Home General Discussion

Recommendations?

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
Heading over to my B&M after work with a couple of delicious vanilla java porters. The owner's got a pretty cool BYOB policy...no surcharge. Would like to know if anyone has any smoke suggestions that would compliment the beverage, and vice versa. I really like the Don Pepin Garcia blue label, and was thinking of trying a Cuban Classic.

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    Stick with the Don Pepin Blue but try a lancero.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I love the CC. It's spicy and peppery but really balanced and tasty. I imagine it would compliment your porters nicely. Even if it doesn't compliment it well I bet you'll still enjoy the smoke.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    lcpleel:
    Stick with the Don Pepin Blue but try a lancero.
    ... but you should pick up a Cuban Classic while you are there, especially if you've never had one before. They're a great stick! I recommend them in the 1979 size if you can get it.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Consider the JJ also, absolutely delicious
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Finished up that Cuban Classic a little while ago. In all it was an enjoyable smoke with equally enjoyable company. My palette is a bit novice but here's what I thought...Cigar had a great draw to it 2/3 of the way through, got a little tight toward the end and I had to do a bit of puffing. Thought the first 3rd had a woody flavor to it. Very mellow. Second third I picked up on more peppery spices. Didn't have to even out my burn till about halfway through, either. Last third is when the spices really kicked up and the cigar really started hitting me. The one problem I had though was in the last third, the wrapper started coming undone, after I took off the band. Not sure if that was a construction flaw, or just a result of me peeling off the band. In spite of that, I enjoyed it. Went well with my coffee porter. I will say I preferred the Don Pepin Garcia blue label. I have one more of those in my humidor so I think I will let it sit for a while.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    y2pascoe:
    Finished up that Cuban Classic a little while ago. In all it was an enjoyable smoke with equally enjoyable company. My palette is a bit novice but here's what I thought...Cigar had a great draw to it 2/3 of the way through, got a little tight toward the end and I had to do a bit of puffing. Thought the first 3rd had a woody flavor to it. Very mellow. Second third I picked up on more peppery spices. Didn't have to even out my burn till about halfway through, either. Last third is when the spices really kicked up and the cigar really started hitting me. The one problem I had though was in the last third, the wrapper started coming undone, after I took off the band. Not sure if that was a construction flaw, or just a result of me peeling off the band. In spite of that, I enjoyed it. Went well with my coffee porter. I will say I preferred the Don Pepin Garcia blue label. I have one more of those in my humidor so I think I will let it sit for a while.
    Toro size BTW.