Home General Discussion

Favorite cigar profile

medic_xmedic_x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
I was just wondering what everyone's favorite cigar profile is? what flavors do you prefer...like nutty, sweet, spicy, pepper etc.....and what cigars do you feel best represents that profile...i thought this might help us newbs find some common ground with members who share our tastes and maybe help us find a few sticks that best match our own tastes...thanks.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I like this topic. The "favorite cigar, brand, etc" topic has been beaten to death but I don't think I've seen this one before.That said ...

I find it funny how tastes and perferences evolve. 5 years ago I wanted to try everything, all the different flavors were cool to me I didn't have a "profile".
    3 years ago I was all about dark chocolate maduros. CAO Mx-2 and the Ccom Red label being two that stood out.
    2 years ago I had a very distinct profile and wanted pretty much only cigars that met that profile. That profile spicy, cedary and earthy. Perfect example of this would be a Joya de Nicargua Antano.
    Now I'm somewhere between those. I'm back to trying new profiles but I still like a spiciness.
    Sorry I hi-jacked this a bit.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Great thread!!!

I enjoy a variety of flavors and try to match them to the situation or my mood at the time. The flavor I really like a lot is a nice, tolerable pepper spice up front with a sweetness on the finish. MOW Ruination fills the bill for me more times than not.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I started out liking regular tobacco profile. Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, La Gloria Cubana, etc. They're all very good smokes, and I was pleased to smoke them. But once I smoked a Cubao, I was blown away by the spice. I had never smoked anything like it, and these days my old standards just don't pass muster (except for the occasional bout with nostalgia). So overall, I like some spice and a hint of chocolate.

My favorite line is Padron though - so whatever profile you'd consider Padron, that's the profile I like the best!
  • medic_xmedic_x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
    I also enjoy a sweet profile with a moderate bit of spice to even it out....I like balance between the two...the more different subtle flavors the better... but mainly sweet with some spice as opposed to spice with a touch of sweetness. lately i have really enjoyed the ave maria, mow ruination, black pearl morado, nica libre and perdomo habano maduro as well as the padilla cazedores....the padron 2000 was also good and i have a few resting...please excuse the spelling...lol
  • The HoosThe Hoos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 42
    I am in that stage to where I want to find out and try everything right now, however, I seen to like the Man O' War Ruination robusto profile. I still can’t pick out all the individual flavors yet, but, I think that complexity is why I like them.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I love a nutty, cedar, chocolate, coffee profile. Any of those make me happy.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    So I got my start in tobacco by chewing redman, so I love the taste of tobacco. I really like pretty simple flavors with real heavy earthy leathery smoke with a bit of spice to them but nothing overpowering. I'm definitely a med to full kind of guy. I don't like the knock your socks off all ligero type of cigars, but I do like some power. And even though I've been smoking for 6-8 years I don't have a refined enough palate to understand mild cigars yet. And I'm ok with that. I like the med/full range that I'm at becuase I can still enjoy cigars on either side of my sweet spot as long as they aren't too far in either direction.

My Favorites smokes currently are the DPG Blue, Diesel UHC, La Gloria Cubana Original, DPG Tabacos Baez (with the conny wrapper which is gone now, dangit that one was awesome), Padron Original line in the habano wrapper, and Diesel Unlimited D.x. And I do like the occassional MOW as well.
  • MephistoMephisto Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 508
    Tough question. . .I think I like a spicy and earthy profile best: DPG Serie JJ or Graycliff platinum ed lim, for example, but I tend to enjoy most profiles and love tasting anything new or different.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I love sweetness and spiciness.
    I'm basically down with DPG and AJ.

• gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Depends on my mood. For a habano I like the spicey/sweet contrast, accompanied by either woody like a 601 red or maybe a little coffee like a Padilla habano.

I love a sweet cocaoa like maduro with some spice such as a JJ maduro or an LFD chisel maddy. Or a meaty flavored maddy like a CAO Brazilia.

I also love oak forward cigars like Cubao and MOW original. How about spicey and a lil salty like Mi Barrio or Padilla Miami. What dont I like lol. I could list more but should stop there.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Still can't tell what I'm tasting; if anyone can tell me what a MOW Armada, AVO No. 9, Padron Maduro 4000, Nica Libre, LGC Series N all have in common, it'd be much appreciated
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    jsnake:
    I love a nutty, cedar, chocolate, coffee profile. Any of those make me happy.
    +++++1
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I don't know flavors but I can tell you I'm a huge fan of AJ.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I usually like earth, chocolate, cocoa, and coffee, but I've been known to reach for a spice/pepper bomb once in a while.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Slight spice and earth up front, a little leather and coffee in the middle and a blend of earth and mild chocolate on the finish. Kristoff maduros and Ccom Red labels capture this perfectly imho.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i like sweeter tobacco better than more savory. i like a nuttier tobacco as well. this is one of the reasons why i like honduran tobacco.

i also like a decent musk. this is why i like the kelner blends so much.

the LFDs and the JdNs have a roundness and depth that i like as well.

finding all of those things in one cigar is impossible. i guess thats why i smoke all kinds of cigars.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    i am starting to notice i am enjoying mostly nicaraguan filled cigars these days. the wrapper changes more depending on what im in the mood for. usaually sumatra or habano, and maduro. I mostly smoke full body and i like a spicy flavor, but i dont enjoy heavy pepper flavor
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    I'm still a noob and like just about anything I smoke, but one thing that stands out is the sweet, woody, roasted flavor that a lot of maduros have.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 476
    I really like creamy, earthy flavors. Maybe some coffee flavors. Don't like pepper flavors at all. I like cigars that are smooth above all else.
  • rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    stephen_hannibal:
    I love sweetness and spiciness.

+1
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    stephen_hannibal:

+2. For sure my top 2 blenders right now. Nica tobacco is my fav by far. I like Perdomos maddies and criollo not their corojo. No one does corojo like DPG imo.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    JCizzle:
    I'm still a noob and like just about anything I smoke, but one thing that stands out is the sweet, woody, roasted flavor that a lot of maduros have.

+1