Home General Discussion

ROTT

rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
So I know we all enjoy aging cigars, but part of me thinks a good stick shouldn't take 6-12 months to be enjoyable.
I do think a rest of a few weeks is needed after sticks going in the mail, and maybe a box or two to age, but what sticks do you think are just great after the two week rest window.
Don't get me wrong I love aging a good cigar and seeing it change, but for people with limited budget aging just takes to long. I wanna smoke next week not next year.
What do you BOTL say to that.

Comments

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    here is my take, WHy do we worry about what a Stick Taste like right off the truck? Hiw many of us think nothing of walking ionto our Local B&M and Picking out a Stick and Sitting down with the Guys and Firing that Bad boy right up..... we really have no idea when that Stick was put in the Humidor, how old it is, where it came from (distributor wise) and if they are truly properly being taken care of.
    The Humi packs sometimes maybe over Humidfy a stick in transit so that might make us rest them a bit more, and yes some Cigars definatley are better with some time, I recently picked out a Cain F that i have had for over a year and fired it up..... I love this cigar but With a Year on it IT IS LIKE WAY BETTER! AMAZING....
    I guess another thing is all the trades and bombs we do and introducing Cigars from other peoples humis etc into our own might be like a shocker, I know i have recieved some not so well kept cigars, and i have probably passed along a few that i just never liked. Sooooooo I dont Buy into that ROTT debate i guess, Ill go to My B&M today and pick out an LFD Like I do every thursday and sit down with the other guys watch some Golf or True Tv, shoot the Bull and have a Good Time. Enjoy the Day
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    I usually give sticks about 2-4 weeks rest before smoking. If I want to smoke one right away, I usually go to a B&M and light one up right there. I've noticed with some of te sticks I smoked ROTT I've had burn issues a majority of the time...sometimes flavor too.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I agree. Oddly enough though I went a little wild and purchased so many cigars that they kinda age just due to volume.
    I can't smoke them fast enough.

I agree though I shouldn't have to wait for a cigar to be good. I think sometimes manufactures have such a high demand for product that they may rush out a specific line rather than take their time with it.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    stephen_hannibal:
    I agree. Oddly enough though I went a little wild and purchased so many cigars that they kinda age just due to volume.
    I can't smoke them fast enough.

I agree though I shouldn't have to wait for a cigar to be good. I think sometimes manufactures have such a high demand for product that they may rush out a specific line rather than take their time with it.

This is exactly my opinion and scenario. Most of my cigars have 1-2 years on them now, but that is due to me buying like crazy for a little while there. I generally judge a cigar on how it performs pretty much as soon as I buy it.

And to answer your question, here are some of the cigars I think are phenomenal straight from the B&M:

Alec Bradley Tempus
    Alec Bradley Prensado
    Any Illusione
    Most Tatuajes
    RP Decade (I've heard they changed factories though, and aren't nearly as good anymore)

And for some cheaper sticks that are awesome with just a little rest, check out the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte or the Tatuaje Series P.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I thought the MOW Puro was great ROTT. In fact, it is the first cigar, that I can remember, I have ever smoked ROTT.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    most non-cuban cigars are designed to be smoked right off the truck. almost all manufacturers have an aging room or two where they keep cigars that have just been rolled until they are good to go.

any additional age is up to you.

• JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    This is something where my noob-ness and ignorance saves me. I get cigars, I put them in my humidor and I smoke them whenever I get around to it. Sometimes it's that day, sometimes it's a month later. Through the process of trading I might have some that have some age on them. I also have a decent amount of sticks already and I know some will be aged for a year or more due to sheer volume.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't think about it, I just smoke them as they are, and the age of the stick comes as a by-product.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Some cigars just don't taste good to me until they've got a certain amount of time on them. I keep a small desktop, 50-75 count, that is for aging. Opus, Anejo, Padron Anniversary, My Father, and anything else that I generally consider an aging potential cigar. I rarely open it, and usually just to switch out the Boveda packs.

Then I have my coolers. One for boxes, one to smoke out of, and one for trade stuff. Like most of the other guys, a lot of this stuff gets age just because of the volume. I guess it's not a big deal to me either way. Lot's of cigars taste fine ROTT, so I smoke those while the others wait.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I don't really get too concerned about age unless I know it's something that needs some time on it to enjoy maximum goodness. Otherwise, I just kinda go for whatever I'm in the mood for at that particular time. I guess what I'm sayin is ROTT, 6 months, 2 years, it's pretty much not gonna sway my choice/opinion one way or the other.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    This question is really not relivent. I mean we all like to put some age on our sticks. However if (in my case) I wanted to smoke no cigar before it had say a year on it... then I am going to need at least a year supply of cigars to smoke while that stick ages for a year.
    Now take that situation and follow if forward a little. In my case if I only wanted to smoke aged sticks then I would have to have at least twice as many sticks on hand as I do now. If I were to buy two of everything, everytime I buy something and then put one of them away for aging then my costs for smoking would double, at least in the first year. Of course I would have to continue this (buy a replacement stick each time I lit an aged one) or at the end of the second year I would have smoked all of my aged sticks from year one and would have to start the whole thing all over again.
    Like everyone else I like to smoke a stick with some age on it. But until I am rich enough to own my own walk-in Humi and be able to fill it with fav's, then smoking only aged sticks is just not feasible.
    On another note. We all know that ANY stick regardless of cost and rep. can be a bum stick. Imagine waiting a year or more for a stick which you are just dying to spark up, and when you do... DUD!! Yeah, that was worth waiting for wasn't it? LMAO
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    I was more meaning what sticks are great ROTT.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    rossdavey2:
    I was more meaning what sticks are great ROTT.
    CCOM Sun Grown was for me
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    JCizzle:
    This is something where my noob-ness and ignorance saves me. I get cigars, I put them in my humidor and I smoke them whenever I get around to it. Sometimes it's that day, sometimes it's a month later. Through the process of trading I might have some that have some age on them. I also have a decent amount of sticks already and I know some will be aged for a year or more due to sheer volume.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: I don't think about it, I just smoke them as they are, and the age of the stick comes as a by-product.
    This is exactly my process as well, and I've been smoking for a while. Cigars are about relaxing for me, and I don't want that to change. So for me, I get excited when the mail comes with new sticks so, why the heck wouldn't I fire one up right then? I'm not gonna sweat the small stuff. So pretty much anything I order I try to smoke one of everything within a week or two. Partly becuase I'm anxious if its a stick I've never had, and partly becuase i'm not wasting space on a stick I don't like. And I know if I don't like it ROTT then I won't like it with a year on it.

So to answer your question, every cigar i've ever enjoyed, I liked just fine ROTT.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Found that 5-Vegas Classic, Cask II, MOW & MOW Ruination are good ROTT. I'm a noobie and have some cigars aging but most of what I've been smoking is not aged at all. I'm begining to discover that I just enjoy each one as I smoke it for what it is. Like cooking prime-rib or a fine steak; it's all good while not all exactly the same, just enjoy it.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I tend to agree with you Ross...but I have so many cigars I end up aging them because I just don't have time to smoke them all, not to mention I can't seem to stop buying more! But the only cigars I seem to age is my Padron Family Reserve 45s...because I only smoke 2 of those a year.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002.... great ROTT, after 2weeks, after 3 months, after 1-2 years, etc, etc.....

I've never had a burn or taste issue with these cigars... not a mindblowing cigar, by any means, but a great $2 smoke.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Stuff I like ROTT are the new MoW Puros. Almost anything Avo is great ROTT, and likely anything from the Tabadom factory from what I understand. I liked the Diesel Unlimited ROTT too. Sancho Panza do well too. That's all I can think of at the moment.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    lilwing88:
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002.... great ROTT, after 2weeks, after 3 months, after 1-2 years, etc, etc.....

I've never had a burn or taste issue with these cigars... not a mindblowing cigar, by any means, but a great $2 smoke.
    Yeah, that one too, as long as we're talking the Robusto, and not the asbestos Churchill.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    The3Stogies:
    Found that 5-Vegas Classic, Cask II, MOW & MOW Ruination are good ROTT. I'm a noobie and have some cigars aging but most of what I've been smoking is not aged at all. I'm begining to discover that I just enjoy each one as I smoke it for what it is. Like cooking prime-rib or a fine steak; it's all good while not all exactly the same, just enjoy it.
    5 Vegas CSII is definitely by far my favorite ROTT.

• camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Most sticks that I have received from ccom were great ROTT. I would agree that time does a cigar good. I have noticed that many non-Cuban cigars are made with well aged tobacco...sometimes as much as 5, 10 or more years. I think this makes the cigars ready-to-smoke when you get them. Most of my cigar collection is Cuban, and they do not age their tobacco beyond the fermentation time, with the exception of recent LTD Edicion cigars. For this reason, aging the cigars is important. For the most part, I tend to purchase cigars that already have age on them. Many of my ISOM sticks now have 3, 4, 7, 9 and even 10 years of age and are smoking fantastic!

I really think it's up to the individual, and how much space/budget you have for your sticks. The more you have, the more age they will have on them by the time you get arround to smoking them.