Home General Discussion

Letting them rest

y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
General knowlege seems to be longer you let a cigar sit in your humidor the better, allowing the oils and nuances in the leaf to mingle with one another, providing a better smoking experience. What I'm curious about is how long the cigar has been sitting in a properly humidified environment prior to ending up in your hands? I just order a daily deal from this site of some pretty good cigars (so I've read). How long should I assume they've been kept in storage prior to me getting them? I ask because I'm going to be pretty eager to smoke them, but I read it's better to keep them a while.

Comments

• Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    From what I understand, even if they were kept a while at ccom or wherever they were stored, the trip can throw them out of whack a bit and you want a while in the consistency of your humidor to fix this no matter what the prior situation was.
  • brizzzinebrizzzine Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    Most cigars I receive in the mail are over-humidified. I have received some that were like a wet sponge. Honestly, places like CI and CCOM are moving a lot of product so it is unlikely that your items have been sitting for a long time before you received them.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    I like to give em an absolute minimim of 4-6 weeks of rest, but sometimes thats not possible.

Sometimes... they be callin me man. THEY BE CALLIN ME!!!!! :-)

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    From what I understand, most cigars from Nicaragua, Honduras, DR, etc, are all aged by the manufacturer for a few years after they're rolled; cubans on the other hand, are shipped out as soon as they're rolled, but even then, the LCDH stores age them by themselves for a bit
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    y2pascoe:
    General knowlege seems to be longer you let a cigar sit in your humidor the better, allowing the oils and nuances in the leaf to mingle with one another, providing a better smoking experience. What I'm curious about is how long the cigar has been sitting in a properly humidified environment prior to ending up in your hands? I just order a daily deal from this site of some pretty good cigars (so I've read). How long should I assume they've been kept in storage prior to me getting them? I ask because I'm going to be pretty eager to smoke them, but I read it's better to keep them a while.
    most cigars that are rolled outside of Cuba enter the factory's aging room and sit there for 6 months or more. they are then packed up and sent to ccoms warehouse. that transit probably has some effect on the cigars. then they may or may not sit at the warehouse. ccom tends to slightly over humidify before shipment. if you live very close, you may get them over humidified. if you live very far away, they may not be. either way, to regulate the humidity to the place that you want it you need to let the cigars rest.

though they may have rested for a while before they got to you, they probably need a bit just to even them out ofter shipping.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    The Sniper:
    I like to give em an absolute minimim of 4-6 weeks of rest, but sometimes thats not possible.

Sometimes... they be callin me man. THEY BE CALLIN ME!!!!! :-)

I know what you mean, man. I got some good samplers for Christmas and I want to try them all, but my only smoking options are standing outside and freezing my butt off, or going to my local B&M to smoke them. I can't wait til spring.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    y2pascoe:
    I ordered some box bedlam around Christmas (5 Vegas Triple A and Diesel Unlimiteds) I can't remember the date on the Diesel but the 5 Vegas were from some time in 2009...One of the things I like about ordering Cubans is they come from Havana House here in Canada, you could get a box with a couple months or you could get a box with a couple years, just happens to be whatever the order filler grabs for you...the best surprise I got was of one of my faves Cohiba Siglo VI's witgh a box date of 2005...WOW! What I like to do if I buy a "smoking box" is take 5 and put them in my aging humi then try and let the others stabalize for a bit before smoking, key word is try...
  • SigCigSigCig Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 37
    Patience is a virtue.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    All the guys on here have good points....the trip can put them off a little bit so some home rest time is rarely bad. That said sometimes I just can't wait and I will fire one up right away upon arrival. Most of the time they are fine. If not though (assuming it's something new I'm trying) I will give them more time. Usually I am more inclined to give the stronger cigars I have (5Vegas AAA, MOW Ruination, Diesel Unlimited) longer rest time as they will do nothing but improve with rest. Hard to do though when you are excited about trying something new!
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    This is probably the only thing good to come from having a crazy cold and nasty winter this year: more age on my sticks when I can finally sit out and enjoy them.

Nah, I take it back, eff this cold. ;)
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 938
    SigCig:
    Patience is a virtue.
    yes it is, which is why it's so hard to see them sitting there ;)
  • suneet21suneet21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 52
    If I've ordered a box of cigars...I've never noticed too much of a difference between smoking one right away or after 4-6 weeks.

I will say for cigars aged over a year...they do smooth out quite a bit but loose a lot of the nicotine, which I don't prefer.