Home General Discussion

New to the cigar world and need advice...

maarlonjmaarlonj Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been a cigarette smoker for years and have recently tried a cigar that a friend gave me. Needless to say I liked the flavor and am ready to move on to cigar smoking. I know that it will take time for me to try and develop my own individual taste for the type of cigar that I will grow into but my big question is about the humidor. Is it best to buy one that has the climate control system in it or do as I have been suggested and buy one and then learn to regulate the humidor.

Thanks for any advice offered...

MJ

maarlonj@gmail.com

Comments

• xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    maarlonj:

I have been a cigarette smoker for years and have recently tried a cigar that a friend gave me. Needless to say I liked the flavor and am ready to move on to cigar smoking. I know that it will take time for me to try and develop my own individual taste for the type of cigar that I will grow into but my big question is about the humidor. Is it best to buy one that has the climate control system in it or do as I have been suggested and buy one and then learn to regulate the humidor.

Thanks for any advice offered...

MJ

maarlonj@gmail.com

Glad to have you MJ. Most humidors that fit on the desktop have what is called a "puck" that you put distilled water in which is absorbed by the interior wood and by the cigars inside. Many of us use other methods such as humidity beads that actively absorb and release moisture to heel the relative humidity at a constant. Most of us recommend using something else other than the "puck" that comes with humidors.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Others can elaborate (playoffs are on; can't stay long), but a climate control system is expensive, but if you can afford it, it's a simple fire-and-forget system; humidors take maintenance - a week to season, and require periodic checkups every few days to make sure the humidifier is charged and the sticks are ok, but they look really nice and are the traditional way to store cigars

If you've got the money, go for a climate control system (Ccom is set to stock a really nice one in about a month or two; expected to run around $1500 or $2000), but you can search around for a coolderdor or vinotemp humidor/wineador for less expensive methods.

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Save the money and skip the climate control system...spend it on cigars! Here is what you really need to know to start out:

1. Whatever size of humidor you think you need, buy at least 2 sizes bigger. Humidors will fill up faster than anyone ever realizes.

2. Get rid of the foam stuff they the humidors come with and use beads. Take the dimensions of the humidor you buy and plug it into the calculator on Link to Calculator Whatever amount it says you need, double it.

3. Get a digital hydro, the analogs don't update quick enough and are usually off.

4. Have fun!
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Oh...and one more thing...I like getting glass top humidors, because I can see what my RH and Temp is without having to open the lid...just something to consider before you buy.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    I agree with 100% of what Krieg said... Go with beads and digital hygro... and Glass Top is great for checking the RH without having to open... it seems silly, but it's a really nice option to have...
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    I'll second the coolidor idea, you can cheaply store a massive amount of sticks.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Welcome to ccom!! Great bunch of guys here! I just sent you a PM.