Home General Discussion

Grit!

cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
I've had a couple of cigars that I end up with grit (sand like) in my mouth while smoking. Anyone else experiance!

Comments

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    That may be the fertilizer provided by the horses. lol - just kidding. I honestly can't think of what that is other than maybe small pieces of the filler that are small. Do you use a sharp cutter?
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Are you expirencing the problem with the same brand of sticks or just a few different in general?
    I agree it might be pieces of the stem from the filler.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    undulac:
    That may be the fertilizer provided by the horses. lol - just kidding. I honestly can't think of what that is other than maybe small pieces of the filler that are small. Do you use a sharp cutter?
    It is actually like sand. its not part of the tobaco. Had it happen twice. Nothing on my end could have influinced I go from humi-unwrap-inhale.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    I am new to cigars and I have noticed grit in my cigars as well. Different brands.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Do you use beads? I've noticed they seem to give off a dust/grit like substance.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Russ55:
    Do you use beads? I've noticed they seem to give off a dust/grit like substance.
    What!!!? I don't think the dust that some claim comes from the beads would be gritty. I'm betting he is using a not so sharp cutter and getting bits of tobacco. Is the dust that comes from your beads gritty Russ? If so something must be wrong, or is that what happens when they start to break down?
    laker1963:
    Russ55:
    What!!!? I don't think the dust that some claim comes from the beads would be gritty. I'm betting he is using a not so sharp cutter and getting bits of tobacco. Is the dust that comes from your beads gritty Russ? If so something must be wrong, or is that what happens when they start to break down?
    It's kind of like sand, or table salt. It's more prevalent when I mist the beads with my squirt bottle, but is still there in smaller quantities when I charge them with a dish of water. I used two separate bags with each method as sort of an experiment. I should also say this is with Conservagel beads. Maybe that's why they're cheaper? I don't know.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I use Conservagel and I put the mesh bag on a small piece of plastic wrap. I have noticed in both humidors, a fine white substance on the plastic wrap. Not in any amount to worry about.
    Yeah, it's definitely not a big deal. I was just brainstorming for ideas why the original poster might have grit in his smokes.
    the grit is not a cutting issue or a humi issue its grit that seams to have been rolled up in the cigar during production really "like Sand" . It has been in two diff. cigars I beleave. Just hope its not undeveloped eggs and now I have a "cigar tapeworm" LOL Its not due to anything other than manufacturing I beleave. I've smoke hundreds of sticks so not a real nube just baffled.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    cooch36:
    the grit is not a cutting issue or a humi issue its grit that seams to have been rolled up in the cigar during production really "like Sand" . It has been in two diff. cigars I beleave. Just hope its not undeveloped eggs and now I have a "cigar tapeworm" LOL Its not due to anything other than manufacturing I beleave. I've smoke hundreds of sticks so not a real nube just baffled.

I was going to ask if it was possibly eggs or even the tabaco grains from the beatle or larva eatting away at the stick. Ive had a stick that was sent to me and I noticed a hole from Beatles and smoked it just because it was a waste, when I smoked the stick I noticed grain coming out as well.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Its probably just sand, this stuff is grown outside afterall.
    Goldy:
    Its probably just sand, this stuff is grown outside afterall.
    Thats what I thought, just didn't know if anyone else experianced sand deposits in there cigars. leaf could be drop on floor and picked up who knows.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Too much pectin maybe?
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    lcpleel:
    I was going to ask if it was possibly eggs or even the tabaco grains from the beatle or larva eatting away at the stick. Ive had a stick that was sent to me and I noticed a hole from Beatles and smoked it just because it was a waste, when I smoked the stick I noticed grain coming out as well.

I ask because I don't know but can one "smoke" a beetle? As in, what happens or what harm is there in smoking a stick that is infested?
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    My thought is that you get extra protein!
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I smoked one a couple years back.... and I'm still around. It was kinda funny - I knew the stick had at least one beetle in it due to the couple holes I found, but I figured, what the h3ll? and smoked it anyway. As I smoked it, I watched the hole my punch made and when a beetle showed up I picked it out of there with the tip of my pocket knife blade. Only had two of 'em crawl out... didn't much hurt the rest of the smoke.

Marty

jlmarta:
    I smoked one a couple years back.... and I'm still around. It was kinda funny - I knew the stick had at least one beetle in it due to the couple holes I found, but I figured, what the h3ll? and smoked it anyway. As I smoked it, I watched the hole my punch made and when a beetle showed up I picked it out of there with the tip of my pocket knife blade. Only had two of 'em crawl out... didn't much hurt the rest of the smoke.

Marty

your a freak bro. Lol
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Naw....Ya just gotta have the huevos to handle it....

Marty

• JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Smoke 'em out.
  • R_M_GR_M_G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    jlmarta:

Marty

haha thats weird. commendable, but weird nonetheless.
  • asolomonasolomon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 127
    lcpleel:
    cooch36:

I think it's pretty amazing that the Beatles had such a massive impact on our culture that people are spelling the bugs "beatles" now too. :D