Home General Discussion

Beads in standard humidifiers...

blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
I found a quick & easy way to re-use the large rectangle humidifiers with beads, the ones that come with all the humis ordered here & similar humis. I found out you can open them up without breaking the plastic, just work your way slowly around the bottom edge splitting the glue that holds the 2 pieces together, then take it apart and cut out the green foam. I simply dumped my beads in to fill the bottom piece 3/4 full, then replaced the top piece (with screen still intact) and placed it in my 300 ct diablo. You could re-glue if you want but it snaps together well enough for me. Works great, however I wouldn't turn it upside down unless you put a finer mesh screen in place of the metal one. This works great with my diablo. I place a shotglass in with it every now & then to recharge but usuallly just mist a tiny bit once a week or so. Just something to try to get some use out of all those foam humidifiers you prob have sitting around like I did. I like doing this because it now has a good bit of surface area for the beads, instead of using jars etc.

Comments

• nikostewartnikostewart Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 451
    I did the same thing, works like a charm.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Yup; I do this all the time when I get a new humi
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Works well, but beacuse of the additional weight I had to put x-tra sticky magnets on to hold them up.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I took the gel beads out of my gel jars and then did what you described with my two plastic rectangles in my Diablo. It's worked like a charm ever since. RH has been holding stead between 65-68%.
  • blurrblurr Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 962
    Wow Altoona, you're close
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    blurr:

Seems to be about an hour, hour and a half to you?
  • quix24quix24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 66
    I did the same thing. I bought some mesh to put on the other side of the screen because the beads were cracking and getting on my sticks. Great minds think alike I guess.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I have recently thrown away all my beads and gone to the gel crystals. So far they seem to maintain the rh much better plus my understanding is that they will not grow mold. Of course I was told the same thing about beads and about a month ago opened one of my tubes containing beads to discover mold all inside of it on the beads.
    skweekz:
    blurr:

Seems to be about an hour, hour and a half to you?
    /Yeah I think about hour and a half. Its a small town so you probably have to look it up on a map, lol.
    madurofan:
    I have recently thrown away all my beads and gone to the gel crystals. So far they seem to maintain the rh much better plus my understanding is that they will not grow mold. Of course I was told the same thing about beads and about a month ago opened one of my tubes containing beads to discover mold all inside of it on the beads.
    I used gel crystals before my beads, but the 2 smaller containers I had a noticed they stopped working as well after about a year and a few months. I just figured why pay 30 bucks per year for crystal gels when I can buy beads that last presumably a long time if I take care of them. IDK if it was just my crystal gels or if thats about the lifespan on them. Maybe using propylene/distilled mix every now & then in gels would make it last longer instead of just distilled water.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    my only problem with putting the beads in the humidifier that comes with the humi is that i like to have more beads in there than that thing can hold.