Home General Discussion

What cigar got you interested in brand X?

xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
Which cigar turned you guys onto different manufacturers/blends? That cigar you smoked and said "Hey, that's pretty good; I wonder what the other cigars in the line taste like?"

For me, Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur got me into cigars, the Padron 4000 Maduro turned me onto the Padron line and the MOW Virtue got me interested in AJ Fernandez, MOW Armada got me into Maduro's, and AVO No. 9 Maduro got me into AVO

Comments

• AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    For me it was the 5 Vegas Miami in the knuckle size.....prior to that, never had a DPG stick. I was in love with that stick....made me purchase the DPG samplers. Thumbs up to Don Pepin Garcia
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Padron 2000 Maduro got me into Padron. MoW Virtue and Ruination made me fall in love with AJ. Gurkha Black Dragon and Centurian turned me on to Gurkha. Padilla Miami and Dominus? Mmmm....Padilla.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    AQUADGIO1200:
    For me it was the 5 Vegas Miami in the knuckle size.....prior to that, never had a DPG stick. I was in love with that stick....made me purchase the DPG samplers. Thumbs up to Don Pepin Garcia
    Same here...

• The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I picked up an AVO 787 at a B&M and was blown away by it. Have been an AVO fan ever since, particularly of the 787, Maduro, and XO.

• ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    stephen_hannibal:
    AQUADGIO1200:
    Same here...

oh boy...+2
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    5 Vegas Classic got me to stock most of the line at all times.
    SCCC got me interested in AJ Fernandez and the rest is history.
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002 got me interest in most of that line.

As for higher end sticks, I still like to play pickie choosie with them as I like variety. I try and not buy too many of the same cigar because I don't want to get bored with it and kind of treat them like a reward for an accomplishment, big night out, vacation, etc.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Ruination got me into AJs stuff, Airbender got me into LFD.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Hmm. I think my progression went something like this.

Sancho Panza got me into cigars.
    RP Connecticut got me into RP, which I don't smoke anymore.
    1990 got me into maduros.
    Edge Maduro got me into full bodied smokes.
    Ruination got me into full bodied habanos.
    Professionale got me into Graycliff.
    Camacho Trip Maduro got me interested in Camacho
    LE 10 got me onto Avo
    Opus got me onto Fuente
    Dark Corojo got me into JDN.
    Airbender got me into LFD.
    Zino Platinum got me interested in Zino, and based on that and the Avo stuff, the Tabadom factory.
    Bought some Millenniums on the strength of that, and loved 'em. Now I'm starting to explore Davidoff, tentatively.

From the start of that list to the end is about 3-4 years, and it may not be in perfect order, but that's the general gist of it. There's a bunch of other brands I've tried, but I only listed what were for me, the game changers.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    RyJ made me fall in love with cigars.

Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet made me fall in love with AJ.

Original Blue made me fall in love with DPG.

The Forum Blend made me fall in love with Alex.

I'm a lovey kinda guy.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    ljl:
    stephen_hannibal:
    AQUADGIO1200:
    Same here...

oh boy...+2
    +3 as far as DPG goes.

As far as cigars in general, the first cigars I ever smoked that really made me notice how awesome cigar smoking is were the Acid Kuba Kuba and a Carlos Torano Exodus Gold. Then the list is something like this:

R&J Reserve Maduro got me into Maduros
    Pryme got me into Alec Bradley
    Oliva G Maduro turned me on to Oliva
    5 Vegas Miami and Tatuaje Miami got me turned on to DPG and the 5 Vegas lines and Tatuaje lins

Pretty much everything else has come from the boards, whether due to reading something about a new (to me) stick and picking up a few to try or from passes/bombs/trades.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Cool thread, Well chewing Redman made me realize that I love tobacco which started the train rolling about 7 ish years ago.

Then I had a regular line Fuente in the cameroon and realized that cigars we're pretty good and I bought a box of the Curly head deluxe maduros, and enjoyed those quite a bit and expored the rest of the affordable and semi affordable fuentes. still haven't tried any of their high end stuff.
    Partagas Black got me into Partagas.
    Padron Maduro Palmas (I think that was the size) got me into Padrons, becuase it knocked me on my a$$.
    Gurkha Masters Select Perfectos got me intrested in the smaller brands of cigars and especially gurkha
    DPG blue got me into DPG stuff and the Blue is still probably my #1 smoke right now.
    For me, Diesel UHC = AJ Fernandez. for my tastes its his best.

I've had alot of other good cigars over the years, but these are the ones that stick out for me.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    wwhwang:
    Padron 2000 Maduro got me into Padron. MoW Virtue and Ruination made me fall in love with AJ. Gurkha Black Dragon and Centurian turned me on to Gurkha. Padilla Miami and Dominus? Mmmm....Padilla.
    Pretty much the same here only add the Miami Knuckle for all things DPG and switch the Padilla Miami for the 1932, I would have to say the JDN Dark Corojo and the Classico got me completely into all things Drew Estates including the ACID and LP lines, still need to smoke the La Veija Habana or something that's aging away.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    For me it was the Camacho Triple Maduro during the black band project that got me interested in Camachos.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    There are a few I can think of off hand.

DPG Cuban Classic got me hooked on Pepin's smokes.

This lead me to want to try the Tatuaje line since they are made by Pepin, and the Havana VI was the first one I tried. Was hooked instantly!

The Zino Classic was my first venture into the Davidoff/Zino/AVO/Paul Garmirian cigars and I have come to enjoy every single one of these lines I've tried. I actually need to get a few AVO and a few of the PG's on hand in my humidor!
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    Great thread!

RyJ isom I had while in Afghanistan is what got me in to cigars in general. Oliva Serie O maduro is what kept me interested enough to join this forum. And from there I haven't even slowed down!

DPG JJ natural as well as the 5 Vegas Miami knuckle got me REALLY in to Pepin's stuff for a while.
    Oliva MB III got me hooked on maduro wrappers and started me on the path of the super premiums.

Man O' War Ruination is what really started my intense interest in this hobby though. When I smoked my first one it was like a fog was lifted. I was so blown away by that cigar, and it changed my perceptions of my entire day with just a few puffs of smoke. From that point on I was sold on cigars being a lifestyle!
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Was just random selection for me. Used to live right close to the Tampa humidor one of the biggest and best BnMs IMO. Walked in one day knowing nothing about cigars. Randomly plucked an Oliva G maduro off the shelf. Tried a bunch of Olivas after that.

Did pretty much the same thing for about a year and a half. CAO, DPG, Perdomo, EO etc. Just randomly pluckin different stuff off the shelf.
    Then I started reading online and all that.
  • dan8052dan8052 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    Alright, before you judge, keep reading... The Java Latta Maduro is what made me say good-bye to SwisherSweets and Black & Milds forever. After smoking ACID's (Kuba Kuba & Opulence 3 were my favorites) for about 3-4 years I bought an AJ sampler off the Daily Deal. The MOW Ruination, 5 Vegas AAA, Diesel Unholy... they all rock! Now when I try any ACID cigar I feel sick after smoking it. Now I buy what ever looks good and sounds good from what I read from others on this website. Thanks everone for helping me expand my horizons.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    dan8052:
    Alright, before you judge, keep reading... The Java Latta Maduro is what made me say good-bye to SwisherSweets and Black & Milds forever. After smoking ACID's (Kuba Kuba & Opulence 3 were my favorites) for about 3-4 years I bought an AJ sampler off the Daily Deal. The MOW Ruination, 5 Vegas AAA, Diesel Unholy... they all rock! Now when I try any ACID cigar I feel sick after smoking it. Now I buy what ever looks good and sounds good from what I read from others on this website. Thanks everone for helping me expand my horizons.
    I did something similar where I started with swisher but to my credit, I was 16. Then went on to CAO flavors and random picks from the local B&M. Never once went the Acid route as I got out of the flavored cigars pretty fast. It's interesting to hear how others started this great hobby
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    El Cobre got me into cigars in general. (still my #1favorite ever)
    Diesel for AJ.
    Oliveros 1927 for Oliveros.
    Doble Maduro for Gurkha
    Habano for Padilla
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Fighting C.ock got me into handmades (that's right, I said it lol)
    RP Fusion got me into decent handmades
    Monstesino's got me into maduros
    A. Fernandez signature series got me into all things AJ
    5Vegas Miami got me into Pepin (although I have yet to explore a whole lot of his stuff)
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    Walked into my local B+M said I didn't know anything. Told them what I like to drink and really started on some heavier stuff. Nothing mild really. The one that got me hooked was an illusion 88. Then Tat stuff. Ordered the Aj dirty dozen when I moved to far from the B+M. That got me on MoW, Diesel, and what not.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Duder2:
    Diesel for AJ.
    Oliveros 1927 for Oliveros.
    Doble Maduro for Gurkha
    Habano for Padilla
    El Cobre is an awesome cigar, I have a couple of those left with over a year on them now. I need to re-up on those.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Sancho Panza Double Maduro Got me into cigars.
    Punch Gran Puro got me into Honduran cigars.
    Avo Domaine got me into Kelner blends.
    LFD airbender got me into Litto Gomez blends.
    Camacho SLR Maduro got me into Camacho.
    Duder2:
    i have two or three of these in my aging humidor with almost 5 years of age on them. when the weather gets warmer ill dig one out.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    5 Vegas Classic sold me on the 5 Vegas line. I hadn't had a cigar in about a year and a half when I had one of these. I ordered a humidor combo that was the 5 Vegas humi and 30 sticks and the first one I had was the classic. Love that stick!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I got a Padilla 1932 in a gift sampler for Christmas two years ago. That got me started on the Padilla line and I haven't found one yet that I didn't like.

I missed yesterday's DD and didn't see it until I got home from school at 9:30 PM. I thnk my neighbors heard me scream.