Home General Discussion

601 Question

JimmyCJimmyC Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 38
Why 2 different bands on the 601 Blue Box Press by Peppin Garcia? Is this the same cigar?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I don't know if this is the reason, but EO Brands was bought out by Rocky Patel, so that may be why. Maybe just a band change? I don't really know.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    EO says just a band change to lower cost. Its a shame cause I love the old bands.

I also heard the band will change again cause nobody likes the new one.
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 106
    From what I understand, the 601 is made by EO brands and Pepin Garcia, but EO in the past say, eight months to a year has sold 50% of its business to Rocky Patel.Oh and on this topic, quickly....I heard that the 601 black is being discontinued. So if any of you guys like the black, maybe it would be good to stock up. Otherwise I gotta get some more of these to. The WHOLE line is pretty good, Med-full and full. Green and Red labels are good to!

-Regards and Long Ashes!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Had my first 601 recently, COTM offering, red label. I botched lighting it, so it started a little bitter, but got better for about half an inch, just when I thought I was liking it, it got bitter and stayed that way. Maybe just a bum cigar? If it had stayed in that "better" phase, I would have enjoyed it greatly.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I have a box of 601 green enroute, hopefully it makes it here soon, patiently waiting....
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    Not a fan of the red label, personally. The green is pretty good but the black label is the one that stands out for me. A spicy, med-full cigar wrapped in a Connecticut shade wrapper to give it some creamy notes - very unique.
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    The discontinued REO is my favorite cigar of all time. I bought the last few sticks that cigar.com and my local b&m had. Held on to them for the better part of the year. Alas they are all gone...just faded memories. The 601 blue label is the closest I have come to the REO.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Rob1110:
    Not a fan of the red label, personally. The green is pretty good but the black label is the one that stands out for me. A spicy, med-full cigar wrapped in a Connecticut shade wrapper to give it some creamy notes - very unique.
    +1 and then some! Got a sampler pack to try em all out, and the only winners I found were the black label and my beloved Cuabo's. Everything else (red, blue and green labels) were burn issues and bitterness, followed in the second second third by more burn issues and and bitterness, followed in the final third by...

OK, that would have been a lie - Id tossed them out the window by then. LOL Extremely frustrating cigars, but it could have just been a bum sampler. Sent bigharpoon a sampler at Xmas hoping this was the case since he wanted to try the 601 line, perhaps he will be able to weigh in with his experiences soon.

• nikostewartnikostewart Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 451
    I just picked up the 7 cigar sampler of Cubao and can't wait to try them out, I need to try out the 601s as well
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    The Sniper:
    Rob1110:
    +1 and then some! Got a sampler pack to try em all out, and the only winners I found were the black label and my beloved Cuabo's. Everything else (red, blue and green labels) were burn issues and bitterness, followed in the second second third by more burn issues and and bitterness, followed in the final third by...

OK, that would have been a lie - Id tossed them out the window by then. LOL Extremely frustrating cigars, but it could have just been a bum sampler. Sent bigharpoon a sampler at Xmas hoping this was the case since he wanted to try the 601 line, perhaps he will be able to weigh in with his experiences soon.

I'm taking them out of hibernation and I'll begin firing soon, with reports to follow!
  • ug danug dan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 375
    nikostewart:
    I just picked up the 7 cigar sampler of Cubao and can't wait to try them out, I need to try out the 601s as well
    I really enjoyed the Cubao's. I need to grab some more.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    The Sniper:
    Rob1110:

Thats odd. Ive smoked tons of 601s the past few years. Rarely had a construction/burn issue. I really like most all of Eos cigars.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I smoked the Cubao yesterday and I gotta say, it was great! Very nice flavor with some leather, cream and a subtle sweetness along with a short finish. No spice on the palate but plenty of it on the retro-hale, very Pepinesque. Pepper did come in a few times throughout the smoke giving it a little complexity but remained slight and mostly in the nose which was very pleasant and a little strong. An excellent smooth smoke with a few touch-ups required to get the wrapper going again but it was no big deal. I'll pull out a 601 and fire it up on the way home from work this week, it's blowing about 30 knots right now and I doubt I'll get any more cigars in this weekend.