Home General Discussion

Mini Cigar Boom?

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
Is it me or does it seem like we're in a little cigar boom?? I'm probably very wrong about this considering the economy..etc...but also seems there is a lot of people I know that are getting into cigars that I've never even thought would consider the idea.

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I feel like the economy is driving it. More people are looking for things to do at home and smoking cigars is something anybody can do. Win for everybody! Lol
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    ENFIDL:
    I feel like the economy is driving it. More people are looking for things to do at home and smoking cigars is something anybody can do. Win for everybody! Lol
    Until increasing demand drives prices up.
  • SigCigSigCig Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 37
    Don't know about a boom.  But...it may well be the Golden Age of cigars.  I've been smoking for almost 30 years, and have never before witnessed a time when there were so many really excellent non-cuban cigars available.  It seems like every week there's a new excellent stick that, once tried, becomes part of my rotation.  Also, there are many value price-point cigars that are excellent.  Just the opposite of the "cigar boom" of the 90's when the quality of cigars was horrendous.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    sightunseen:
    ENFIDL:
    If you have been paying attention to the internet discount sites prices HAVE been creeping up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    fla-gypsy:
    sightunseen:
    ENFIDL:
    If you have been paying attention to the internet discount sites prices HAVE been creeping up.
    a good part of that is SCHIP. inventories are being/have been run through. its hard to keep the price down when the cost is up.
    im sure the natural progression of things is sending the price higher as well. most of us have not been into cigars long enough to notice the price change. we cant look back and say "i remember back when a box of XX was only $60! ...Highway robbery i tell you!!"

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I also think part of it is the fact that we are all sort of fanatics when it comes to the cigar world, so we are aware of everything going on...
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    Krieg:
    Is it me or does it seem like we're in a little cigar boom?? I'm probably very wrong about this considering the economy..etc...but also seems there is a lot of people I know that are getting into cigars that I've never even thought would consider the idea.
    Yup, I think it has seen a "boom." I only hope that if regulation of tabacco gets out of hand (which will affect the cigar industry) that we can pull together as a whole to fight against it. The more people we have take an interest in cigars the better...and I do believe it helps to bring people together. :)
  • suneet21suneet21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 52
    i wouldnt say boom exactly but definitely on an uptrend. I think everything is cyclical - fashion, cars, music etc.

For me I started when i was 21/22 and it's been about 6 yrs of smoking for me. I consider myself an "old school" guy and got into cigars just b/c it seemed like a manly thing to do haha. Seeing Pacino smoke in Scarface definitely made it seem cool.

Plus I think with all the anti-smoking hippies (I live near SF, sorry) people are kinda curious to see what all the fuss is about. Hope this cigar run keeps going.
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329
    i believe we are, i'm in my 20s and none of my friends thought of smoking cigars a few years ago and now i can think of at least 10 who smoke cigars now, and everywhere i go now i see cigars being smoked escpecially at the golf course. maybe i notice this because i'm crazy about cigars and normally you don't notice certain things until you're interested in those things
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    the sales in general are up over several years ago. im not really sure its a mini boom or not.
    as far as noticing people into cigars more now than you used to, i think you hit the nail on the head. there is actually a term for that (after noticing something you notice it all the time) that i cant seem to remember now.

but think of it this way...
    not only do you pay more attention to anything cigar because you are now into them, but since you are into cigars you will gravitate to people that are also into them. many of my friends smoke. when i look back at how they became my friends often it is because cigars were involved. a few of my friends got into cigars because of me, but not too many.

a large part of it is about perception.