Home General Discussion

Lighting up backwards.

Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
I sat down to smoke a Ccom Red Label icorona last night while talking with my dad on the patio. I had cut the stick inside and must have flipped it around because as I was lighting up I noticed the burn was a tad bit odd, and once I took a puff I realized I lit the cap end instead of the foot!
The funny thing is, it smoked perfectly fine, the draw was awesome and it stayed together all the way to the end. Now that got me to thinking, would any other parejos stay together like that one? I was wondering if sticks with draw issues (i.e. Padilla Obsidian) could be smoked backwards to alleviate draw issues. Am I just crazy or do you guys think this could work?

Comments

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    hahaha, since I typicall take the band off before Lighting up, I'm sure I've smoked a few perfectos backwards in my day. Never really thought much of it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I tried this intentionally once to see what would happen. The cigar itself tasted the same, but once it burned past the cap it started to unravel...not surprising really, as I kind of expected that to happen.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I think smoking backwards could be just what the Obsidian needs. Nothing else seems to work.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I've done that with a Gurkha Centurian. Don't think it really matters much on that one. Damn fine smoke too!
    Yeah, I've been through a few boxes of the Master's Selct Perfectos over the years. Its been a great go-to cigar for me. Never had a centurion, but I only hear good things.

This thread got me thinking though, and now I have a question for people. Do perfectos have "caps" or something to keep that end together while you light the other end? I'm embarrassed that I don't know this, becuase I've been through 2 1/2 boxes of various sizes of these, but since both ends are already open I just never looked that close. So, does anyone know an answer to this? And if so, what do you call it, becasuse its not like a traditional cap that you have to remove?

The reason it popped into my head, is that I just smoked one over the weekend. I had the label off about a half hour before I lit up, had to get the mower out, so obviously, I could have lit it upside down. This one unraveled on me after about an inch, which happens occassionally with these for me. So after thinking more about it after posting above, I bet that means I smoked it upside down and once the "cap" was burned through, it unraveled which makes perfect sense. Maybe I'm just making this up. I don't know. I'm going to check when I get home, but does anyone know this offhand?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    boydmcgowan:
    Yeah, I've been through a few boxes of the Master's Selct Perfectos over the years. Its been a great go-to cigar for me. Never had a centurion, but I only hear good things.

This thread got me thinking though, and now I have a question for people. Do perfectos have "caps" or something to keep that end together while you light the other end? I'm embarrassed that I don't know this, becuase I've been through 2 1/2 boxes of various sizes of these, but since both ends are already open I just never looked that close. So, does anyone know an answer to this? And if so, what do you call it, becasuse its not like a traditional cap that you have to remove?

The reason it popped into my head, is that I just smoked one over the weekend. I had the label off about a half hour before I lit up, had to get the mower out, so obviously, I could have lit it upside down. This one unraveled on me after about an inch, which happens occassionally with these for me. So after thinking more about it after posting above, I bet that means I smoked it upside down and once the "cap" was burned through, it unraveled which makes perfect sense. Maybe I'm just making this up. I don't know. I'm going to check when I get home, but does anyone know this offhand?
    What perfecto shape are you talking about? Like the La Aurora Preferidos shape? Those should have caps on both ends. As for cigars that are like the Fuente Hemingways, they don't necessarily have a cap on the foot end I don't think, but it's obvious which end is which on those.
    docbp87:
    boydmcgowan:

What perfecto shape are you talking about? Like the La Aurora Preferidos shape? Those should have caps on both ends. As for cigars that are like the Fuente Hemingways, they don't necessarily have a cap on the foot end I don't think, but it's obvious which end is which on those.
    Thanks man. So, my perfecto experience is only the Gurkha Perfectos, which are the same shape as the La Auroras. I've never seen a La Aurora in person though, but the Gurkhas are symetrical with the largest ring guage in the center tapering gradually to both ends which are open and therefore typically don't need to be cut unless the draw is tight. Is this the same as the La Auroras? Is there a little strip of extra wrapper on both ends to keep it bound even though the end id open? I'm at work and check yet, but thats what I'm asking. Is there something there to keep at least one end bound? and of so whats it called? I appreciate the answer to a question I probably should have figured out years ago. hahaha.
  • suneet21suneet21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 52
    i've smoked a La Aurora Preferido backwards once after too long of a work day...was still a fantastic smoke.

Unfortunately I did that with a cigarette once once after one too many drinks. That story did not end as well.
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 633
    I've done it with the Gurkha Centurian too and it didn't matter still smoked pretty good.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Pacman84:
    I've done it with the Gurkha Centurian too and it didn't matter still smoked pretty good.
    The last Centurian I had made me start calling them "shotguns" cause for some reason, it felt like it took my head clean off! I still felt it the next day