Home General Discussion

Question on wrappers

beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
When they use the term Maduro to describe the wrapper, I understand this to refer to a leaf that has been well fermented. Do they make maduro wrappers out of all types of wrapper leaves? Connecticut? Mexican, etc. thanks in advance 'beatnic

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Yeah, you have the right of it. Maduro is a process, not a wrapper. They apply the maduro process to many different types of leaf. I don't know if they do it to "all" leaves, since some are too delicate to take the process, but there are many different types. Connecticut Broadleaf, Mexican San Andreas, Pennsilvania Broadleaf, etc.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Not all wrappers can be maduro. Sumatra/ Cameroon is a great example. It is too thin to undergo the rough extended process. There is some out there but super rare. Mainly Cuban seeds or seeds with Cuban heritage and taken from the heartest uppermost primings of the plant.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    When fermentation takes place, it's basically controlled rotting. Therefore, you would need a thick and hearty leaf that can withstand the pressure and temperatures that are involved.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    Hey thanks guys Love to talk to people who live with passion.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    Are they all dark in color?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    JCizzle:
    Are they all dark in color?
    that depends mostly on how long they are fermented. generally a maduro is darker in color than its non maduro counterpart. I have seen some VERY dark maduros and i have seen some that are lighter than some "dark habano" the oliva serie V maduro isnt very dark compared to some maduros. but it is darker than the regular line.