Home General Discussion

Free Cigars

james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
I've been having a hard time dealing with humidity and temperature issues for awhile now. (68-72 for each - I think these are fine but it's either spiking at night when I'm asleep or when I'm at work during the day). I live in a great climate in San Diego and I don't know how you do it in other parts of the country with extreme cold and hot temperatures. Anyway, I've been trying to find a good place for my 15 and 100 count humi's. Either it's too cold or too warm. I first thought the glass top 100 count had a bad seal and/or the glass was the problem. So I bought a cigar.com deluxe and the humicare system. Side by side, they have read the same temps/humidity. I've moved them all over the house to find somewhere that would be stable.

This weekend, I moved them downstairs on an end table. I noticed that the humidity was a little low. So I put in a small bowl of distilled water in each humi. My wife decided to neaten up and moved each one without realizing the water was in there. As you can guess, water spilled over everything. Unfortunately, I recently decided to start taking the cello off the sticks to see if they would absorb more humidity. As you can guess, most of my sticks got damaged. I had to toss about 10 sticks out of the 15 and 25 out of the 100 count.

I lit up three different sticks last night to test things out (they were all bitter, on one the band easily slid off). I had just bought a super premium from a new B&M that opened about a mile from my house. Sadly, it was a little damaged but I smoked it anyway just out of spite, haha.

I have about 25 sticks left if anyone wants them and they are free to a good home, just PM your address. They did not suffer water damage but may need some TLC from someone with more experience. If no one wants them, they are going into the trash. I'm not quitting cigars, I'm just not going to keep any in stock at home anymore. It's hard for me to admit that I fail at this, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. But it did feel good this morning not checking the humi's first thing when I woke up.

Comments

• rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    When you say it spikes at night or while you're at work - what kind of spike are you talking about? Does the humidity get into the 80's or down to the 50's? Or does it stay in the 60's and low 70's? Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about a spike as long as it stayed in a reasonable range. I'd also recommend trying to fill up the humidor as much as possible, as that would help stabilize things.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    I have a lb of 70% beads if you want them to try they are yours! I use the Boveda packs and they are awesome, even in MN were the weather sucks!
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Yeah, dude, I completely agree with everyone here suggesting Beads. Never used the Boveda packs so I can't talk about those, but I recently switched over to the 70% beads and their awesome.

Obviously, up on northern california we're more humid than you in San Diego, but definitly give them a shot.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I can send you some beads too if you need them.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Yeah, dude, don't give up! I've had all kinds of trouble with humidity in the past including a couple of bouts with mold. I switched to beads, and while they're not fool-proof, they're pretty easy to deal with. I still get fluctuations, have a hard time keeping it up in the winter sometimes (that's what she said!), but it really isn't so bad. Sometimes I think we baby these little things called cigars a little too much. As long as they're in a decent humidity range without wild fluctuations, they'll ususally do fine.

I refuse to PM you for free sticks because I want you to keep them!! ;-)
  • brizzzinebrizzzine Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    Don't give them away....re-season your humidors, buy some 60% or 65% Heartfelt beads, recharge them regularly, and don't worry so much! You will go crazy if you try to keep it dead on a certain humidity.
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    I couldnt agree more with the brothers on this one...dont give up man. I've only been smoking since August but have learned not to panic or get overly concerned about the humidity unless its extremly low or extremely high..i know for the first few months I had my humi i was checkin that thing constantly during the day, when i woke up, before I went to bed..b/c you want to protect your investment. Got me me some 70% beads a few months back and I love it..no problems. It dips every now and then or may even go over 70 but for the most part it stays where I need it to be. You got guys on here willing to send you some beads..so i think it would be worth a shot and if you need sticks to fill the humi I am sure there is something we can all do for you..right guys?? Who's with me? LOL
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    Beads! Never leave water in a humi, just spray your beads when they need it.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    smoke em if you got em:
    I couldnt agree more with the brothers on this one...dont give up man. I've only been smoking since August but have learned not to panic or get overly concerned about the humidity unless its extremly low or extremely high..i know for the first few months I had my humi i was checkin that thing constantly during the day, when i woke up, before I went to bed..b/c you want to protect your investment. Got me me some 70% beads a few months back and I love it..no problems. It dips every now and then or may even go over 70 but for the most part it stays where I need it to be. You got guys on here willing to send you some beads..so i think it would be worth a shot and if you need sticks to fill the humi I am sure there is something we can all do for you..right guys?? Who's with me? LOL
    I happen to have both
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I've also got beads and Boveda packs and second getting either one of those. The packs require less maintenance, so I prefer them, but both will more than likely solve your problem.
  • tkohlertkohler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    If you're having issues with temps fluctuating, it will result in your humidity fluctuating as well. Beads can help this, but wont *fix* the issue, since they take time to release or absorb moisture. If you can't find a spot in your house that doesn't fluctuate too much, honestly try a coolerdor. The mass amount of insulation on the cooler will help stabilize temperatures, and in result, stabilize your humidity. My cooloerdor fluctuates only about 2 degrees on a normal day, while the room its in fluctuates about 8-10 degrees throughout the day. I have a ~100qt cooler with 1lb of 65% beads. I recon you give it a shot :-)
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    leonard:
    I have a coolerdor and I leave a one litre bottle of distilled water inside all the time. When my beads start to drop off a little I open the bottle for a few days and the beads draw in what they need. This has been working for over two years now and it has been flawless. I NEVER say NEVER, but your point is taken. You do have to have the right set-up and be careful when using water in a container which could spill and get your sticks wet. I would not for instance use an open bowl of water but the bottle trick works great.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 136
    I first started using beads in Aug when it was humid.As fall came and turned into winter it seamed that no matter what I did I could not keep my small 50 ct stable.I was using gel puck I had converted to hold beads.As it turns out it just wasn't enough.I added more beads in a larger pouch and after a few days my humidity level stabilized at 68% and has been no less than 65% since.The beads really are the way to go.You just have to use enough of them.I add water to the puck and let the pouch get it's moisture from there.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Basically, I think the temps are getting too high during the day and too cold during the night, thus causing issues. My humidity readings are pretty consistent between 68-72, which I think is fine. I was checking that thing 4-6 times a day, didn't realize how stressed I was making myself.

You are all right, I shouldn't give up just yet so I'm going to buy 1lb of conservagel beads and get a cooler. I think that's going to combat the temps the best as was suggested.

I did a quick search and got mixed results - should I get a bag or use a tupperware container for the beads?

Thanks again for the suggestions and bead offers.

On a side note, I decided to toss both humi's as the wood is starting to warp and seals are going to be questionable. Lesson learned on open containers. I will try to get the sticks out tomorrow/thursday. They are in tupperware now so should be fine.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Glad to hear you're not giving up.

I use tupperware with holes cut out of the tops in my coolidor. When I set up my friend's humidor I used a mesh bag. In my desktop humi I use a puck with the foam taken out and replaced with beads and tubes with holes punched in them, works fine for a small humi.
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    've had a really hard time with my Humi since about Christmas time...
  • leonardleonard Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 359
    laker1963:
    leonard:
    I have a coolerdor and I leave a one litre bottle of distilled water inside all the time. When my beads start to drop off a little I open the bottle for a few days and the beads draw in what they need. This has been working for over two years now and it has been flawless. I NEVER say NEVER, but your point is taken. You do have to have the right set-up and be careful when using water in a container which could spill and get your sticks wet. I would not for instance use an open bowl of water but the bottle trick works great.
    I cant leave water in a humi or bin because I have a clean freak of a wife that will move stuff around to clean and dust :)