Home General Discussion

MAN O'WAR ARMADA! OPINIONS PLEASE!

RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 106
Hello Gents!

I was dying for a cigar just a couple nights ago and I didn't want to mess around with anything mediocre so,  I reached for a Man O'War Armada. I was sure that this cigar was going to be flavorful with some complexity and deliver on all fronts (burn,draw etc.)

Then I lit up and proceeded to smoke about half the cigar...I was still waiting for something to happen. I thought Surely this $20.00 stick isn't going to taste like a Diesel Unlimited!
Getting to the point, and i want to be respectful here, ccom has a lot of great smokes......I personally didn't think this was one of them!

What do you guys think? Did you enjoy this cigar?

-Regards and Long Ashes!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I've only had one. My expectations of what kind of cigar I thought it was going to be versus what it actually is were drastically different. I didn't really enjoy it at all because of this. That being said I am sitting on my others and giving them some time to rest. I'm going to hit it again at 6 months and again at 1 year before I form a solid opinion.

It's definitely not a full bodied, powerhouse, after dinner kinda smoke. It's more of a light afternoon smoke.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Maybe this shows how good the Diesel is and what a deal they are a $3 per. I know you don't want a $20 cigar tasting like a $3 cigar but it's great to say that a $3 cigar was just as good as a $20 cigar.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    kuzi16:
    i loved it.
    This.

MOW Armada is the cigar that showed me how smooth and balanced a maduro can be. It isn't a powerhouse, so if you were expecting a kick in the teeth, you're bound to be disappointed.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I have had 2 so far not impressed thus far, I have 3 more and will see how they shape up with some time on them...I highly doubt though that I would ever be ok with the price tag on these but time will tell...the other thing I didn't care for was the draw, maybe some rest will open them up a little more...
  • newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    I haven't had any other "powerhouse" cigars like OpusX or anything, but he ligero in this cigar knocked me down a few pegs. I thought it was a great smoke besides a few draw issues that may have been due to the cold weather. To each his own, but I thought the strength and vitola alone made it worth a $20 MSRP sticker. I say this as I personally only paid $10 for it. Realistically if I was craving one, I would probably pay $10-$15 and not blink an eye. It is a nice long, flavorful, and unique smoke.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    I enjoyed the one I had. It was slow-burning which is great and terrible depending on your situation. I felt like it was perfecty constructed and burned even, but I too expected so wild mythical flavor that it didn't posses. I feel like it is a really good stick, but a bit overpriced due to it's rarity. If it was 10 to 12 bucks, id be all over them. Maybe rest will turn them to gold and my openion will change.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    This is the Beauty of this hobby. Every one has their own tastes and preferences.
    I personally loved this cigar. i smoked it ROTT and cant wait to have another once it warms up.

On the other hand of the one Diesel i have smoked i was not impressed at all. i have 1 or 2 resting that i will try again i and see if its any better.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    I liked it quite a bit. I don't like the price tag at all, but hey A.J. doesn't have very many really expensive sticks, so he needs one in that category too I suppose. I got mine at the special price Alex worked out for us when they first came to C.COM
    For the money though... I will smoke the San Lotano Habano's all day long !
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Pretyy much the same here...I expected a lot more from this stik. I have had two and like some of the other brothers here I am letting several more rest a bit. Not at all pleased with the $20 price tag...
  • DynaguyDynaguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    I was very pleased with the two samples I have tried. Tons of rich full flavor, but not at all overpowering. No bite, no bitterness, no heat. Flawless construction. if these things were $10.00 each by the box, I'd have to have one. As it is, I will just have to wait for some sort of prommotion. That being said, this is a great cigar, period.
  • WaxingMoonWaxingMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 328
    Mine look great in my humi..... I'm gonna let 'em rest for a while....
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I'm with Russ. What I expected and what I got were so different that I had a hard time enjoying this one. I enjoyed it and would probably enjoy the next one more, now that I know what to expect, but I don't see myself spending the money on any more.

Bottom line was that I was expecting a big, bold, spicy, after-dinner cigar and what I got was a smooth, slightly sweet, mild, morning coffee or afternoon at best cigar. For the type of cigar it was, I'd prefer the Perdomo ESV Maestro Tubo.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    This is a classic case of different strokes for different folks I guess. I am in love with it. to me it is the pinnacle of ultra fermented ligero leaf with a very round flavor that is nicely balanced. You dont feel the weight of the smoke as much on the palate as you do in your gut. For me the flavor seems pretty uniform but there are lots of subtle complexities on the nose and finish. My kind of smoke. I am of course horribly biased.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I'm a bit surprised at the people who describe the cigar as mild-medium...not saying you guys are wrong, as you know best how a cigar hits you, but I guess sometimes it's difficult to see when my own perceptions are so different. To me the cigar is full bodied but doesn't seem full bodied due to how smooth it is, the gut feel in unmistakable though. I get a lot out of this cigar as far as flavor and subtlety and it is immensely enjoyable to me...that said, $20 a stick is more than I can afford on anything but a special occasion cigar, which is ok because I don't think I could smoke these all the time. I think it definitely deserves the "Super Premium" description and is certainly one of the best cigars I've had.
  • brizzzinebrizzzine Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    There has been a lot of hype in the past year over new releases (Armada, Diesel Shorty/Unlimited, Ave, San Miguel, 5V Gold Maduro, etc). Just wondering if given the choice, would you guys take a Padron (your choice of 1926/1964) over the Armada? Just curious since the Padron 64/26 maduros are my higher end smokes, and less expensive than the Armada.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    brizzzine:
    There has been a lot of hype in the past year over new releases (Armada, Diesel Shorty/Unlimited, Ave, San Miguel, 5V Gold Maduro, etc). Just wondering if given the choice, would you guys take a Padron (your choice of 1926/1964) over the Armada? Just curious since the Padron 64/26 maduros are my higher end smokes, and less expensive than the Armada.
    Padron 1964 Imperial any morning, noon and night of the week, in fact I think I'll buy a box of naturals and maduro's right now, good call. That being said, I'd take one of these over probably 90 to 95% of anything I currently smoke...such a good stick, such a good vitola...
    Diamondog:

Padron 1964 Imperial any morning, noon and night of the week, in fact I think I'll buy a box of naturals and maduro's right now, good call. That being said, I'd take one of these over probably 90 to 95% of anything I currently smoke...such a good stick, such a good vitola...

The Imperial is outstanding. I have always enjoyed the Exclusivo and Principe and recently added the Imperial to my lineup. The 1926's are excellent as well but lately I find myself enjoying the '64's almost as much, and the price factor really comes into play here too.

I really wanted the Armada to live up to the hype since I don't mind paying the price for a premium smoke on a special occasion. They just don't sound like a $20 smoke so far. On the other hand, I had a $3.99 MOW Ruination #2 that smoked like a $15 stick! That's some stiff competition for the Armada!

-Bryan
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    brizzzine:
    Diamondog:
    The Imperial is outstanding. I have always enjoyed the Exclusivo and Principe and recently added the Imperial to my lineup. The 1926's are excellent as well but lately I find myself enjoying the '64's almost as much, and the price factor really comes into play here too. I really wanted the Armada to live up to the hype since I don't mind paying the price for a premium smoke on a special occasion. They just don't sound like a $20 smoke so far. On the other hand, I had a $3.99 MOW Ruination #2 that smoked like a $15 stick! That's some stiff competition for the Armada! -Bryan
    To you Padron guys out there, especially the PAM lovers, Id be curious on your thoughts on San Lotano maduro. I am not a Padron fan but their Anniversary line is tough to argue with as I still find myself smoking them from time to time and really enjoying them. That said, the San Lotano Maduro replaced my PAM fixation. Id be curious to see it anyone else has found the same.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Alex Svenson:
    brizzzine:
    Diamondog:
    The Imperial is outstanding. I have always enjoyed the Exclusivo and Principe and recently added the Imperial to my lineup. The 1926's are excellent as well but lately I find myself enjoying the '64's almost as much, and the price factor really comes into play here too. I really wanted the Armada to live up to the hype since I don't mind paying the price for a premium smoke on a special occasion. They just don't sound like a $20 smoke so far. On the other hand, I had a $3.99 MOW Ruination #2 that smoked like a $15 stick! That's some stiff competition for the Armada! -Bryan
    To you Padron guys out there, especially the PAM lovers, Id be curious on your thoughts on San Lotano maduro. I am not a Padron fan (fan of the people/ business) but their Anniversary line is tough to argue with as I still find myself smoking them from time to time and really enjoying them. That said, the San Lotano Maduro replaced my PAM fixation. Id be curious to see it anyone else has found the same.
    I guess I'm lucky enough to not know the Padron's on a personal/business level, so I can thoroughly enjoy their smokes. The 80th anniversary is by far the best cigar I've ever had. The '64 line is fantastic, and I really enjoy the 000 series as well. I tend to like natural more than maduro, but I actually put the San Lotano Maduro in my cigar case to smoke this weekend. I'll try to keep an open mind - but as a padron lover, it's tough to compare anything against them :)
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I enjoyed the one Armada I've had greatly. It was a little mellower than I was expecting, but, I like to enjoy the moment I'm in for what it is, rather than to expect reality to meet my expectations. If that happened, I'd be bored all the time.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Alex Svenson:
    brizzzine:
    Diamondog:
    To you Padron guys out there, especially the PAM lovers, Id be curious on your thoughts on San Lotano maduro. I am not a Padron fan (fan of the people/ business) but their Anniversary line is tough to argue with as I still find myself smoking them from time to time and really enjoying them. That said, the San Lotano Maduro replaced my PAM fixation. Id be curious to see it anyone else has found the same.
    Alex thanks for basically telling me what stick I will be smoking tonight. I love the 64 and if the Lotano even comes close to that it will be a regular stick of mine. I've yet to try an Armada cause I want them to rest for at least 6mo. but I think there is a lot of $20+ sticks that won't beat out the 64 mad. imo.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Unthought_Known:
    I guess I'm lucky enough to not know the Padron's on a personal/business level, so I can thoroughly enjoy their smokes.
    Don't think you understood; If you can, pick up the latest issue of Cigar Snob, the one with the chick in the bikini on the cover. It has a good write-up about the Padron family, what they've been through, what their idea/reason for cigars are, etc. It's a really good article, and they look like a bunch of stand-up guys.

I must be overlooking something, but where can I find the San Lotano? I looked all over the site and couldn't find it.
    brizzzine:
    I must be overlooking something, but where can I find the San Lotano? I looked all over the site and couldn't find it.
    It is a retail only brand and as such cant be advertised in catalogs or on the internet per the manufacturer. that said, we do stock them but you need to call in for pricing and availability.
    Ok thanks. Would love to give it a shot so I'll call in when I place my next order.

-Bryan
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I've said this before, but I guess that's why they make more than one cigar, because of different tastes. I've only had one of the Armadas so far and I really enjoyed it. No burn issues and I thought the flavors were great.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    WaxingMoon:
    Mine look great in my humi..... I'm gonna let 'em rest for a while....
    +1.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Sorry for jumping in late here..... I really enjoyed the Armada. To me, it's up there with Padron 64, AF Anejo, Camacho TM and Ashton VSG. Lots of flavor and strength. No harshness, bitterness or construction issues. I've only had one, so far, but plan on making it a regular in my humi.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Unthought_Known:
    Alex Svenson:
    I guess I'm lucky enough to not know the Padron's on a personal/business level, so I can thoroughly enjoy their smokes. The 80th anniversary is by far the best cigar I've ever had. The '64 line is fantastic, and I really enjoy the 000 series as well. I tend to like natural more than maduro, but I actually put the San Lotano Maduro in my cigar case to smoke this weekend. I'll try to keep an open mind - but as a padron lover, it's tough to compare anything against them :)
    I wound up having the San Lotano Maduro last weekend. Alex was pretty accurate with his comparison to PAM. I wouldn't say it's as good as a PAM, but it was a very good stick and there were definite similarities in taste between San Lotano and Maduro.

After aging Nica Libre's for a year, I've actually started to taste some PAM flavors. I think they use the same wrapper as PAM, and I guess the wrapper taste is more pronounced after proper aging. With that said, I put the San Lotano Maduro somewhere between Nica Libre and PAM. It's definitely better than Nica Libre (better construction, better burn), but not quite on par with PAM. And keep in mind, I think Nica Libre is great - I'm not trying to 'put down' the San Lotano by using Nica Libre in the comparison.

One other thing - I'm usually not too into Maduro's. Even with Padron, I prefer Natural to Maduro. But I had the San Lotano Habano last weekend, and thought the Maduro was definitely better.