Home General Discussion

Alec Bradley Cigars

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
I'm really getting into AB cigars...which ones have you had and what did you think of them?? Has anyone tried their new New York city only release? (called New York, of course)

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I've tried the Maxx and it stunk....the one I am really in to right now is the Tempus, real good stick, I would like to try the Maduro Tempus...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    So far I've had the harvest habano, scr, prensado and tempus. I've got more of those in the humi as well as some family blend. I like the tempus the best by far and I have high hopes for the family blend which is why I'm waiting for a nice occasion to bust it out. The scr was disappointing to me but it has been butt cold here so I'm also going to wait until better conditions before I have the other one.

That's cool you've found a line you're getting into. I feel the same way right now, I've really been getting into CAO.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I've had The Maxx, The Family Blend, and The Tempus, I will not be buying any Alec Bradley cigars again.
    They did not have a ton of flavor and the tempus burned like damp wood. It would go out in between puffs.

Needless to say I've written off the brand.

• t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    I've only had the Tempus and the Prensado. They were ok imo. The Prensado was more my taste than the Tempus. I have a SCR, Tempus Maduro and a Family Blend i'm waiting to try. Hopefully I'll find one that is just right.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I've had the Tempus and Family Blend both of which I really enjoyed. I'm looking to get some more Family Blend soon as I remember some REALLY good flavors there that I couldn't nail down but want to re-visit. I've only had one Tempus but the FB made more of an impression on me than it did.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I've never had a good experience with the Tempus Habano. But I really like the Tempus Maduro. Most of the AB stuff I've tried is very bitter tasting to me. I think they need plenty of resting time. 6-8 months maybe.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    lilwing88:
    I've never had a good experience with the Tempus Habano. But I really like the Tempus Maduro. Most of the AB stuff I've tried is very bitter tasting to me. I think they need plenty of resting time. 6-8 months maybe.
    IMO, the Tempus maduro is pretty good. Very hearty, full bodied smoke, loved it. Too bad they are so hard to find, well for me anyways. I had the MAXX, and MAXX brazilian, both were pretty good sticks. Although I smoked them after about a year on them. I also have had 1 SCR, wasn't bad...but I bought 2 at the time and the 2nd one has been aging now for about 2 years...wonder how it will compare. The Harvest selection I bought when Ccom first offered them...and have to say they tasted like crap. Hopefully now they taste better with a little age on them, but I am hesitant to smoke that one. I picked up a Family Blend torpedo last week at the cigar bar...haven't had one yet, but can't wait to try it. So far, i think my favorites are probably the Tempus maduro and MAXX Brazilian.
    t_evan50:
    I've only had the Tempus and the Prensado. They were ok imo. The Prensado was more my taste than the Tempus. I have a SCR, Tempus Maduro and a Family Blend i'm waiting to try. Hopefully I'll find one that is just right.
    I have one of the Prensados in my humi too, how did it compare to the Tempus?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I've had the Tempus Quadrum, Family Blend, Maxx, Maxx Vice Press, and 1997 Harvest. For some reason, all of them lost about 90% of their flavor after the first two inches and the burn would suddenly go out every 10 seconds. My humi is 67 to 70 rh. Don't know if it's a blending issue or if all Alec Bradley stuff is meant to be dry boxed, but so far, it's been disappointing.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I've never had any construction or draw problems with an AB so that's "a okay" in my book. I've only had the Harvest Selection and SCR but recently was gifted a couple Tempus and a Harvest Selection Habano that I plan on trying soon.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I love Prensado and Tempus.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Krieg:
    t_evan50:
    I have one of the Prensados in my humi too, how did it compare to the Tempus?
    The description of the Prensado is pretty much spot on. A very good blend of sweet and spicy. I would say its a bit smoother than the Tempus and def. has some sweeter tones to it. especially the about 2/3 in. The burn was excellent as well, but so was the Tempus. I tend to lean more toward the sweeter side (corojo vs maduro) so it's not a "go to" for me, but definitely worth a visit.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I love the Tempus & SCR (Only ones I've tried so far)
    I don't hear too much about this cigar, but the Vice Press robusto is pretty enjoyable. I had that one back in September and been meaning to get some more. Very slow burning, the robo took 1.5- 2hrs to smoke for me!
  • kingofallbackskingofallbacks Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 93
    I can't get enough of the Tempus. IMO it has fantastic flavor and aroma.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    I've only tried the Maxx and it had no flavor at all. Absolutely none. It was like smoking distilled water!
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I've had Tempest (one of my favorites) SCR not a bad stick smoked with age on stick, Habano, 1997 Harvest select. I like his stuff but Tempest is my fav, the others are ok and stock only as sales dictate.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Love the Tempus, Tempus Maduro, and Family Blend. The Prensado is really a great smoke as well, but lacks any sort of wow factor. Sun Grown is good, great even for a cheap smoke. Everything else I've smoked from AB has not impressed.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I do love so AB cigars! I love the Famliy Blend, Tempus, Prensado, Maxx Brazillian, and the SCR. The SCR needs 6+ months on it IMO before it is a good smoke. I can't wait to try the Tempus Maduro. I've always been an AB whore and that is a cigar I'm excited about.
    Oh and I forgot one AB cigar! The Pryme is one they actually don't make anymore, but I think it's the best thing they have ever put out! There are hints of flavors in it that remind me of a Davidoff or Zino stick. I actually have 2 stashed away down in the aging humi... Doubt I'll ever find them again so I'm holding onto those for a long time.
    PuroFreak:
    Oh and I forgot one AB cigar! The Pryme is one they actually don't make anymore, but I think it's the best thing they have ever put out! There are hints of flavors in it that remind me of a Davidoff or Zino stick. I actually have 2 stashed away down in the aging humi... Doubt I'll ever find them again so I'm holding onto those for a long time.
    Never heard of the Pryme, wish I could find some of these to try...when did they stop making them?
    Krieg:
    PuroFreak:
    Never heard of the Pryme, wish I could find some of these to try...when did they stop making them?
    A few years ago. I even asked their head of sales and marketing and he said he hasn't seen them in a few years... I lucked out and found a shop here that had some and I snagged the last 3 they had and I smoked one of those. Haven't seen them since.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    I received a brick of 5 Prensado's for Christmas and smoked oned about a week later. It was pretty good but I think I should have let it rest a while because when I smoked a 2nd one about two weeks later there was more flavor and complexity and I enjoyed it a lot more. This is coming from someone who overwhelmingly likes connecticuts and has an underdeveloped palate.

I'm letting the other three rest for a few months and I expect to be blown away by the flavors when I give them a try.

• Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    I just recently got over my AB kick. I went through all of my Harvest Habano and the SCR faster than I have with any other sticks. The Tempus is a great one as well however I have not had the Maduro yet.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    I've never had an issue with an AB stick. I do find they tend to burn better with a humidity around 63% where I keep my cigars. I love the tempus, and prensado, but the family blend is my favorite. The SCR isnt bad at all, the 1997 Habano is much better than the regular 1997. I had the Maxx Connecicut but there are other Connies I prefer more. The other Maxx blends I've not tried yet. I have enough sticks to let any sticks I purchase rest a few months before smoking anything new in my humidor.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    SaVas:
    I've never had an issue with an AB stick. I do find they tend to burn better with a humidity around 63% where I keep my cigars. I love the tempus, and prensado, but the family blend is my favorite. The SCR isnt bad at all, the 1997 Habano is much better than the regular 1997. I had the Maxx Connecicut but there are other Connies I prefer more. The other Maxx blends I've not tried yet. I have enough sticks to let any sticks I purchase rest a few months before smoking anything new in my humidor.

+1 to all of this. I have a few humies at 70 a few at 65, ABs seem to do a ton better at 65. I would edit to say that I love Family blend and prensado, but tempus is my fav. I really like the SCR and also prefer the habano version of the '97. I've had several Maxx Maduro vitolas. They're all OK, none are overwhelmingly good (probably a little overpriced). Most of what I've had has also been around the 6 month + mark.
    So has anyone tried the AB New York?