Home General Discussion

My palate

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
Has anyone had a smoke and detected certain nuances and flavors, and then read a review of that cigar where it makes no mention of such flavors? I'm still pretty new to cigars, so I know my palate is still developing, but what I found interesting was in the second third of the 5 Vegas classic I smoked tonight I was picking up what I could only descibe as a cocoa taste in my mouth. Reading the ccom desciption there's nothing mentioned about that, although I did taste the earthy flavors of the first half. Regardless, I thought it was a good smoke. Burned even, started canoeing slightly but corrected itself. The draw was great with thick smoke, and I didn't get a hot draw till I was down to the nub. Does it sound like my cigar taste buds are still developing, or is it more of a "to each there own" type of thing?

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Ah the beauty of cigars...to each their own! I've been down that same road myself. I actually try not to read any reviews before I have a chance to try a smoke myself so I'm not swayed in any way. As in, I don't wanna have an idea in my head that a certain cigar has a cocoa taste and be thinking about it the whole time. I like to experience it for myself then compare what I tasted/smelled/felt to what someone else might have experienced with that same smoke. Just my two cents!
  • kaelariakaelaria Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 572
    While everyone has different taste - the two things you will learn not to trust are manufacturers and store descriptions. I rarely find them anywhere near accurate for whatever reasons.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    skweekz:
    Ah the beauty of cigars...to each their own! I've been down that same road myself. I actually try not to read any reviews before I have a chance to try a smoke myself so I'm not swayed in any way. As in, I don't wanna have an idea in my head that a certain cigar has a cocoa taste and be thinking about it the whole time. I like to experience it for myself then compare what I tasted/smelled/felt to what someone else might have experienced with that same smoke. Just my two cents!
    +1
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    kaelaria:
    While everyone has different taste - the two things you will learn not to trust are manufacturers and store descriptions. I rarely find them anywhere near accurate for whatever reasons.
    thats why I liked the ccom review that showed up on so many cigars, seems to be lacking now. But I find my taste buds and likes inline to yours Bryan so I use your humidor very often! Ty for all your reviews.
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    cooch36:
    skweekz:
    +1
    bingo!
  • Big ErnBig Ern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 72
    When I first started in this hobby I found myself only wanting acid kuba kubas, tri borough, cao flavours, and pretty much any infused blend you can think of. I loved that sweet taste i craved it. I now find myself shying away from those blends all of a sudden I just didnt want them anymore.The point Im getting at here is that your Palate is a funny thing it wants one thing one day and another thing the next day I truly beleive that it matures. I never for a minute thought I would change from the acid craze,but I did. I think thats the beauty of this hobby there is so many blends and brands to chose from that it will keep your interest and your Palate forever on its toes,So to speak.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    This is one of the many reasons why cigars are such an interesting hobby. It actually makes a good talking point when you are smoking with other people.

I always compare my tasting notes to the manufacturer/store descriptions afterwards. Sometimes they are in line and sometimes it's way different.
  • suneet21suneet21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 52
    I've been smoking 6 years and I think only in the past year or two has my palate gotten to the point where I can notice individual flavors or notes. Also in the past year I've become more of a regular cigar smoker...one or two a week, so that has definitely helped.

For the first 4, 5 years I was more like "i like this cigar" or "i dont like this cigar."

My advice...keep practicing by smoking more cigars haha.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    suneet21:

+1 to that!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    skweekz:
    suneet21:

+1 to that!
    ok... so i know this was said as a half-joke, but the reality of the situation is this is the best advice i ever got from anyone about cigars. the more you smoke them the more you understand them.