Home General Discussion

Trying to prove to my Wife, need help

denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
My Wife has started to really have a problem with my cigar hobby. She's using the whole "cancer" thing as her excuse. I've done a little research and all I can really find is that if I smoke every day, I have a risk.
I only want to smoke once a week though and the only info I can find says "there is no proof that one cigar a week causes cancer".
If anyone has any better info, I would appreciate it. Just trying to be fair. She gets her bath at the end of the day and that's her reading time. I would like some time by myself once a week to relax also.
Thanks

Comments

• xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    I would really like this info as well
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    ehhh, this kinda topic has come up before on every cigar forum. IIRC, all anyone can ever find, for - or - against cigars, is just piecemeal stuff about how a few cigars a month won't do anything, but smoking a lot is bad for you ("a lot" never really being defined). Most of the studies have been done on cigarette smokers (but cigarettes have all sorts of chemicals added, while cigars have nothing added), and even then, it focuses heavily on chain smokers; I don't think there's been any large studies done on cigars.

EDIT - seems Kuzi proved me

xmacro:
    ehhh, this kinda topic has come up before on every cigar forum. IIRC, all anyone can ever find, for - or - against cigars, is just piecemeal stuff about how a few cigars a month won't do anything, but smoking a lot is bad for you ("a lot" never really being defined). Most of the studies have been done on cigarette smokers, and even then, it focuses heavily on chain smokers; I don't think there's been any large studies done on cigars.
    the second link above will define things a bit better.
    if i can find it there was one study where "a lot" was defined as "6 churchill sized cigars a day"
    even then it was better than cigarettes.
    xmacro:
    EDIT - seems Kuzi proved me

here for you, man.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I hate to be a downer but you're going to have a tough time finding good info on this. The main reason is that good info just doesn't really exist for any correlation between cigars and cancer (especially for smoking less than 1 per day).

The only studies that are actually worth a damn are all about cigarettes and first hand exposure. Beyond that and there's just not enough data to prove anything (if you see someone declare something they're likely torturing some poor statistic or just inferring causation = correlation to further their own agenda). Now, I haven't read EVERYTHING (in fact, to be honest I have read very little other than the base conclusions of the study) so I'm not an expert on the studies.

What I *am* good at is statistics so I can tell you something that happens alot to watch out for. They did this with the second hand smoke study. Basically: don't trust percentages. There was a study that said exposure to second hand smoke increased the liklihood you would get cancer by 25%. Scary right? I mean 25% is alot.

In reality what happend is that people in the study not exposed to SHS had a 10:1,000,000 chance to get cancer. Folks that were exposed had a 12.5:1,000,000 chance. Technically that's a 25% increase in your liklihood, but in reality your "cancer chance" only went from 0.001% to 0.00125%. Not nearly as sensational when you put it that way.

I would be interrested if you find anything that looks like a good study and would be more than willing to give it the old scientific/statistic once-over to tell you how sound/spun the data is.

Edit: Kuzi posted while I was typing this. Going to read the links he has provided.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    If I remember correctly, the Cigarcyclopedia article indicated that the correlation between "normal" consumption of cigars and cancer when compared to non-smokers is statistically insignificant.

Sucks to hear that your wife is trying to stop you (with good intentions) from enjoying this hobby. Hopefully, the articles Kuzi posted will give you some useful information. There are way worse "habits" you could be doing in my opinion.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I could be totally off here, and without getting too personal, but...she just had a baby right? After my wife had our son she was really emotional about a lot of things, and not always totally rational. "Proving" it may not work. You might just have to compromise and wait a bit for things to settle down. In time she'll probably come around, or not. I don't know. Like I said I could be way off, just tell me to shut up if I am. Smile [:)]
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329
    i'd be like "thats the risk i'm willing to take and scientists don't know what causes cancer they say just being next to a wall causes cancer, if you're so worried about cancer we might as well knock down every wall in this house because it causes cancer too". But don't listen to me i'm not married and never have been.
  • wannabe.otakuwannabe.otaku Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 20
    Point out to her that the sulfates in her bathing soaps also pose a risk to her, and that the ink used to print books causes black lung. Pulled the second one out of where the sun doesn't shine, but this page, while sounding like an advertisement, might be enough to let you have your occasional smoke. My wife doesn't care that I smoke. I honestly don't smoke many at all. I got my COTM in for January and haven't touched them other than to put them in my humi. She did a lot of reading when I started smoking, and came to the conclusion that the automotive chemicals I come in contact with when I'm working on cars is far worse than an occasional cigar.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 476
    I feel your pain. I'm having the same issue, however because its cold out I haven't been smoking as much, so I haven't been hearing it as much. My opinion is that life is too short not to enjoy. My wife loves our motorcycle, but I've known more people who've died from MC wrecks than a "smoking related" cancer. Thats my arguement to her and it usually quiets her.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    While my wife doesn't have a "problem" with my cigar smoking--she likes the aroma. She did ask/express some concern regarding the risks involved. I may have mis-informed her, going with the rationale that there were no additives...a natural product...less risk tha cigarettes. It seems the risks may never have been fully assesed. I will have to share the links here with her. (Her whole attitude may change toward this hobby...)
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    Like someone stated before doctors do not completely know how cancer is caused, there is actually knew information out there that states that your body is constantly producing cancer cells but your body immune system fights it off and you only get cancer when your body can no longer keep the cancer cell under control. But that being said being a life causes cancer there are smokers out there who have never had health problems or there are people like my cousin, who was recently diagnosed with brain cancer, never has smoked anything and hardly drinks. Cancer is just to complex and we do not have all the facts.
  • MperconteMperconte Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Use George Burns as an example, he live to just short of 100 years.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Thanks Kuzi for the great info, while my wife doesn't have a problem, my mother worries.
    I will share this info with her.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    There is really no proof that one cigar per DAY causes cancer anymore so than just living on this planet.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Here's some info from the National Cancer Institute: http://www.bigredcigar.com/2010/01/health-effects-of-smoking-cigars/. I don't know about you, but I don't have any problem with their statistics.

Sorry I didn't do a snazzy 'click' thing but I can't figure out how to include a link. I guess you'll just have to copy & paste it.

Marty

Edit: You have to scroll down the page to get to the statistical charts.

• noccanocca Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 12
    If it's not one thing it's another , thats why ; they C ant U nderstand N ormal T hinking . it only get's better .
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    There is NO PROOF that ANY amount of cigars a day causes cancer. They can only prove that it raises the risk associated with it. It is the same with all the assinine so called science out there today. Real science rarely exists in our world. It seems that everyone has an agenda
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    One thing about women is that no matter what kind of info we (as men, husbands, etc) present backing ourselves up, it won't matter. They look it differently no matter what. I basically had to tell her that that I like enjoying cigars, and it's only fair...she gets to drink her wine, I get to smoke my cigars. She gave me the "it's not the samething" BS argument, but I explained to her it is what I want to do for my "ME" time. She finally gave up trying to get me to stop.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    thanks you guys. it's a ton of useful information. My wife did have a baby recently so that obviously changes the hormones, etc. these facts will be useful nonetheless.
    fla-gypsy:
    There is NO PROOF that ANY amount of cigars a day causes cancer. They can only prove that it raises the risk associated with it. It is the same with all the assinine so called science out there today. Real science rarely exists in our world. It seems that everyone has an agenda
    well said, sir.
    Causation and correlation are NOT the same thing.

• Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    Haven't read Kuzi's links yet, (looking forward to it) but something that occurs to me that I haven't seen covered above, is that STRESS is proven to be a cause of cancer to a far greater degree than most substances. Life is always a balancing act, moderation is always the key. Also, life is a fatal condition, might as well have a little fun and enjoyment in it, eh?
  • The ColonelThe Colonel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    There is probably a link there somewhere. The latest research shows a "moderate drinker" one who consumes 1-2 drinks a day, has a greater life expectancy than a non-drinker or alcoholic.. so I am a firm believer in moderation in everything. If it makes you happy, hence relaxes you, it is likely good for you. Can I produce statistics... ah not so much.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    dennisking:
    My wife did have a baby recently so that obviously changes the hormones, etc.
    Umm...yeah. BIG TIME!!!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    My wife sometimes makes a comment about how much I smoke. I usually make something up or quickly change the subject ("Look, honey.....is that a shoe sale?"). Hopefully that method works for the next 30-60 years.......

If I tried coming back with statistics, she'd be on WebMD or some other site pulling up stats quicker than you can say "double ligero".
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    lilwing88:
    Some more info here.

This is basically a rehash of the info on the charts at the website whose URL I posted above...

Good information, though, and thanks....

Marty

• dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    I have heard the same business from my wife but she knows I love it and how it relaxes me so she keeps it on the down low. Hence she will continue to remain my wife.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    My wife has never had a problem with cigars. She reminds me every Tuesday night to go smoke so she can watch Glee in peace.