturday night and only saw some racoons so the predator hunting was kind of a bust.

AJ is not a hunter but had a great time watching and riding along. He grew up in the country in cuba and always refers to himself as a guijero (country boy). One thing I did learn was that in cuba, to help his family make ends meet he would butcher mean and slaughter pigs and cattle. We hunted saturday and sunday all day and the group did well. I shot a white fallow deer male and a black buck doe. The other guys each took a male axis deer and one took a black buck male and the other an oryx female with a nice set of horns. i will post pictures. What was awesome was seeing AJ really come alive when we got back to the skinning shed. He may not be a hunter but boy he could skin a deer. We handed him the knife and he made short work of trophies and before we knew it we had loin steaks from every animal. When we got back to the house he prepared them into churascos and grilled them for the group. It was brilliant.

Closing door to plane. Will finish the rest of the recap once we are airborne the in-flight wireless gets turned on. Standby.
  • MperconteMperconte Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Really Nice Alex, Thanks for sharing!! I look forward to the pictures...
    Okay Im back. All in all, great time. With the lack of success on predator, we decided to go on a boar hunt the last time which was amazing. Cant wait to head back to Texas this fall for deer season. On a cigar related note,. lots of interesting things happening. Might be another corona size sampler coming soon and the Ruination may see a corona size addition ongoing. I also got to smoke the first iteration of the San Lotano Limitado which will debut later this summer at the tradeshow and will ship to stores in the fall. Great cigar. AJ says itt is a work in progress but I thought it was solid as is. He is somewhat of a perfectionist. The shape is very cool also but I am not allowed to discuss until the apply for a patent but it smoked very nice. AJ flies back to Nicaragua today and I am on my way back to chicago. He is in Cuba this week and then back in Nicaragua next week.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Alex Svenson:
    ...and the Ruination may see a corona size addition....
    yes yes yes.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    Alex Svenson:
    I also got to smoke the first iteration of the San Lotano Limitado which will debut later this summer at the tradeshow and will ship to stores in the fall. Great cigar.

Pretty excited about this, as all three San Lotano lines are solid sticks!

• xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing.. And as always, I can't wait to get my hands on the next AJ blend. The Puro Authentico is excellent.